The best and cheapest soap to wash up with after coming in contact with poison oak is a clarifying shampoo. The Sauve variety is about 2 dollars a bottle. I keep it neck to the sink in a pump bottle and wash with it when I come in from the woods or have pet the dogs. Works great.
My granddaughter arrived with an outbreak of poison oak on her arm from camping. I had her wash it with goat milk soap several times a day and resist scratching. It went away in 4 days. I love the soap for my skin and intend to make some for myself.
This worked for what was either weeping eczema--the kind that becomes high, itchy bumps that burst to weep and get a yellow crust--or impetigo (a.k.a. , "school rash"). The former is not contagious; the latter is very contagious. Take precautions accordingly. The same doctor diagnosed my first signs as the former, then five days later revised diagnosis to impetigo. I will spare you the details; following is the cure:
1--wash with gentle soap, before or with baking soda, using tepid water, not hot. (alkalizes, exfoliates. )
2--dab with 3% hydrogen peroxide (the kind you can gargle with, straight). Let that dry, or dab it dry.
3--cover with thin film of tea tree oil, or tea tree oil/vitamin E oil.
4--cover with thin film of organic extra virgin coconut oil.
[at this point, the itching should stop. ]
5--paint with very thin coat of 30% zinc with castor oil "butt paste. " (Find it in the baby aisle. )
6--I also took turmeric (spice rack) and black pepper in water--1 tsp turmeric with dash of pepper, three times daily.
7--Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
That's it. Do the topical application 2X daily, for rapid results. Once daily is not quite enough. *Continue treating effected areas for at least a week after you think you have it all under control, or it may return.*
Be sure to *use bleach* on on linens, and clothing, as well. If you are sensitive to bleach, as I am, run fabric through the rinse cycle a couple of extra times. Use a hot dryer when possible.
Doctor's *full spectrum* antibiotic, issued to me before even a lab test, DID NOT WORK for me. This is the first time I have ever experienced this malady, and I hope it will be the last. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.
*Thanks* to all who posted before me on www.earthclinic.com. Without you, I would not have known where to begin.
To your health, Kay
(female, 50, 120 pounds, blond, sensitive skin)
Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Usa
Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Usa
I ran across this little gem and thought it might be useful. The link is to a blog from an Oregon Search and Rescue. (They often search in areas with Poison Oak)
The treatment is PECTIN... the blog refers to the Certo brand (not much competition on in the PECTIN business, so I would think MCP would work as well)
From that Blog...
"This information was first posted in on July 1,2009. We re-post it here for the benefit of the firefighters who may be looking for a way to minimize the unpleasant effects of poison oak exposure. Since its original posting, I have only heard more and more personal accounts of how using liquid pectin, CERTO, has greatly reduced the extent of eruptions of poison oak and their duration.
Years on the rope rescue team, we were often required us to wrap rope through posion oak for anchors, to walk through it, repel into it, and generally stay exposed without a chance to wash the oils off for many hours. I am a true-believer in this stuff. If you, too, get miserable from poison oak, consider it. You buy it in a grocery store where it is usually found with canning supplies (for jelly).
.....Virtually everyone who has taken their OSSA academy training in Josephine County has heard about using CERTO to prevent and/or treat skin eruptions caused by poison oak. There are no formal drug trials on its efficacy, but anecdotal testimonials abound.....
The dosing regimens I have heard used vary widely, but most use 1 Tablespoon of CERTO daily till gone to prevent outbreaks and 1T twice a day til the package is empty if you already have symptoms. We take ours straight off the spoon, but many mix theirs with guava juice, grape juice, cranapple or any other strongly flavored juice. Possible "side effects" appear to be a slight reduction in your cholesterol, risk of colon cancer and arthritis symptoms. Can't get "side effects" like those from too many medications. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on how often to take CERTO prophylactically, but its effect seems to last at least a month.
