Add New Post

Vaccination Side Effects in Pets

Last Modified on May 29, 2015

Vaccination Reader Feedback   0  0   

Posted by Gail (Lehighton, Pa/usa) on 11/05/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  Once my CHI received a 3 year vaccine he is now not eating or drinking and can hardly walk and seems to be in great pain. His legs are wobbly and starting to give out. I need help. The vet took xrays and blood work and said nothing came out negative.

Replied by Linda
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why do you think that is related to the vaccine? There is a homeopathic remedy to help dogs detoxify from vaccines, its called Thuja, a homeopathic vet can give you a better course of action as to whether Thuja can help, maybe she/he will suggest acupuncture, herbs, etc. Good luck! :)

Posted by Toni Ann (Nutley, Nj) on 11/04/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My 4 year old perfectly healthy Shorkie Shi tzu yorkie mix went for her rabies and distemper shot. She is never sick 6 days after her shots I noticed she was walking funny and off to the side. I felt a welt on her back and brought her right to the vet. They said it would go away in 1 month to 2 months that it was swelling that occurs from the shot. The next day she was ok but 1:30 in the morning started throwing up till about 4:30 am.. Sunday all day she was sluggish and shaky and didn't move off the couch. She only vomited once that day. Monday we went right to vet were they said it was not from shots they didn't know what it was but will give her antibiotics and something to settle her stomach. She took the 3 medications Monday and Tuesday to see no improvement. Tuesday morning she vomited again. Went back to vet they gave her some fluids and a shot and told me to keep with the medication. Wednesday still no improvment. Thursday back at vet for ultra sound. Now her blood came back good , her ultra sound came back good but showing imflammation and spasms going on in the belly. They gave me predisone to give her. Still no major improvement. Her bowel came back negative and urine although very concentrated came back with some protein in it. He told me to wait two weeks until she feels better and have it rechecked because of the concentration it might be showing protein.

I am very concerned because years ago I had a maltese which received the same shots and 4 days later was unresponsive and throwing up and had to be put to sleep.

It has already cost me over 1000.00 this week for no diagnosis or improvement of my dog. I will tell you this she will never get another vaccination again. To me she never goes around other dogs and is only 8lbs. she is with me always and I think it is unnecessary to have to vaccinate when they are small house dogs.

Posted by Gayle (Gosford, Nsw Australia) on 11/02/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  Yesterday I took my Shiztzu X maltese for her annual injections for C4 and Heartworm etc.

Within 1 hr she became withdrawn and wouldn't come when called for dinner. She slowly walked with her tail between her legs but wouldn't eat( she is usually a very outgoing dog that will wolf down her food, any food ) She then started 'shivering' even though the room temperure was quite warm. I rang the vet, took her back, he said a slight reaction to one of the shots. She then started breathing rapidly, as though panting with her mouth closed. I rang the vet this time getting the after hours vet, was told the same thing. The panting went on for 2 hours. I slept with her right up next to me checking on her consently. Around 5am she wanted to go outside and had Diarrhea. She hasn't hadn't any water for 18 hrs now so I'm spoon feeding it to her, I'm worried about dehydration. She hasn't become any worse but I'll ring the vet again and take her back. Also she screams when I touch the area the C4 was injected. The heartwom injection was given in a different area. I'm from Australia.

Posted by Charley (Peterbough, England) on 10/29/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My cat had his jab on Wednesday and since then he has been sick.

