I have not been aware of "white tongue" as a condition until more recently, having it begin to dawn on me. Looking back from late teen years, I kept good oral heigene, but my breath was offensive, and I didn't know how to alleviate it. In later years the tongue became the focus of concern. Will toothpaste break down that white coating on the tongue? No. Somehow I began to find relief by bringing a heaping load of baking soda into my mouth on my toothbrush. I would then press the powder against the roof of my mouth for a while, then brush and rinse it off as well. It was a great help, actually chemically breaking down that white coating. It was so helpful that I began to put baking powder in a small jar and having it with my toothpaste when I travel. I've also gargled with water and some hydrogen peroxide. Salt water is great too, but I want to avoid the table salt containing aluminum, added in as a non-caking agent.
Of interest to those here. There is a "detox" diet, which I tried a few years ago and I believed helped me much in overall health, giving relief to a burdened liver (as the whites of my eyes were jaundiced looking.)
after getting I'll and seeing a very jaundiced look in my eyes, I went ahead and comitted to this Stanley Burough's "Master Cleanser" or lemonade diet. My mother had tried it. One thing you do when on the diet (10 day minimum) is monitor your tongue. Within. Few days on that detox, the tongue become a white shag carpet as the body begins to operate a cellular house cleaning. The tongue indicates the progress. And when do you note you're clean? The tongue turns pink and the white coating is gone.
I did that cleanse diet (a little yellow book at the health food store,) and found that in 30 days I did not get rid of white tongue, which indicates I am still full of toxins, despite all the absolutely vile stuff I hacked up when on the diet. I will begin that diet anew after thanksgiving. Perhaps this round I'll obtain that enviable pink tongue.
When on that diet, I must relate that I only needed 6 hours of sleep a night to feel very rested, nor did I toss and turn. I always awoke and felt bright, easily able to rise from bed. I had energy all day and ambition not evident since my teen years.
One other thing to share, that last time I got sick and jaundiced looking, I took up the free bio-meridian scan offered by Dr Jack Stockwell in SLC on his radio show. They tested me and the technition asked: "what have you done to your lungs? You have done damage to your lungs, you've got scar tissue in your lungs and are loaded in the abdomen with toxins."
Bingo. I was becoming a believer in the scan. My Sr. year of high school I was in a finishing room in the woodshop two hours a day for a few months. It was toxic. The year after I graduated, the fire Marshall condemned the place, forcing a wall to be knocked out and many more exhaust fans installed. My time there resulted in my developing an athsmatic condition, where I just struggled to get air. After a year it seemed this condition left me and I forgot about it until that scan affirmed lung damage and toxins were in my system.
So is that the basis of my white tongue? Will another long 2-3 weeks on the lemonaide diet cleanse me enough to obtain permanantly that white tongue? I shall see.
Thanks for the site and the reading of all these posts dealing with white tongue. It's very informative.
Helo im here coz i stil have white coating on my tongue and halitosis as well, i tried brushng my tongue using baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and now the charcoal powder..And i stil have a sour taste n my mouth when i wake up. Somebody plz help me get rid of ths embarasing problem.
I've experimented with the white tongue for 6 months. Tried:
1. Honey. No success.
2. Salt - strong effect, but no success.
3. Oregano Oil - stings, but no success.
4. Peppermint Oil - failure.
5. Listerine(Eucalptus oil) - failure.
6. Baking Soda - success for 1 day, failure afterwards.
7. Borax - success for 1 day, failure afterwards.
8. Diluted Bleach - turns tounge white, failure.
9. Acidified Bleach - 1/2 cap of bleach plus 2 TBSP ACV. This should create Hypochlorite. Turns toungue whiter. No success. This is supposed to have 10x the killing power of bleach.
10. Olive Oil - this started to turn my teeth yellow. Bad Failure. Candida may feed on the Oleic acid in Olive Oil. I dunno, but I ended this experiment early.
11. Turmeric - partial improvement. Temporary. Turns tounge yellow.
12. Mega-Garlic - partial improvement. Temporary. Tongue turns brown. I got some bloodblisters on the "cheek-gums" where white blisters previously existed. Took a few days. But these multi-month whit cheek blisters actually healed. This one probably works if you're willing to follow it through for a month.
