I am still fighting the good fight against chronic fatigue of unknown origin. This is what has helped me. I learned much of this from the various naturopaths I have worked with.
1. I try to support my body's HEALING as much as possible. I do this with pacing/rest, by improving my sleep, getting as good nutrition as possible, reducing stress. With regards to my sleep, I switch off the electricity to my bedroom at night *at the fuse box* to reduce appliance hum and also turn wifi off. I find I get much better sleep this way! I also use mute rings and a special mouth guard designed to keep my airways open at night. I also don't watch TV within 1-2 hours of bedtime, and I get to sleep much earlier now and it's more restorative.
2. I try to be very mindful of my ENERGY ENVELOPE and always remain within it. This means I minimize standing, I pace my chores and activities (even socializing, which I can find tiring). I can do a bit of exercise, but I tolerate weight-bearing exercises better than aerobic exercise.
3. I have worked to support my LIVER HEALTH. This means I cut way back on alcohol. I frequently eat dragon fruit, which has liver-supporting properties, and I take milk thistle regularly. I also drink dandelion tea occasionally. And I minimize prescription medications and am mindful of the amount of supplements I take.
4. I avoid TOXINS as much as possible. This means I buy as high-quality food as I can afford, especially for foods that tend to be ‘dirtier' or more moldy (for example, nuts and “Dirty Dozen” fruits and vegetables, which I try to get organic). I avoid fluoride (to the point of avoiding fluoridated toothpastes and not allowing my dentist to put a fluoride treatment on my teeth, etc.). I have tested the water where I live and luckily it is pretty clean, but otherwise I would be looking into bottled water. I use a sauna whenever possible to aid detoxification via sweat. I avoid walking in high vehicular-traffic areas to avoid pollution. And, VERY, VERY, VERY important, I avoid mold in the environment at all costs!!! That means, keeping your house clean, dry, and well-maintained as possible and looking for hidden sources of mold. In my opinion, if you are having breathing problems, you should consider that the source *could* be mold in your environment.
5. I have focused on GUT HEALTH AND NUTRITION. At the advice of a naturopath, I have treated for both leaky gut and candida. Supplements like marshmallow and garlic oil have helped, as well as herbal drops used for parasitic infections (some of which have anti-candida properties). (For a long time I avoided a long list of foods that were causing sensitivities, but nowadays I tolerate most foods much better.) To enhance vitamin absorption, I do juicing now and again. I also eat a food product, Acai Energy, which contains guarana and never fails to give me an energy boost when I need it.
6. I have been tested for basic VITAMIN DEFICIENCIES and have been told to supplement with B12 (I use a methylated version), iron, and D.
7. I keep a SYMPTOM DIARY to determine if there are patterns I can identify on my good days and my bad days (for example, foods I eat, supplements I've taken, etc.)
8. I stay aware of the MIND-BODY CONNECTION. I try not to get *too* mired in negativity. I work on things like vision boards to inspire my hope and healing. And I say health affirmations like “my body is wise and is healing itself, I get better every day, ” etc. And rather than say things (out loud or to myself) like, “I'm so sick” or “I'm not better” I try to say “I'm not better YET, ” or “I've been sick but hopefully not for much longer, ” etc. I do believe our language matters.
9. I do believe there can be a link between chronic fatigue and CERVICAL INSTABILITY. I did have a neck injury around the time I developed CFS. I avoid many movements and exercises that cause my migraines to flare up and I see an osteopath who has helped treat the migraines that I was having daily for years. (If you aren't familiar with osteopaths, they are wonderful! )
There has been no magic bullet for me thus far. However, I have improved slowly. The body is a miraculous thing, and with the right support, I hope to be able to heal. So, my advice is, look at the air you breathe, the food you drink, the mold in your environment, the nutrients in your food (and wehther or not you are aborbing them), the ways you can add to detoxification, etc. ALL of these things will relieve the burden on your body, allowing it greater ability to heal. I wish that everyone had access to all of the funds and support that they need to pursue all of these avenues, but we all just have to do the best we can. Knowledge is power and there is a lot of great information on the internet. All the best to you xx
I tried many things for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that did not work. D-Ribose was one of them.
Things that did work: Coconut oil, eliminating fluoride, iodine, bed rest, Ted's borax advice (baking soda/sea salt/selenium/ACV or lemon/lime that go with the borax too).
One thing that worked that really surprised me was a liver detox. I used both NAC and milk thistle for two months, and then did one of those hokey sounding apple juice/grapefruit juice/olive oil liver and gallbladder fasts/ cleanses along with water enemas for two days. I felt so much better a few days or a week after the fast/cleanse that I felt like a different person so will do one again soon. It may be hokey but it worked. I'd done one about 12 years ago when I was in my early 30's (before I got sick/disabled) and didn't think it helped me then.
You can find references to all of these things on earthclinic.
Oh, and one more thing, before I got better, the thing that launched me into kidney and liver cleansing was severe, acute abdominal pain that an MRI showed out to be benign cysts on my kidneys and an infection above my kidneys. It wasn't kidney stones or gallstones but I felt the area needed some help. That happened about 4.5 months after starting the borax and Lugol's, and about 5 weeks after starting the NAC. I was feeling so much improved in my CFS at that time that I suspected that the general virus/infection/cause of my CFS came to a head in the form of this infection, which I have since healed from. After recovering from this infection, I was almost back to feeling like a normal person again. (After 7 years of disabling CFS that took my life from me.)
In September I started using some remedies from earthclinic for a 20 year CFS/pain condition, and kidney/liver lesions. The remedies I take are: 1/4 tea. borax & some drops of H202 in water, chorella, B complex, amino acids, & BS in 1/2 glass of water with citric acid. I take these five days a week. I also use borax in the bath daily. This program has been adjusted and I will continue to do so, but I really wanted to write about a major change in my health: anxiety is gone! and most of the kidney pain too! It takes time, it takes alot of reading, it takes a willingness to change diet, lifestyle and our conditioned beliefs, but these remedies have been the best thing to help me....and until I found earthclinic, I had tried it 'all'. I am no longer a slave to untreatable diseases from doctors, or dependent on expensive naturalpaths. Let's not just 'thank Ted'....let's 'show' him our appreciation.