Replied by Tom
Albuquerque, Nm
[DEATH REPORTED]   I accidentally stumbled upon this site and I have a horrible story to tell. I had been looking for a forum like this to tell my story back in July and August. In mid-July (2011) I took my 11 1/2 year old, very healthy lab/shepherd cross to get his annual rabies. The next morning, he went into a grand-mal seizure that lasted about 5 minutes. In the space of the next two hours, he had two more. We rushed him to our regular vet, where he seized in the waiting room. The vet gave him valium rectally and sent us to the emergency vet. They took him in immediately and the came back and reported that he seized yet again. They put him on IV valium, kept him one night and sent him home the next day. He was acting pretty drugged from the valium for the next two days, when I think the valium wore off and he started to seized yet again. The vet gave us some story about a brain tumor or some other cause and that it couldn't be the rabies vaccine. She put him on phenobarbitol, but he was never the same. I don't know if it was the PB or the vaccine, but he was lifeless, had ataxia (his legs would cross, he was uncoordinated and couldn't jump on our bed any longer). Two weeks into the PB, he died in the night. It looked like he had seized again.

After much research, I found that we Americans tremendously over-vaccinate our pets. There is evidence that the rabies vaccine lasts for seven years! But, of course you have drug companies fighting this evidence and municipalites that aren't going to bother with changing any laws. Since our dogs never go to boarding, dog parks, or anywhere else where proof of vaccination is needed, we have decided not to give our dogs annual vaccines anymore. The chance of getting rabies is so small for a dog that does not run in the wild, it is just not worth the risk. My boy is gone and I am devastated. We rescued another lab cross puppy. We are going through his puppy vaccines and he has had his first rabies shot. Perhaps at 6 years we will give him another, and that's it. Don't succumb to big brother and bad science.

Replied by Timh
Louisville, Usa
Tom, purchase some bentonite clay and keep it on hand for such emergencies as your pet experienced. Mix with water to saturation point and add to water-bowl, food, or administer orally or rectally to clear out those likely heavy metals. Sometimes, if the vaccine is outdated or hasn't been properly refrigerated, it can grow toxic pathogens and poisen the animal. For pathogen treatment add a few drops of 3% H2O2 to water-bowl. Either or both the clay or hydrogen peroxide could save animal life.

Posted by Andrea (Portland, Or) on 10/22/2011

My Cat, BoggsLee recently passed away and I am very certain this could have been avoided had I found Dr. Hamilton sooner.

I got BoggsLee from a friend when he was six weeks old. His mother had so many litters I couldn't even count, but when he was born I knew he was meant to be mine. He had fleas when I got him and I know after scouring for information, that his environment between the time of conception and the day I brought him home, leaves me every reason to believe that he may have been doomed from day one.

I treated his fleas and I waited until he began to show signs of maturity before I neutered him. He was about eight months. The vet told me that "we used to wait until the cat was more mature to neuter, but now we can do this immediately." I felt really weird about that and can't really explain why except that I felt that he would never fully develop if I stripped the guy of his manli-hood before it ever functioned. If that makes any sense. Anyway, he was not allowed outside until after he had his shots and neutered.

Not much to say between then and now except that my boy lived a wonderful life, he was free to come in and go outside whenever he wanted. He was 14 pounds, with long furry hair and he was nothing less than in perfect health. I combed him, gave him fresh water every day, he ate Tuna or chicken because it was cheaper than wet food and didn't contain a bunch of extra ingredients. He also had dry food all the time.

Since last November I have been traveling more often for work, and every time I went away I would have overwhelming anxiety that he would get hurt while I was gone. My neighbor always made sure he had food and water but I still was not satisfied when I was away.

Over the last several months researched my options for BoggsLee's care for when I was out of town.

I found a wonderful lady named Susan who spent many years housing foster cats for the humane society and now owns "kittie Cottages" where BoggsLee would get his own room with windows and lots of playground equipment.

I felt really happy about this place. Nine days before I checked him in for his first vacation at the cottages, I took him to the vet for a routine physical. BoggsLee was "very healthy" but the Vet recommended he get new Rabies shot as well as Feline Leukemia and Heartworm vaccines. I was told that he needed these shots once, not every year. She insisted that he needed them being that he was allowed to go outside.

