Onion Poultice –
I have used this remedy many times to resolve sinus issues and migraines. I first heard of it thru Romanian and Appalachian Folk Remedies. It can also be used for fever, headaches, sinus infections (especially the frontal sinus cavities located just behind your eyes in the brow region).
Onions are anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, relieves congestion in the body, help immune system function, detoxify the body, People use onion juice in their ear for earache and rubbed onion juice on their forehead for fever. Onions contains active phytochemical that can reduce the effect of fever, relieve pain and prevent cold. Onion poultice can be used to draw out congestion from the lungs, lymph nodes or anywhere on the body and facilitate healing instead of running to the doctor for meds.
For those persons who suffer a lot from the common cold or chest congestion, they would do well to drink a cup of hot onion/garlic tea several times each day. The tea assists in loosening up stopped sinuses and unplugging the bronchial system. This same dosage of tea will clean out any bladder/liver/kidneys problems too. When applied externally, fresh onion juice prevents bacterial and fungal infections.
How to Make an Onion Poultice:
- Paper towel
- 1 onion (red, white, yellow your choice)
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder sprinkled over it, (optional)
- Roller pin or coffee mug to crush onion
- Slice off 2 slices off the onion about ¼ inch thick. Chop the onion slices into little bits. The onion bits should be as small is you can get them.
- Place the chopped onions in the middle of the paper towel, (sprinkle ginger powder over it optional) and wrap it “burrito style”, that is, fold the longer sides over the onions first and then fold the ends.
- Now used a rolling pin or similar device (I use the flat edge of the knife and press), roll over the onions to crush them releasing their juices so it is absorbed into the paper towel cloth.
The onion poultice is now ready to place on the forehead of the person suffering from head pain. You can secure it in place with saran wrap and ace bandage.
Leave the onion poultice in place for 20 minutes (I leave it on for 2 hours with no problems). It can be gently reheated in the microwave and reused as necessary throughout the day. It is best to make a fresh onion poultice every 24 hours or so.
I also suggest drinking onion/garlic/ginger/honey tea 2 – 3 times daily til sinus/head pain issue is resolved.