Bee Stings - Editor's Choice

Over the years, Earth Clinic readers have sent us many reports about their treatments for Bee Stings. The editors at Earth Clinic consider the below posts to be some of the most helpful and informative and have named them 'Editor's Choice'. We hope that you will find this useful.

9 Volt Battery

Posted by Arn (Kenmore, Wa.) on 05/16/2021 16 posts
5 out of 5 stars

With 7 kids, and woods surrounding our house, we had plenty of experience with stings of all kinds. Fortunately, we found a quick fix.

Wet the site of the sting, saliva will do.

Then press a 9 volt battery with the poles on either side of the puncture.

It takes about 1 second and the kids are back out the door to play. The very mild current, which they won't even feel, disassociates components of the venom.

If you search remedies for snake bite on thus website, you can learn more about this treatment. It's possible the little 9V battery might even work on snake bites if applied before the venom spreads. No venomous snakes in Western Washington, so I haven't tried it.

I also have no idea if this works for those allergic to bee venom. Hope someone can give us more info. Meanwhile, keep a 9V close at hand. Cheap and effective.

Bentonite Clay

Posted by Mama To Many (Tn) on 08/25/2020
5 out of 5 stars

Well, I am all about Bentonite Clay today! I have been using it on my daughter's infected finger and last night I used it on my son's wasp sting.

My son was getting in to bed and got stung by a red wasp that had found its way into his covers! The sting was on his foot. Those stings are nasty and usually cause terrible swelling and pain.

I used my no holes barred approach to prevent swelling. Once the swelling sets in it is harder to get it down.

I gave him 2 Benadryl pills and 400 mg of Ibuprofen to prevent inflammation and swelling. I gave him 4 nettle leaf capsules to help with allergic reaction. I put a few drops on frankincense essential oil on his foot while I mixed up the clay. I applied a dollop of clay and a bandage. He woke up with no swelling today.

Sometimes with these types of stings, I have prevented swelling in the first 24 hours but then slack off on remedies and swelling begins to set it. I will be sure to give him nettle again tonight and other remedies if I see any sign of swelling at bedtime.

~Mama to Many~

Baking Soda

Posted by Deirdre (Ct) on 08/07/2020
5 out of 5 stars

I tried rescuing a big black flying insect from my kitchen screen the other day to put it back outside and managed to get stung on my finger in the process. It was searingly painful. I promptly made a paste of baking soda and water and applied to the area. I was expecting to be in pain for hours but I kid you not, the pain disappeared within two minutes. I kept the paste on for 10 minutes total. Rinsed it off and.... no pain, no redness, and no sign I had ever been stung. Wow! Just had to share. ❤️

Colloidal Silver

Posted by Art (California ) on 05/25/2017 1464 posts
5 out of 5 stars

A friend of mine was stung by a bee today and the sting area started to swell and cause pain immediately. He went inside and pulled the stinger out and put a small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of 320 parts per million colloidal silver on the sting area and then rubbed it in. The swelling and pain started to reverse within about a minute and within 5 minutes you could no longer tell that he had been stung! No pain, no inflammation and no swelling......all gone. I looked at it after about an hour and could not tell where he had been stung. After 12 hours he said he could feel a very slight amount of pain where he was stung so he applied a little more colloidal silver and the pain went away. That leads me to believe that had he put a cotton ball wet with colloidal silver on it and taped it in place, that might have been a complete end to it right then.

If you are allergic to bee stings, you can not rely on this method and must go to the emergency room right away.......your life may depend on it!


Charcoal, Turmeric, Vitamin C, Nettle

Posted by Mama To Many (Tennessee) on 09/03/2015
5 out of 5 stars

This afternoon, my 21 year old son called me from work. He had just been stung by a red wasp on his ear lobe. He was getting a charcoal poultice to put on it, but wanted to know what else he should do. (Several years ago he was stung by a red wasp. Even with charcoal poultices, he was stuck on the couch with a swollen arm for days. The charcoal worked, but slowly. As long as he had the poultice, he was not in pain.)

Providentially, I was getting into the car to take other children to piano lessons, very nearby to where he was working. I sped back into the house, grabbed a large, ready made charcoal/flax poultice with plastic wrap out of the refrigerator, a bandana, vitamin c, turmeric and nettle tincture. I dropped off piano students and stopped by his work. His earlobe was red and so was the skin on his head behind his ear.

I got the charcoal poultice centered over the sting and around his ear, covered it with plastic and secured it with a bandana. I told him to take 1,000mg of Vitamin C, 1 turmeric capsule, and 1 teaspoon of nettle tincture every hour. He did that for four hours. When he got home from work, his ear lobe looked fine.

The moral of the story for me is to deal aggressively when dealing with a potentially aggressive situation, within safe bounds of the natural remedies used.

~Mama to Many~