Ok, I tend to believe in the logic that all "outside" cats do not run the same risks and should be treated as such. Just because he went outside does not mean he was pal-in around with a bunch of cats. He sat out front in the bushes or on the front porch basking in the sun. He loved cat nip and had his own cat nip garden. He loved just watching and listening to all nature offers.

I noticed he was not eating right.

I noticed he was losing weight.

I noticed his "cough".

I noticed he was breathing out of his mouth.

I noticed he slept more.

None of the symptoms worried me enough to fret as I blamed it on the summer heat.

I dropped him off at the cottages on August 2nd, I never saw him again.

I called when I got settled in New York and Susan ensured me that he was being a good boy, just lounging around. She took some pictures for me. On Friday the 13th (go figure), Susan called me at 9am and said she was becoming concerned for Boggs because he was very lethargic and was not eating or drinking much. He had not gone to the bathroom since the first day. I directed her to take him to my vet right away. She drove him all the way to his own doctor who gave him the shots just two weeks earlier.

They told me he was unstable, and it would cost 500 to stabilize him. There was never a question about any costs incurred which I believe may have hurt his chances to live.

After she stabilized him with fluids, she pressed on his bladder and he went potty so we ruled out a blockage. She said he was coherent and could see and hear them and knew what was going on around him. But he was very weak and could not stand up. She proceeded with blood tests and x-rays.

The blood test came back "clean" but the x-ray showed a small mass on "what could be his liver or his spleen"

Are you kidding me? You don't even know where his liver and his spleen are located? You can't tell the difference between the two? I did not even think twice about that at the time, though. She said that it would cost to transfer him over to the special emergency clinic where they could perform an ultrasound and look or biopsy those "masses" to see if they were cancer or a CNS issue.

I called Susan and she immediately went back to pick him up and take him to the emergency room. The "emergency room" was almost an hour drive and when the doc called me, she let me know that an ultrasound would cost about 700 dollars and that if I wanted it done that day it would cost an extra hundred because it was 4pm and a separate company came in to do them.

WHAT? I thought he rode for an hour in the car to a place where they actually did ultrasounds. Oh well, he is there now…I told her that whatever she felt would give her the best chance to save my boy, do it.

She ordered the ultrasound. Two hours later, she calls to tell me that Boggs was very sick but in the same breath she did not know why. Ok, so X-Rays, Blood tests, and an ultrasound and NOTHING?

She proceeded to tell me that there were no masses on his spleen or his liver but that his heart was swollen leading her to believe he had heart disease. Right, lady.

However, he was getting worse she said and felt that his heart could have been swollen because it was working extra hard to get oxygen to his brain. She said he was experiencing brain trauma and wanted to have a neurologist look at him on Saturday. She would keep him in her care overnight for a 1500 dollar deposit. I gave her the AMEX card.

Not even three hours later I received a phone call from her telling me that BoggsLee had gone into cardiac arrest. They began CPR but she recommended that they stop because when they shined their light into his eyes, they could see lesions in the back of his eyes and on his brain and those lesions meant he had "highly infectious disease" and it was basically eating his brain at a rapid pace.

I would never want BoggsLee to suffer, and at that point her opinion was that the most humane thing to do was euthanize him.

I gave them permission to euthanize BoggsLee.

I have asked many questions since that Saturday. First, I was given the option to cremate him and keep his ashes for 150 dollars or opt for a communal cremation for 35 dollars. I chose not to keep his ashes. I asked about the cause of his death as I assumed they would have some answer for me, but they did not. They did absolutely nothing more after they killed him but put him in the freezer. There were two things she mentioned to me as possible causes.

1. Cryptococcus

2. FIP

She said that these things are very hard to test for and there is very little knowledge about how a cat even gets them. She said either one could have been present for a long time without symptoms but when symptoms do show up, it is a quick trip downhill for the cat.

I accepted this but asked her how they have diagnosed these diseases in other cats. She talked about a Titer test, and told me it takes up to a week to get the results.

