Last Modified on May 28, 2016
Treatment of molluscum contagiosum focuses on eliminating the virus causing the condition. Many natural treatments are effective including apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and elderberry extract. Keeping the affected area clean and avoiding cross contamination of other areas is also important for eliminating the condition.
What is Molluscum Contagiosum?
A relatively common viral infection of the skin, molluscum contagiosum presents as round, firm bumps on the skin ranging in size from that of a pinhead to an eraser. The characteristic bumps typically appear with a small indentation or dot on the top and may become inflamed, red or irritated.
Natural Remedies for Viral Infections of the Skin
Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin. As such, treatment requires eliminating the underlying infection causing the condition and preventing further spread. Apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and elderberry extract have antiseptic properties that eliminate infection and clear the skin from the inside out.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural agent with extensive antibacterial qualities. When applied to the affected area, the apple cider vinegar penetrates the skin and eliminates the source of infection. The vinegar is particularly effective for eliminating the cores of the affected areas.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and antifungal agent. When applied topically, the oil infiltrates the skin and eradicates the underlying infection associated with molluscum contagiosum. Tea tree oil is also used for treating a number of other fungal conditions.
Elderberry extract is also an antiviral agent. When applied topically or taken orally, elderberry extract fights infection and eliminates symptoms of infection. The compound has also been used for treating the flu and other viral conditions.
Molluscum contagiosum is a common condition of the skin that resembles typical acne and spreads very quickly. Effective natural treatment including the topical application of apple cider vinegar as well as other treatments eliminates the underlying infection as well as the outward symptoms of the condition.
Remedies for Molluscum Contagiosum
The Popularity of Molluscum Contagiosum Remedies - Full List
Molluscum Contagiosum: My bf got this and gave it to me. We've tried everything. For him, he had hundreds and nothing worked (ACV, conzerol, TTO/Iodine, 30 PPM silver sol; hospital grade, etc. ). We went the popping route, b/c he had hundreds, and that slowed it. He would also keep the area covered.
For me, I had a couple very large ones. I knew what to look for, since his diagnosis, and when I would see any small pimply looking spot, I quickly covered it with a zinc-based pink tape, called Hy-Tape. The next day if they were angry (usually got bigger with a red ring around it and a white bullseye in the middle), I knew it was MC. The problem is they start out looking like a regular pimple, but quickly change. Mine were on my back and refused to pop, even using a hypodermic needle. I had bought an herbal formula containing Allicin, Elderberry Extract, Olive Leaf Extract and Oregano Oil for something else and decided to try it out on the MC lesions, b/c it had some of the recommended ingredients for treatments. I had to cut the capsule open with a knife (it's a hard shell), carefully, and then used flat ended toothpicks to scoop a little bit of the oil in the capsule out and carefully laid it on top of the lesion. Then I covered it up with the Hy-Tape and left it for a day. The next day, the lesions would come to a full head and the core comes out as a gooey mess on the tape. When I removed the tape, I knew it was for sure molluscum by the amount of blood that came from the lesions. These bleed like a scraped mole and not a pimple. I cleaned the area with alcohol q-tips and repeated for one week. I then continued to keep the lesions covered for one more week with just tape, even though the core was gone, until they were very small. I only used one toothpick side and q-tip side, PER lesion. Never double dipping anything.
This is what finally worked for me. I didn't take the formula orally, but it may help even more.
Apple cider vinegar is the most effective natural remedy for molluscum contagiosum. This inexpensive home remedy can be used topically and internally. It has been used with success on children and adults.
Hi please post this, just edit the language if you have too, but I think ppl will appreciate it. cheers.
A cure using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and nail/needle core removal .
prevent infection spread with Alcohol and antiseptic powder.
Writing this as of day 4 from positive doctor diagnosis, approximately 4 months from when the first bump appeared. Feeling pretty positive at this stage, enough to want to get this out there and help others as soon as I can.
Ok firstly let me just say a big thanks to all those that took the time to write on the internet their successes and failures with this problem. An especially big thanks to all those that put a bit of humour in it as after all laughter is the best medicine.
Secondly I'm not an idiot, I'm a pretty clued up guy, I've learnt a thing or two about life as well, sometimes when you ask the universe a question it gives you back an answer.
I broke up with a girlfriend about 6 months ago, I was looking at porn in the meantime, my conscience was telling me this isn't right, sure the women were of age it was pretty standard stuff, but I kept asking myself is porn wrong? I laid off it for a month or so, then got back into it.
That's when the universe gave me my answer, porn is wrong it exploits women and puts them in positions where they are susceptible to sexually transmitted diseases like MC, but also all the other much worse ones. I don't think sex is wrong or having fun or anything like that, but an industry and a society that risks health for pleasure needs to question itself.
