Hi Sigistardust...Coversyl contains a drug called perindopril whose main dangerous side-effect is to cause renal failure due to the combination of high drug acidity and high blood pressure which always tends to destroy the delicate filtration network in the kidneys. So you were very right to refuse this drug.
To help you with your BP problem:
* Take 500 mgs Niacin(Vitamin B3) twice a day at meals. To avoid the niacin flush effect, take an aspirin 20 mins before you take the niacin. Or you can take the slow release form of niacin -- inositol hexanicotinate, which will not give the flush. Do not use the niacinamide form of B3 as this has no beneficial effect on blood pressure. See this article by Abram Hoffer. See this article on how to take niacin.
* Also take a tablespoon of Brewer's Yeast once every day in a drink -- B Vitamins always work better when supplemented naturally as a group because all the B vits are dependent on each other and tend to work together in concert. Niacin particularly acts to change the blood. Blood which is too thick or which has too much clumping will be more viscous with increased BP and increased strain on the heart. Niacin safely thins the blood, lowering BP to normal levels thus removing the strain on the heart.
*Supplement a source of Iodine. I find Lugol's Iodine the best (I been taking 8 drops or 50 mgs 5% LI a day for the last 8 years). You can also use other iodine forms like Iodoral if you wish. Iodoral is simply Lugol's Iodine in a pill. I regard iodine as an essential mineral element that everyone lacks in their diets today and most people are low thyroid as a result. Iodine also helps to solublize fats and proteins(including cholesterol) in the blood for better utilization and removal by the liver. Coronary heart disease, high BP etc can be caused by blockages or build up of fat proteins (called lipoproteins) in the blood. So supplementing lugols iodine acts to normalize these lipoprotein to more healthier levels. See these guidelines on how to supplement lugol's iodine. Iodine also increases energy, kills a wide variety of pathogens, prevents menstrual problems by normalizing hormones, increases bone density, reduces cysts formation, removes mercury, lead, aluminium, cadmium, arsenic, fluorine and bromine from the body as well as being the main ammunition needed for the immune system to help fight pathogens in all the mucus sites of the body.
* Reduce all diary in the diet to reduce your calcium intake. Lipoproteins are normally bound to calcium which can cause constriction and blockages in the blood vessels. Take 250 mgs of Magnesium Citrate twice a day with meals to help regulate excess calcium in the blood which may be causing contributing to your problems.
* Take Vitamin C -- 1, 000 mgs three times a day.
* Nattokinase. This is a protease enzyme that digests fibrin or dead organic matter in the blood vessels that can cause blockages and high BP. I would first try all the nutrients shown above on their own for a while first. If that doesn't help then use the nattokinse (which is expensive).
And being a vegetarian I should also add Vitamin B12(not in Brewer's Yeast) and some form of extra sulfur to your diet -- -like MSM(Methyl-sulfonyl-methane), ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) or N-Acetyl-Cysteine. See research on essential sulfur for the body for more ideas. Vegetarians generally always lack adequate sulfur nutrients in there diets. Sulfur can also be found in small amounts in foods like eggs, garlic and onions.
Alternative Treatment for HBP
Start off by getting a blood pressure monitor at the drugstore. Take it yourself and keep a record of what it is. Then, practice 'calming' techniques--deep breathing, etc, and learn how to get it down that way. Make a list of everything you take and then check each item to see if it can raise your bp. the dgl licorice for my ulcer would raise mine, so even 'natural' things we take can make it go up. Besides that, do some research on this site and see what else you can do. If your bp is normal when you take it yourself, then you can show this to the dr and demonstrate that he causes it to go up.