My wife and I have been struggling since June of 2011 with what started out as a hacking cough. It is now November of 2011 and she is still sick with not only this cough but with a cracked vertebra of the spine due to all this horrific coughing.
Some background; we decided we would move right after her retirement in June and began packing up our things. The very same day following clearing out a barn where we had stored things over the years she began coughing sometime so violently that she would lose her breath. The local Health Care center which we went to almost as soon as the coughing started was suspicious that she had inhaled some sort of mold or the like and gave her an antibiotic to treat it. It had no impact at all and in fact got progressively worse. Since then we have practically camped out in doctors offices seeing several GP's along with a Pulmonary doctor as well as Ears Nose and Throat specialist. Her last MRI showed her sinus cavities improved from her first MRI, however, she had to stop taking an antibiotic called Avelox(?) because of some severe side effects.
We are confident it is some sort of mold or fungus infection in her sinuses that triggered this problem. All xrays of her chest have shown clear but I have read on some post in my countless hours of research that mold cannot be detected by an x-ray or an MRI unless it is set to specifically look at soft tissue for these type of infections. We have tried numerous at-home remedies such as herbal teas, every across the counter product on the market for coughs and congestion, and most recently 3% food grade mixture of hydrogen peroxide in a cool mist vaporizer but nothing is really helping and her congestion seems to be getting worse since she has had to stop taking the antibiotic Avelox.
It appears the only thing we have left to try is sinus cavity surgery as was an option given by the ENT doctor as a last resort. I read at least one account whereby a Toxicologist had suggested a tub bath in a mixture of ammonia and water but have not researched this enough to know anything about it. In that same article it was said that the same Toxicologist recommended this type of bath because ammonia was the only chemical that would kill mold and mold spores.
Most recently, her fingernails have become thin and have a white line at about where the nail joins the cuticle. This is even more alarming since this is a sure sign things are not getting better but in fact, getting worse. We are at the end of rope and really need some help on this if there is anyone who has already gone thru this. Any help or advice will be sincerely appreciated. My email address is ken(at)kensspace.com if you would like to send a private inquiry or suggestion...Ken.