So that's what I've learned out of all this lay off the porn everyone spread that message.
Anyway, Firstly I knew this had a high likelihood of working as I once had a wart when I was a kid and my mum told me to put a banana peel on it and cover it with a bandaid, I did and the wart was gone in a week.
So rewind 4 months, I notice a bump right at the end of my foreskin in the shower, thinking it's just a pimple I poped that sucker but left the core
This was my mistake, if I had of taken the white core out and thoroughly disinfected, the surrounding area I probably would have been ok, but I didn't know I was dealing with this sneaky little pest. I left it and 3 months later 1 had turned into 8, mostly only 1-2mm but one was closer to 3 or 4mm. I'm worried its genital warts so I go to the doc, and he says It's "MC , it'll take care of itself over time, don't have sex there's not much else you can do maybe aldara". But I still think there is something I can do, cause I've read all the messages of people online, and I know the banana skin trick works. Now the reason I think the doctors say this is they're covering their own asses, they can't send any Jo off the street home with a bottle of acid and a scalpel and tell them they're a surgeon, of course not.
- BUY ACV. Anyway so get the ACV, I didn't get organic, but I did choose the one that the most wisps in it. Now I'm a pretty scientifically minded guy, I trust my own senses. I don't think there's any magic powers in ACV what I think is that it's a mild acid. Also it doesn't stink and stain like dark vinegar, you could probably use this method with other kinds of vinegar and it might still work, but hey why bother when we know ACV works.
- APPLY ACV. Put it on little bits of cotton wool till they are reasonably soaked, say one half, and stick them with bandaids to the MCV bumps. I used silver bandaids cause they were there, but I don't think silver really matters that much. If the bumps are on on your dick this isn't gonna be easy, give yourself plenty of time, like an hour, you don't want your flatmate, boss or hotel maid walking in on you. If there on your ass, well you better get a real good friend to help you.
- PREVENT SPREAD this shit is called Contagiosum for a reason! Treat it like its Ebola, buy a bottle of medical alcohol and some strips of cloth or what ever and wipe everything down you touch or the MC touches, wash your hands. Get some antiseptic powder the one I got is called medi-pulv it contains chlorhexidine HCL 10mg/g I think this is some pretty amazing shit, look it up on Wikipedia, it actually has antiviral properties as well as anti-biotic. The great thing about the powder is that you can douse your whole body in it and still go to work without being all sticky and crap. If you wear boxes switch to briefs to prevent your dick touching your thigh. Get about 10 pairs, burn each pair after you wear them, haha nah you don't have to, just wash them, you should be ok, this thing shouldn't last more than 24 hours outside of it's human host. Ok so ACV bandaids doused and briefs, go to sleep.
- WAIT. Leave it on for 24 hours. When you piss wash your hands hard out, don't do the bandaids so tight you can't piss, you'll swell up like a balloon and the whole thing will explode and you'll be covered in piss and virus, probably another reason why doctors just tell you to keep your damn hands off it.
- PREPARE to OPERATE. After 24 hours you're ready to operate, you're gonna be a fricken surgeon here so take this seriously, get all the supplies beforehand and give yourself 2 hours alone, you don't want your mates coming around drunk with Mario cart when you have your pants around your ankles and blood and cotton wool and bandaids all over your cock and balls. Need about 6 cloth swabs per bump I had 9 bumps (found another lil bastard during the operation) I used cotton wool as a blood swab but this is shit because you get covered in fluff, some cloth squares will be better cut up a clean pillow case into small squares if you have to, make sure you have heaps, you're gonna be swabbing and disposing, remember like the girl said treat this stuff as radioactive. The acid (ACV) after 24 hours should have slightly dissolved the tops of the bumps exposing the core, I also think the acid as it works on the skin, may trigger the immune system to work harder in the area, pushing the white head/core out slightly. Now it may very well be that if you just kept the ACV on for a week, the bumps will just go away on their own, which maybe fine, but I also think it might mean they'll fall off and go somewhere in your undies and may spead the virus, so that's why I think the best way is just get rid of the shit as soon as you can. The draw back is it's a bit bloody, and there maybe a risk of normal infection, plus I'm impatient. If you don't think you can handle blood you might just wanna try waiting it out. Ok get some alcohol to wipe away the blood, at first I thought the blood maybe infected, but now I'm not so sure, anyway treat it like it is, you wont be able to keep the blood off you but just wipe it away fast with the alcohol.