I let the doctor know that I would like to give BoggsLee's body to research so that one less cat or pet owner would go through this horrible event. She said she could not do that because they would need a "fresh" body, and BoggsLee had been frozen already. I find it a bit odd that as a Vet, she did not think the same way and at least give me the option.

I looked up both of the above listed infections.

I believe whole heartedly that BoggsLee would be alive today if given the slightest chance. Both of those diseases can be diagnosed with a blood test and Cryptococcus happens to be transmittable to humans! The Pacific Northwest, where I live, has seen a large growth in Cryptococcus within the last few years. Video

By the globulin levels in his blood work, a vet should be able to narrow it down, but she said his blood work was fine. If his globulin levels were fine, he would not have died. I believe this. She could have tested for Crypto by sticking a Q-Tip up his nose and analyzing a sample of his mucus!! She could have also began treatment for that.

Article on FIP

Diagnosis and Treatments of Cryptococcus

Article on Crypto


Posted by Lisa (Perkiomenville, Pa) on 10/19/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  Significant diarrhea noted @ 18 hours post initial lyme vaccine in 10 week old boxer puppy.

Posted by Pj (Hurdle Mills, Nc) on 10/13/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  Bella, 2 yr old German Short hair 12 hour after shot experiencing joint stiffness especially in hind quarter, lethargic and whining.

Posted by Dumplin (Elkhart, In, Usa) on 10/11/2011

When I took my 5 lb female yorkie/chihuahua mix to get her first shots in May or June of last year, she was 9 mos old. I didn't notice anything different with her other than laying around for a few days. I just took her on Oct. 4th to get this years dose, which was a 5-in-1 and a rabies shot. Yesterday I noticed a large lump on her right hip which is the site of 1 of the injections. She was not feeling well and was laying around, not eating. I did notice she was drinking a lot of water. I googled it and that is how I found this site. I do not know what I would do if I lost her. She is the light of my life. She is only 2 years old. What can I do to get rid of this lump? If I mess with it, which is very little, she really doesn't seem to mind. But it scares me. I will worry myself sick over this. Does anyone know what I can do to help her before it turns into something bad? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replied by Timh
Louisville, Usa
Dumplin, remove the magnet from your refrigerator door and place that same side that sticks to metal directly on the spot of inflammation and hold it there for up to an hr, several times a day until that swelling goes down.

Posted by Naplesbeach (Naples, Florida) on 10/02/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My female Yorkie has been given DHPP C vaccinations every year for years at the insistence of my vet. (if you don't get the shot, you can't board at that particular vet), -I didn't want her to have the innoculation at her visit 3 months ago-I wanted her to have a titer test, but the vet told me the titer test was very expensive and she would be protected by the innoculation and he talked me into the innoculation.

She has now been diagnosed with Lymphoma (by needle biopsy and I got a second opinion with repeat biopsy). (9 yrs. 9 mo. old and 5 pounds). She has totally healthy heart, lungs, etc. and always acted like a puppy. The vet oncologist I have for her now told me that Lymphoma is rare in Yorkies and she has up to 9-12 months to live. She is now on chemo and prednisone. This is a loving, beautiful, active dog that will be taken from me because the vet assured me the innoculation was safe. The vets do it for the money. That is the bottom line. The vet knows he is responsible-I could tell when I told him she had Lymphoma.

Replied by Diamond
Salisbury, Usa
All vets. Are pulling that scam deal about the lymphoma/thyroid etc. Prednisone is poison to a huge human body, can you imagine what it will do to a small dog? If it were me I would stop all tests from any vet and let nature take care of her naturally, do an awful lot of searching, and here is as good as any to seek better treatments for her.

