Effective Natural Remedies for Burns

Cool Water
Posted by Bret (Sweet Home, Oregon, U.s.) on 06/15/2012
5 out of 5 stars

While attempting to mow a friends back lawn, I accidently touched the mowers engine, within seconds, I had lost feeling in my right middle finger and had a nasty blister forming on my right ring finger. After rushing home, I filled a small glass with water and added 3 cubes of ice. This happened maybe 20 minutes ago. That's right, as I'm typing, my right middle and ring finger are still submerged in the cold water. Aside from limiting mobility, I can't even feel the pain right now.


Cool Water
Posted by Msg (Somewhere, Europe) on 04/26/2010
5 out of 5 stars

interesting. in my house whenever anyone gets a burn on their hand, the remedy is to go wash dishes! the results are as you describe.


Cool Water
Posted by Lorrie (Cameron Park, California) on 04/25/2010
5 out of 5 stars

Burn remedy

I was working in a sand candle making business. After forming the candle they had to be dipped in 250 degree wax to coat them. A large candle I was hand dipping slipped out of my hand and made the hot wax splash up on my hand past my wrist. My boss was there and grabbed me and filled a coffee can with regular cold (but not too) tap water. She had me keep my burn completely immersed for at least 30 minutes. When I removed my hand from the water, not only was the pain gone, but I also didn't blister and there was no permanent skin damage. A couple of years later I was working in a pizza parlor. The oven is usually around 500 degrees. I was scraping the stone that the pizzas sit on when it got stuck behind the stone. When I tried to pull it out my right hand came up and hit the top stone. The whole thumb side half of the back of my hand was burned. I grabbed a wet towel and put it around my hand till I could get to a water source and fill a bucket. I immersed my hand for a full 30 minutes (much to the displeasure of my boss). Once again not only did the pain go away, but also there was no blistering or any lasting scar. The skin was slightly discolored for a day or so. It seems that the most important thing for a burn is to seal it off from air. Also part of the shock of a burn is a rapid evaporation of fluid to the affected area. Simple water - not too cold - seemed to do the trick in both cases. It's been over 30 years since both incidents and I have never had any scarring or weakness of the affected areas.