13. Coconut Oil. Partial Success. Assuming it's candida, I will say that this kills the Aeorbic form, and not the Anerobic form. Some of the white stuff instantly disappears, and some doesn't. Coconut oil definitely does something.
14. Vinnegar and Borax mix. This is at least as good as the coconut oil. Two anti-infectives mixed. Success is temporary, but you can prevent any infection from getting worse... at least hold it to a stalemate. There is a commercial drug that uses this (Dermapet). I don't mention the brand name to promote it, but instead to say there is science behind it, and clinical studies, which are listed on the website. On a side note... I have tried three different ACV's, Heinz, Publix, and _____s. I suspect the organic one, braggs, to have live acidophilus whereas the others which were pasteurized don't... as the braggs aftertaste lasted for 24 hours. Most of the white stuff disappears, some of it doesn't.
15. Potassium Iodide(KI) - placed a 64 mg ki pill on the white area of the gum, that wasn't cured by the ACV/Borax mix... cured that area... I'm thinking that's the anerobic form of candida.
16. Providone - once per day - does something. Also turns toungue brown.
17. Providone/Borax mix. The comparable drug is by Frio Technologies. This has clinical trials ongoing, with success on Gingivitis, and ongoing testing for Thrush. Whereas Providone turns your tongue brown, this mix doesn't.
18. Providone - 6x per day. Started this a week ago. I've seen zero yeast in my mouth for a week. Got the blood-blister effect like the garlic (without being smellY). Seen no yeast in my mouth for a week. 1/2 of the top of my tongue turned dark brown. Seems to be scabbing up and healing. No need for the tongue scraper any more. I think I have a cure, but need more time (wait for the scabs to heal).
A healthy mouth has 600 different bacteria plus fungus's, virus's, protozoa. Perhaps the definition of healthy mouth is flawed. Something is broken in mine. We'll see if I can fix it. Current Regimin is Coconut oil plus Providone(Iodine).
Iodine supposedly kills 90% of bacteria, disolves starches(yeast), and metals. If you are iodine deficient, which I may be(2 billion people are (WHO), this may help. Bacteria and yeast may reproduce quick so doseage may be small, but frequent(ie every couple hours).
I believe I have a cure, but need more time. Will re-post in 1 week or 2.
Boca Raton, Fl
Tucson, Arizona Usa
San Jose, Ca
Los Angeles, Ca
White coating on tongue: I tried all of the remedies suggested on this page and none of them worked! I was wondering if it meant baking powder of bicarbonate of soda? Anyway, completely by accident I discovered that if you put a pea sized amount of special tooth and gum toothpaste for treating gum disease on your tongue for a minute, it will give a pink tongue for the day! This is only temporary and it tastes yucky, but it is simple and easy.
EC: In the USA, we call bicarbonate of soda (and not baking powder) "Baking Soda".
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Trussville, Alabama, USA
I have had a coated tongue for quite some time now. I tried oil pulling two nights ago swishing the oil in my mouth for 20 minutes. After I spit and brushed my teeth my tongue was bright pink. I couldn't believe it! Thank You
Carson City, NV
San Francisco, California, Usa
Better But With Side Effects
I found this site because I was searching for a rememdy for the whiteness on my tounge. I struggled with the idea of OP for about a week and decided to do it. The first time I did it I did it for 20 minutes, but immediatly noticed my tounge was nice and pink again. The second day and beyond (now on my 5th day), i got a cold sore which I get very infrequently,and I also would get weird headaches too, so I hope it is s good sign. It is one of the worst cold sores I have ever had BTW, and I also felt real sick for a little while and sluggish.It almost feels like things are trying to leave my body. I am going to keep it up and see what develops, and will post my results later.
Chlorhexidine cured my white coated tongue. My doctor prescribed Chlorhexidine 10% mixed with water as a mouthwash. Many people says that white coated tongue is only candida. But I don't belive in that. I believe that it includes bacteria as well. So chlorhexidine kills all of them. It's extremely powerful and hurts the tongue. But you can already feel the difference in the day after. I tried EVERYTHING you can imagine, and belive me, glycerin will help just for 1 day, honey just for 1 day, and so. It's not solving anything. What will solve it is killing this pathogens. What helped: chlorhexidine, low carb diet, cultured vegetables (book: body ecology diet), brushing the tongue after EVERY meal, so the sugar does not stay much longer in the tongue offering food to pathogens.
re: Recurring sore on gums and white tongue... For 2-3 years I have had a recurring sore on my gum that would not go away and plus a lot of white build up on my tongue. towards the end of last year I started using 1 drop of certified organic peppermint oil on my toothbrush that I bought from ebay 1-2 times a day. since then my tongue is pink, no more white buildup and the sore is almost gone. I hope this helps someone out. I really believe the key is using organic peppermint oil.