I had a sick cat and made the mistake of taking her to a vet. He rushed her out back before I could see what he was going to do, he gave her a pill(?)I wasn't sure what it was until I got the script. Home and searched it on the web;it was antihistamine, the affects on her sickly & frail body was way too much for her to handle, she died in my arms that eve. I was shocked; the vet called me that night to see if my cat was still alive(?) I was so devistated I said no she died and he said I had expected that(?) he hung up. I said OH my god he knew. Thats when I cried even harder. I wrote him a guilt trip letter. I also put his name on any public forum I find. I tell friends about him etc. Where there is a will there is a way, but legally and nicely. Good luck & god bless.

Replied by Jane
Naples, Florida
Your vet was a jerk alright! I can see why it upset you even more that he did it on purpose! I hate it when they take one's pet to 'the back room' to weigh it or whatever and then come back and say they did other things as well without even asking for our permission! Doctors don't do that to people's children and vets should not do that to us and our pets! It is a total lack of respect for us as people and for our pets. Next time I am going to ask to go back to the back room as well or get demand to know from the vet what is going to happen to my pet when the vet aide takes her to the back room! I'm glad you made the public aware of what a jerk that vet is-they deserved to know and you did them and their pets a favor. What he did was wrong and your response was totally right one correct. Good for you. My little one did well on the Prednisone. It kept the swelling down and also helped her appetite. She acted normally when on it-for some reason dogs do okay on Prednisone while it can have adverse reactions in some people. She passed away 3 months ago-at the hands of [a kennel], who waited 2 hours to call her vet while she struggled to breathe with tracheal collapse-a highly treatable condition if gotten to a vet even a tad sooner. Don't entrust the care of your pet to irresponsible people like I did. It was heartbreaking that she died so painfully and struggled for hours to breathe while in her own diarrhea. Her struggle is what is so hard to come to terms with. So senseless-and then they stonewalled me and wouldn't tell me what happened. Just horrid people who added immensely to the heartbreak!

Posted by Tappy 09 (Mt Pleasant, Michigan) on 09/26/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My llasa Apso had the 3 way shot 21/2 years ago and about 6 hours later after going to bed I could feel her twitching and her skin hot to touch. I called the vet and he suggested giving her benadyrl. She seemed to come out of it. I am supposed to give her another shot tomorrow and frankly I don't know if the chance of her getting a worse reaction this time is worth it. I might add she has severe skin reactions to many things including staph bacteria.

Posted by K (South Lake Tahoe, Ca) on 09/24/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My 13 pound Snauzer had shots this afternoon and now he has the shakes and he is throwing up. My dog is three years old and only had two vaccinations when he was quite young and my vet recomended another round of shots. My little dog won't stop shaking and he is quite sick. I am monitoring him and I took his temp. And it was 101.5 so its not too high. I am giving him small amounts of water and he can't seem to hold that down. I will take him to the emergency vet if he does not subside soon.

Posted by Samira (Peshawar, Pakistan) on 09/24/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My question to you is that my dogs (breeds black labarodor (2 months old) and Rotweiler (4 months old) had their first vaccination of distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirius, leptospirosis). Since their vaccination they have lost appetite, vomiting and severe dirreahea. Please suggest what can be done.

Posted by Dogma (Haleiwa, Hi) on 09/09/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  My Portuguese Water Dog was given full vaccination right before being crated, shipped across country to airport and flown to Hawaii. By the time she arrived, she was listless, would not drink water or eat and within days, she was aggressive to the point that full grown manly men started calling her "devil dog". She also acted like she was ADHD. A few years later a vet "accidentally" gave her a Lepto vaccine w/o my permission (I don't do vaccines any longer) and now I worry we've just made things worse long term. This event was the one that made me learn and research things to do to help with vaccine reactions. Both these two traits (aggerssion/ADHD) have waned a bit with years of feeding raw organic food, doing heavy metal detox, homeopathic vaccine detox (Dr. Gloria Dodd) and more natural approaches. But I fear she will never be "right" and every day I wonder what new thing will pop up in her due to the toxic effects and her sensitive system.