Ten Mile, Tn
SUBJECT: POISON OAK
I was picking blackberries in Oregon and a few days later I started getting a rash on my wrist. I realized it was poison oak. I did some searches on the net and found that peppermint and franckinsense oil helped others... I used them... It helped me too... and it took the itch out and made it feel cool. It dried up in about 3 days.
There has been a lot of negative comment reaction to a recent news story concerning German Homeopathy Conference attendees.
Please see the news story below and be careful of what you ingest when in the presence of strangers who may mean to cast a bad image on the practice of non-pharmaceutical drug medicine.
I just want to set forth my most surprising experience with homeopathic medicine. It involves the use of a medicine called "Rhus Toxicana" which is basically a tiny amount of poison oak in the form of a tiny pill taken under the tongue.
The first time I had gotten Poison Oak from Golden Gate Park in 1994 was the first time in my life. I couldn't believe how horrible it was and went to the medical doctor for treatment, literally fearing that I had contracted some sort of Plague. I had a red, weepy, oozing horrible crusty huge itchy wound across the entire front of my shin. I was sent to a "specialist" doctor who charged a huge fee and prescribed expensive anti-inflammatory drugs that basically did nothing for my misery. It took about a month to completely heal.
The second time I accidentally got poison oak yet AGAIN (probably from my dog who loved to bound into bushes) I was in complete despair to recognize the tell tale symptoms taking over. I loudly complained to friends that I didn't want to waste a bunch of money yet again and be in misery for a month (again). A friend suggested I try the homeopathy treatment called "Rhus Toxicana." I had absolutely no belief in the idea that something so low cost and incomprehensible to me in method could work but I really had nothing to lose. It did not only work it worked OVER NIGHT. So quickly and so cheaply and so completely did this natural cure solve my skin problem that it continued what has become a very enthusiastic hobby in personal testing of natural cures every chance I get. THANK YOU EARTH CLINIC! I was surprised no one else had mentioned this so I am taking the time to list it but perhaps it was just a fluke that happened to only me who knows for sure? My friend did say that historically men who had to work on telephone and electric lines would actually EAT poison ivy to develop immunity to it in order to deal properly with daily exposure to the annoying plant.
EC: Thank you for your feedback! We actually have 2 other Cures Reported for Rhus Toxicana on our Poison Oak page, one post is from 2007 and the other from 2010.
St. Jospeh, Mi
I also found the homeopathic remedy Rhus Tox to be amazing for poison oak (though honestly it may have been poison ivy... )
My cousin and I stumbled into some poison oak. We weren't sure if it even was poison oak, but I did some research and heard that rhus tox was helpful. Shortly, we started itching. We went and got some rhus tox. It was amazing. Every time we just barely started tingling that said it was starting to itch, we took another one. Hardly itched at all. This sold me on homeopathy. Before then I wasn't entirely convinced of it.
I recently started using a classical homeopath for chronic disease for my family. My husband had a severe case of poison oak allergy, he did not have touch the plant to get an outbreak, the dogs would get it on their coats, he would pat them and break out! it was a constant nightmare. He was using soaps and lotions daily for prevention. My homeopath gave him one dose of Rhus Tox homeopathic remedy. (it is poison oak made into a safe very highly diluted substance, where there is no molecular structure of the plant left after many times dilution) You can buy it at health stores or these days at whole foods. DO NOT follow the directions on the packet. Take only one small pellet, place it in 4 oz of spring or filtered water, let it dissolve. Place a small amount of grain alcohol, like ever clear or use gin, place into the bottle for preserve. Before taking the remedy, tap the bottle 10 times on the palm of your hand, this is called succussing, like shaking the mixture but tapping. Then take about a teaspoon, swish gently in your mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing. Take the remedy when you have the symptoms of poison oak. If the symptoms get better do not repeat the remedy, if they get better then relapse take another dose. If you are not new to homeopathy, try the highest dose remedy you have, otherwise try the 30C.