I tried rescuing a big black flying insect from my kitchen screen the other day to put it back outside and managed to get stung on my finger in the process. It was searingly painful. I promptly made a paste of baking soda and water and applied to the area. I was expecting to be in pain for hours but I kid you not, the pain disappeared within two minutes. I kept the paste on for 10 minutes total. Rinsed it off and.... no pain, no redness, and no sign I had ever been stung. Wow! Just had to share. ❤️
My daughter got stung by a bee on the bottom of her foot while playing frisbee while we were away from home over the weekend.
I thought about what I had with me that I could use. I had a headache blend of peppermint, lavender and birch oils in my hip pack so we applied that first.
I had baking soda with me, band aids and unsweet tea from lunch.
I put about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda on the bandage and used my straw to drop a few drops of tea onto the baking soda to make a paste. My daughter has used a lot of poultices over the years an was notably impressed with how much it helped. She was able to do everything else that day with no pain, including a lot of walking, an outdoor wedding and dancing.
Today, two days later, the sting was bothering her again. We are home with access to all sorts of stuff and she made herself another baking soda poultice.
For under a buck you can keep a box of baking soda in your car to be ready for this and many other little emergencies! (Including heartburn and forgetting your toothbrush/toothpaste - I have used baking soda on a finger to clean my teeth in a pinch.) I love cheap and easily available remedies that WORK!
~Mama to Many~
I got stung by a hornet on Sunday. Here it is Wednesday and the pain has intensified and the swelling is really bad. I'm 16 and I asked my mom what I could do and she referred me to this site. I saw the baking soda and decided to try it. I put it on 30 minutes ago and the swelling has gone down and the pain is next to none. Thank you guys so much for telling me about this. I'll never forget to use this when I get stung!!!
I set my arm down on a bee this afternoon and was stung (for the first time). I remembered reading about baking soda and bee stings from this site so I mixed baking soda and water together (just enough water to make a nice, thick paste) and put it over the bee sting sight. I held it there by putting a bag over it to keep it from drying out too quickly. It immediately helped to take away the pain and within an hour or so, almost all of the pain was gone. Thanks!
I recently had a bad burn from a lawn mower. I put burn medicine on it, but it didn't put out the fire at all. I read a post on here about baking soda, and decided to try it. I made a thick paste out of baking soda and water and put it all over the burn. It was amazing! The fire went out of the burn IMMEDIATELY. I few days later, my son was stung by a wasp. I made the same paste and put it on his sting and it took the pain away for him. It worked on a four year old who was screaming in pain.
Whenever i get a bee sting, my mom always told me to mix baking soda and water together and put it on my bee sting. I works great! I do it all the time, and the stinger comes right out