STOP THE MADNESS!!! All I hope is the she hasn't suffered for naught - that her story will continue to encourage other dog owners to re-think all yearly vaccines. Evil madness - and we WiLL be judged on how we protected the innocents.

Replied by Diamond
Salisbury, Usa
Dogma from Haleiwa; It has been stated every where possible that all/any vets have the rights to give any shot they desire as an experimental drug, they may also tell you it's for another purpose/cause; but not true. I'm sorry to read about your dog and I surely hope he heals fast. My prayers are with you and your loving pet. God bless you for standing by your dog.

I sure hope everyone is made aware of what the gov. is ordering vets. to do in order to keep their jobs in tact, but we as humans love and need to protect our pets. I took my cat to a vet because she was sick never knowing that he gave her some thing that killed her right away. Please be aware of your vets. I don't trust any of them.

Posted by Lauren (Medford, Ma) on 09/04/2011

my 5 year old healthy male dachshund received 3 vaccines on Friday Septmeber 2. He received bordatella, distemper and Lyme disease. A few hours later the area under his chin was swollen and he whimpered to my touch, both on his body and on his mouth. He went back the vet and received 2 shots of Benadryl and a steroid. We still have him on Benadryl orally every 12 hours, but the swollen area under his chin remains.

What should we do next? We are very concerned

Replied by Shelly M
Rosenberg, Tx
[SIDE EFFECTS]   My 2 year old Dachshund was vaccinated yesterday and has the same thing. He first vomited, face got swollen, and his limbs became cool to the touch. He now has fever and can't seem to do anything to get comfortable. He is absolutely miserable. I am also concerned about the loose area under his chin. My Oscar is the sweetest little guy around and after yesterday, he doesn't even act like the same dog... I am extremely sad.

Posted by Deborah Morten (Parkville, Missouri) on 08/31/2011

[SIDE EFFECTS]  I have not owned a dog in over 20 years, so I'm not sure if there's a causal relationship between the corona shot that my pupy received or not, but my gut feeling tells me that there is.

Almost 2 weeks ago, we bought an 8-week-old cream Chow Chow puppy from an inexperienced breeder (she was young and didn't feel the need to give me any instructions or tell me much about the little guy unless I asked).

He seemed pretty docile and lethagic until my husband and I decided to stop and get a sandwich at the local Arby's. As soon as my husband opened the sandwich carton, the puppy went wild! We figured that he was starvng, so we gave him a few small pieces of roast beef. So that we could eat our meal, we put him in a little carrier until we finished eating.

We went to the nearest store we could find and bought a can of dog food to tide him over for our long ride home (almost 2 hours). He went after that food with a vengeance! I believe he ate about 1/3 to 1/2 of the can of food. After he finished, I felt his ribs and he felt very thin to me--his little ribs were very palpable.

That night, his stomach was so tight that I called my vet. He was not able to defecate, although he tried several times. We followed the vet's advice and gave him 1/2 tsp. Of oil to help. The next day his stomach was good, but he had diarrhea.

Monday came and I took him to the vet to get checked. I had no idea that they were going to give him a shot because I told them that he had his shots and his wormer 2 weeks prior. They gave him the 3rd round of shots anyway and I gave him the wormer(liquid) when we got home.

The next day, our puppy (by now we had named him Picachu) was breathing laboriously, was coughing, sneezing, and had a runny nose. My husband read on a vaccine box in the pet store that this is a normal reaction to the vaccine.

However, this bothered me, so I took Picachu back to the vet this past Friday. It was found that there was an increased amount of bacteria in his stomach. So, she put him on antibiotics (one liquid called Albon and another in a pill form) that she said would cover the respiratory end and the stomach.

He seems to be getting better--having normal stools and although the respiratory symptoms are still there, they're not as bad as they were.

next page


DISCLAIMER: Our readers offer information and opinions on Earth Clinic, not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.

About Us Contact Us Search Help
Copyright © 2015
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy