In the wake of Hurricane Harvey many people will have to deal with their flooded homes, many of which did not have flood insurance. The combination of high moisture levels in these homes combined with summer heat creates a very good breading environment for mold. An anti-mold treatment that is relatively safe, inexpensive and effective is a saturated solution of borax applied via a spray device such as a garden sprayer. Hydrogen peroxide can also be combined with the borax to help increase the anti-mold effect. Vinegar can also be combined with borax as an effective anti-mold agent. Vinegar mixed with hydrogen peroxide is a very powerful disinfectant, but is not nearly as safe to use as borax, borax with hydrogen peroxide or borax and vinegar. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar creates peracetic acid which is too powerful a disinfectant to be used safely by most people and should be left to people who are experienced in the use of peracetic acid.
I have used a combination of borax and hydrogen peroxide in a spray to treat wood that had mold on it. Bleach will kill mold on the surface of wood and will bleach the mold color away but will not kill what is below the surface and is not anywhere as safe to use as the borax and hydrogen peroxide. This mix can also be useful to deter ants which appear to be a problem in some of the flooded areas.
Reconstruction should not start until the mold has been eradicated and proper safety and breathing apparatus should be worn whenever mold is present.
My daughter is a student and the house she shares is damp and full of fungus on the walls. Her room is the worst. When I went to pick her up for the Christmas holidays I took a plastic spray bottle of Borax and water (just put enough Borax in so that no more will dissolve). I sprayed the walls with it when I arrived and then wiped all the fungus off. After helping her pack I sprayed the walls again and just left them to dry. This was a last ditch attempt to make things better because the landlord would not do anything.
When I took her back after Christmas I didn't know what we would find but imagine my delight when we walked into her room to find not a trace of mould.
Thanks to all on this website who have written about Borax and how it kills fungus.
I hope this helps others in the same situation.
By the way, I live in the UK and it is impossible to buy Borax in any shop (even Boots). They are now selling something called 'Borax substitute' and no-one will give me a straight answer as to why they won't sell Borax. One assistant in Boots said that it was because old people used to put it in their eyes. Anyway, I eventually ordered a tiny amount from Amazon and to be honest you don't need a huge amount. Though one chemical company said they would sell it to my by the ton at a very good price.
EC: More about Borax here: https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/borax.html