Oral Thrush (Candida) My symptoms: sore throat (which was really white patches on the back of my throat that turned into red sores) and a thickly coated tongue. Thrush can be several colors: white, yellowish, brownish, orange.
After going to 2 MDs (worthless) and a specialist (even more worthless) I was left to figure out treatment on my own. Thank Heaven for Earth Clinic.
Here's what worked for me:
1. NO sugar. The problem exists in the gut, so treating the mouth alone will not work. Candida thrives on sugar.
2. Probiotic: use a good quality REFRIGERATED probiotic. Buy one that is enteric coated (sealed) so it opens in the lower intestine where it will do the most good.
3. Drink LOTS of filtered water.
4. Treat the tongue. I alternated hourly the following: a mixture of baking soda and sea salt on the tongue and rub it in, swish then spit, swishing with vegetable glycerin (spit out), swishing with whole leaf aloe juice (then drinking it as directed), oil pulling with organic coconut oil (swallow or spit), dentist gave me an Rx for Nystatin (not sure how effective this would be alone). I also found that having an apple before bedtime soothed both my throat and stomach. Chew a piece of apple then let the bits rest on your tongue before swallowing.
5. Plain, organic, probiotic yogurt. This is my breakfast. I also left some on my tongue for several minutes before swallowing.
6. Yeast supplements. Contacted my herbalist for a good quality yeast supplement.
7. Do not use a toothbrush on your tongue. It is too harsh. I bought a tongue scraper that has a wide, soft brush that works great. Use the tongue scraper a few times a day and especially after brushing your teeth at night. I disinfect both brushes by tossing them in a jar of alcohol.
8. Get plenty of rest. Infections deplete your body.
9. I have GERD which I think contributed to the thrush. DO NOT USE OTC antacids!! They make your system too alkaline. Ask your naturopath/herbalist about gentiana/scutellaria capsules to aid digestion. Use as directed at meal times and before bed.
10. Be patient. I've been dealing with this for nearly two months and am finally seeing change. But if the infection persists make sure that there are no underlying causes such as diabetes or auto immune issues.
(I have also ordered gentian violet tincture. There are numerous articles on using this product as a swab directly on the tongue in babies. I will update after use)
Adult white male USA.
I have had Candida and thrush all my life. As a child I lived on sugar, two tablespoons added to sugary cereal. As an adult I switched to booze, beer, flour and antibiotics.
For the past 30 years I have constantly had some form of thrush, from light to white sticky coating with cheek and gum sores. I tried every prescription and holistic swish and systemic I could find.
Recently I read about this simple combination and it worked within 6 days. It worked so fast I got my first real case of herx which turned into fibromyalgia-like symptoms across my shoulders and upper arms and plugged Eustachian tubes.
Here is what worked FOR ME. I will include the brand and amount I used simply because I had it on hand.
One large mug. 14-16oz.
One N*W Brand 500mg capsule Pau D' Arco Inner Bark
One N*W Brand 400mg capsule Echinacea Purpurea Root
1. Open capsules and add to empty mug
2. Sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
3. Add boiling water
4. Sip like you would any tea.Be sure to swirl the bottom grounds and swallow.
One mug every morning on a empty stomach while fixing breakfast of mixed beans.
I continued this for two weeks. I still have it occasionally just because I like the flavor.
To ease the herx I took one 500mg PLNT (Vit Sh*pp*) Olive Leaf twice a day for a week.
Most of the muscle aches have gone away but the plugged right ear is still a challenge.
No more headaches, brain fog or sticky stools.
I do not eat sugar or flour. Very little lean pork tenderloin or salmon. I don't like beef, chicken or eggs.
I eat tons of EVOO, beans, nuts, seeds, avocado, squash, and mixed green salads of every shape and size. Every Sunday we make 10qts of mixed beans then refrigerate in qt. canning jars for the week.
All rice makes me feel "sugary" so I buy cheap bulk sunflower seeds and grind about 1/2 cup and mix with beans at mealtime for complete protein.. The cutter cap on cheap Oster blenders fit on a canning jar so we grind sunflower seeds in a qt. jar then refrigerate with a plastic cap.
I eat small amounts of blueberries, apples and pineapple.
I will add that my go-to bean mix is one lb. each of Baby Lima, Great Northern, and Pinto soaked overnight then cooked in same water. When these have cooked about 1 1/2 hr. I add one lb. Lentils unsoaked and cook another 20 minutes. Turn off heat a let set a bit. Then jars.
I am not posting this as fuel for trolls that like to argue diets. It works for me and I hope it helps you.