Mold and Black Mold Exposure

Sodium Percarbonate
Posted by Jweatherford (Baton Rouge, La, Usa) on 04/22/2018
5 out of 5 stars

Oxiclean contains both sodium carbonate (soda ash) & sodium percarbonate. Sodium carbonate, when mixed with hydrogen peroxide (such as 30 or 35% undergoes a chemical reaction where crystals form resulting in another white powder; thus turning sodium carbonate into sodium percarbonate. I had learned that after the August 2016 flood that the Red Cross gave 10,000 gallons of the liquid "tech" strength H2O2 (30%) to flood victims to treat their flooded (raw sewage water, petroleum fuels, insecticides, only God knows what else) to kill black mold. Hydrogen peroxide at 30-35%, kills ANYTHING organic (thus covering EVERYTHING Lysol kills). Upon ordering 50% via Amazon from Wintersun Chemicals for the first time, I paid $100.00 ($2.00/lb.) and they offered the product in both uncoated and coated (against humidity). I ordered the coated product in which every granule was a small coated sphere. It is a little harder to dissovle in hot water, but the fact that this is the powdered form of H2O2 (+ a little Soda Ash, aka sodium carbonate) + coated resulted in the best of both worlds. Liquid H2O2, unstabilized, like a 2L of Coke loses it's carbonation as the H2O2 loses it's hydrogen and oxygen gas. BUT in the coated formulation; as long as stored indoors (I keep mine in sealed plastic containers in my freezer); I still have full strength H2O2 when mixed with water over a year later. Sodium alone is a metal. I see no sodium in my sodium percarbonate. Anyone with experience can tell ya that if applied properly on the interior walls after a flood, the before/after (in my case I took samples before/after & using petri dishes with Agar, allowed the samples to grow for 24-48 hours; then transferring the sample to make a wet microscope slide mount along with cotton blue to stain black mold's chitin translucent walls proved that the mold was gone. Yes I had to order a microscope capable of 1000x magnification and used oil immersion lens to compliment the image quality. Most importantly was the results of not being able to grow any black mold after treatment. H2O2 is used in hospitals, can be used in your laundry, contains no dangerous chlorine-based chemicals.

Clorox is a joke with 8.5% sodium hypochlorite which does kill the mold on pourous wood wall stud surfaces it comes into contact with. The problem is that the active ingredient is much lighter than water; think of it like alcohol in that it evaporates off; leaving 91.5% water by volume on the wood. Here in south Louisiana, the averagy humidity levels rarely drop below 90%; therefore you just fed the mold below the surface of the treated area with the applied remaining 91.5% water. Clorox's chlorine-based bleach with sodium hypochlorite is MUCH cheaper to manufacture & without a word from Clorox as to the truth of their mold-feeding product; they have strategically-located warehouses across the country for the sole purpose of bulk-storage of their toxic chlorine product. There are many warehouses along the gulf coast ready to flood the market with free Clorox. The public accepts this as monkey see; monkey do. I was VERY concerned after FEMA's mold inspector left without even talking to me nor taking any pictures NOR samples.

Sadly, in Louisiana in order to have a mold license; one must first have a termite license as a prerequisite. So often the mold contractor works as a subcontractor for the termite inspector. Yes he has undergone minimal required training. Same with Louisiana Restore's Damage Assessor as well as my Catholic Charities Damage Assessor. I have enough problems withe a home built in 1978; asbestos in the ceiling popcorn, in the exterior gybsum wallboard, the flooring adhesive used over the 2000 sq. ft. slab, that deposited by 6'2" interior flood water level above the interior concrete slab, the HVAC ducts, the asbestos contained in the interior USG gypsum wallboard sheathing, mold in it all including the concrete foundation and the interior and exterior sides of the brick walls and mortar as well as lead paint on the soffit, eaves, other heavy metal contributors in addition to that in the flood water.

SODIUM IN SODIUM PERCARBONATE / SODIUM PEROXYHYDRATE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. MIXING SODIUM PERCARBONATE WITH HOT WATER RESULTS IN A SOLUTION THAT REMAINS ACITVE FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS; UPON WHICH IT HAS GIVEN UP ALL OF IT'S HYDROGEN GAS, OXYGEN GAS AND IN A HIGH CONCENTRATED 5 GALLON MIX, ONCE DRY, VERY LITTLE SODIUM CARBONATE (COMMONLY KNOWN AS SODA ASH) IS LEFT.