Anytown, Oh, Usa
Pineapple helped to get rid of my white tongue. I'm not sure why, I think it has an enzyme or chemical in it that causes the tongue coating to dissolve. Eat at least a couple of bites once or twice a day. This helps, but is not enough alone. The proper oral routine is necessary too. I found that brushing twice a day with a sls-free toothpaste allowed my tongue to shed normally and remain pink and healthy, which wouldn't happen with regular toothpaste. And don't use mouthwash or brush or scrape your tongue. Oil pulling once a day will help as well.
Randolph, New Jersey
For years I tried to get the thick coating to leave my tongue. Now I have just the finest film left. I started (probiotics). Read the label for a min. of six to ten strains and a min. of 3 billion to 30 billion cultures. Good luck.
After moving to a new area, I noticed that my tongue became coated. It got to the point that the surface was rough and my tongue seemed swollen. After a few more days, my tongue was becoming numb in the center. I decided to give some of these remedies a try and here's what worked best:
1. I buy refrigerated probiotics (blend of Lactobacillus rhamnosus & Lactobacillus acidophilus). Open one capsule and use a soft tooth brush to gently rub the powdered contents onto your tongue. Then just leave it on as long as you can and swallow the rest. It's a good idea to take a daily capsule as well internally.
2. I bought organic, food grade vegetable glycerin. Place a few drops on your tongue and rub it in. Allow it to stay on your tongue - it is also safe to swallow.
3. Use virgin, organic, cold expeller pressed coconut oil.. I've been using it for oil pulling for years. Just take a small teaspoon of the c.o. and let it melt on your tongue.
I used all three methods about an hour or two before bed time. It started working before I went to bed. The next morning, the numbness and swollen feeling were gone and the pink color is returning to my tongue.
I have always had a thick white coating on my tongue. While drinking a few glasses of red wine (i think very cheap and bad quality as the taste was very sour and it came from China) i felt some tinkling on my tongue and a bit burning. The tinkling was as if small blisters burst open. The next day the white coating was dark purple from the wine, and after brushing the colour was still here. One or two days later i looked at my tongue and it was pink! Never seen this in my life before, and not justa little pink. But fresh, smooth, clean, the best and nicest tongue i have ever seen. Like photoshopped!
Now after 9 weeks it is coming back a little but, not too much. I wish i could find that wine again!
Anybody here has an idea about what in this red wine might have caused this amazing result?
I always had problems with a furry tongue and nothing really worked to fully getting rid of it. After reading this site I tried the sea salt/warm water wash, gargled and brushed my tongue and there was an instant result! Repeated before bed and no more furry tongue!! So happy and so simple..
I've had yeast on my tongue twice. A few years ago, after three months of consistent antibiotics for Lyme disease, the yeast was thick for almost a year. Drs. treated me with a purple liquid on my tongue for a month, I changed tooth brushes every brushing but it was relentless. I went to a dermatologist. He said it was acid reflux and treated me for that. It finally went away but occasionally returned lightly. After another round of antibiotics this month for bronchitis, the yeast was back. By now I knew it was the antibiotics.
One online link recommended oil of oregano and I bought it for $25.00. I'm sure it would take time, but I wanted something I could see a quick difference with. I searched online and found your site where people had used salt. I know salt is healing for sore throat, and I was desperate for anything. After the first brushing the yeast was gone. I did a second brushing and gargled with hot salt water. I was skeptical it would be back in the morning when it was always worst. But amazingly, it wasn't! I'm so thankful I came upon your article before I suffered a year again.
Thank you for your information. Peggy
Hey guys, take my word, salt works man! I went through a lot having a white coated tongue, believe me. I went to two urgent cares they all said I had oral thrush. Then I went to a real doctor, my primary doctor, and he said NO you do not have thrush! I was excited but still nervous. I went home and used salt right away and brushed the heck out of it and guess what guys... no more white tongue. Use salt - don't give up!!!