Ted's mange cure remedy
I would like you to include this recipe in spanish. If you cannot do it, I can do it for you. This would be very helpful for south americans where the mange is one of the main reasons for people to abandon dogs in the streets.
Hope to be able to colaborate with my translation in order to spread the experiences. I just started to do 4 treatments last week with this remedy in 4 abandoned puppies. Hope to have success and send you the feed back later.
EC: Hi Monica,
That is a fantastic idea, thank you for suggesting it. The best we can do at the moment is to use Google's English to Spanish Translator. If you see anything that needs to be corrected, please let us know...
The advice for using Borax for the Treatment of Mange and other Mites is very good however there seems to be some confusion so I hope to clarify the situation.
1) If your dog has mites then you can be sure that they are present in the whole of the area that your dog uses and that in a lot of cases the humans have them too. You can test if you have mites (scabies) if you itch after having a bath or at night when you go to bed.
2) You have to treat the whole of the above at the same time or you will have a cycle of reinfestation from your pet to the house to you to your pet. So choose an action day and get everything ready for your war on mites.
3) In the case of your house, all beds, sofas, carpets, cusions etc that are too big to be washed including rugs and carpets should be treat with the borax solution or lime sulphur and covered in strong plastic sheeting using duct tape. I know its a lot of bother but its cheaper than throwing them outside and burning them.
4)Having taken the pets outside, Make up the solution of Borax using the following equivalents (one cup hydrogen peroxide and two cups water first and then the 9 teaspoons or 3 tablespoons of borax put in last. let the borax dissolved) This translates for bulk production as:- The borax mange treatment is made by filling a five-gallon bucket with warm water and then adding a 200 milliliter bottle of three percent hydrogen peroxide. Finally add borax laundry booster until full saturation is achieved. This means when borax is added to the water, rather than dissolving, it sinks to the bottom of the bucket.
5) Hoover and damp dust everything using the above solution that has been recomended. Then seal all the relavant soft covered furniture (sofas), soft furnishings, beds and matresses and finally cover carpets with foundation plastic using duct tape to seal the edges.
6) Wash out a kitchen detergent bottle that has a squirty spray handle on it and fill it with the borax solution. In the yard, spray the whole of the underside of the dog or other animal, you may have to refil the bottle several times for large animals. when you have reached saturation point on the underside change the spray bottle over to the large sponge and use this to pour the solution on the animals back from neck to tail. Finally we come to the head and the moste sensitive area around the eyes. First put a drop mineral oil in the eyes, then use cottonwool balls dipped in the solution and go over the face very gently and very carefully around the eyes. Pay particular attention to the ears, the muzel and under the chin making sure that they are saturated down to the skin.
7) Lovely now the house is sorted and the animals are treated there is just the humans to attend to. Though dog mites including mange (dog scabies) cannot live and reproduce on humans for more than a few days they can live long enough to reinfest the animal when you groom or stroke it. So, I am afraid its the full body treatment for the whole of the family. You can uese any of the following, Derbac M, Quellada M, Lyclear Dermal or a 30 gram tube of 5% permethrin cream. Make sure that you cover every bit of skin area and under the feet and rub it into your finger and toe nails too. The human treatment should be done at weekly intervals. Do not use the same incetacide more than three times in three weeks. Of couse if you dont mind a tinted skin, you can easily use the borax treatment on yourself.
8) The borax treatment on the animal should be done every three to four days until the mites are completely cleared and then for ten days after the last signs are gone.
9) During the treatment period, all members of the family should handle the animals only when wearing rubber gloves. Animals should be trained not to go on any furniture during this time. Children should be discouraged from wrestling or cuddling the animal until it is given the all clear.
10) If you find that after this you or your animal is still showing signs of infection then you must enquire with your family to asertain who is not following the rules.
11) When your animal has been clear for ten days you can take the plastic off of your funiture and give them a good hoover. (Don't forget to wash the hoover and its pipes with borax before using it.)
Hello, with mange, I am wondering how often the environment needs to be treated?
Borax is no longer available in the UK but a substitute of Sodium sesqui carbonate is.
I assume this wouldn't work for Ted's mange cure and I should try to import some?