- CORE REMOVAL. Ok this is it, you're saving your dick here (or whatever part of your body these are on). I had a couple of beers beforehand, you might want a shot of whiskey, depending on how many you have you might want to plan to stage it over a couple nights, all up including prep and clean up I spent about 2 hours on it. At first I screwed up, I went for the biggest one first with a needle, which was probably a mistake. Start with the little ones as they are easy and work up to the big ones when your skilled at it. My big one started to bleed, and I freaked out about the infection, couldn't get the core out kept dropping crap there was a vein right under it too, so I just swabbed it and held it on there to stop the bleeding, core half out feeling defeated. But then I notice the smaller one right next to it, and I remembered how some punk girl wrote she used to just use her fingernails like a white head, so boom I did it, core out stuck to my nail, tiny bit of blood, wiped that crap away on a piece of paper, alcohol swab and then swab to stop bleeding. Now I know it can be done, boom boom boom I do next 7 like it aint no thing, now there's one left, the end level monster, make sure you have got good lighting by the way, I swear these bastards will duck under and try and get away, so boo yah! In with the nails, out comes the core, is that the core? I don't know it looks too small? Check, I don't know is it cotton wool? No it's the core I've done it! Luke just blew up the death star!
- CLEANUP. You are still one highly radioactive mofo, wipe away every last bit of blood with alcohol, the bleeding wont completely stop but should slow to a crawl, if you had too much whiskey the blood will be thin, and keep bleeding for longer (btw don't confuse the whiskey for the medical alcohol you're a fricken Doctor now JIM! ). Now because ACV got me into this I figured ACV was gonna get me out, dab a bit on with a cotton bud and then bandaid back up. Douse the crap out of everything with Chlorhexidine or something similar. That means your legs your hands your pubes the carpet your dog everything. Put those briefs back on wash your hands, wash your keyboard, wash your mouse, don't use the same towel twice.
- WAIT 24 hours and take the bandaids off and air that bump free bad boy out! Oh yeah! You will have new lease on life now my friend, keep searching for any new bumps, don't ever have sex with anyone you don't completely trust again, unless you want your dick to fall off.
- REPEAT. I haven't found anymore, but if any new ones spring up then do the same, it gets too hard go back to the doctor, pay for cyro or laser removal.
- LOOK AFTER YOURSELF AND OTHERS eat healthy that means fruit, vege, nuts, legumes breads and cereals, don't eat meat not only is it unhealthy leading to bowl cancer and some instances like chicken full of salmonella, animals don't like it when you scare them into a pen and kill them, just like your pet dog at home they have feelings and can feel pain, I am a firm believer in a kind of karma, if you inflict pain on others, or are indifferent to the infliction of pain upon others the universe will likely try and let you know, like a mirror, how that pain can feel back on you. Ok so your free now go be the best person you can be.
Replied by Willow
Replied by Ff
Replied by Eastcoast
Replied by Cdfs
Replied by Jethro
Happy Town, Lovely Land
Replied by Anon
Replied by Mommy
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Replied by Sandra G.
Posted by David (Melbourne, Vic) on 06/28/2012
This will be my first ever posting on the internet for I simply could not help share my personal cure for molluscum. After reading countless sites and forums over a period of a year I found the only thing I could to rid myself of molluscum, of which I endured for over a year until very recently! A truly horrible experience I have to add!
Firstly I would like to say please ensure you are very careful to not pass this on as I had no physical contact for over a year and was at my wits end. Be vigiliant as other people tell you keep the infected areas clean and try and use handtowels to dry this area, and wash them regularly as you don't want to spread them over the rest of your body, for they soon spread!
Anyhow I tried numerous concoctions such as expensive creams from the dermatoligist, also creams such as Dr Wheatgerm's, nail polish, canesten and numerous other things; but never bleach as some suggest though by the need of it I was nearly willing to try. So basically the only thing that worked, for me, was a mixture of tea tree oil, lemon myrtle (difficult to get hold of though) and Raw Organic apple cider vinegar. By themselves these were not that efficent, though teatree was somewhat effective. Basically I mixed these in a bottle along with some water to dilute the ACV etc and applied with cotton balls or make up pads. However, if I had a large one appearing I would soak the cotton ball a little (but only enough to cover the infected area) and use medical tape and tape them on overnight, or simply treat as many times a day as you can. In a matter of weeks they were all gone!!!
A note of warning though be mindful of not exposing unaffected skin to ACV as it can leave burns, although the markings have dissapeared. Just be sure to use the cloudy organic ACV as the normal ACV is useless! Good luck and hope this helps.
Posted by Tracy S (London, England) on 11/15/2011
My son has molluscum and we used ACV and it helped but I also made him take a probiotic vitamin for a healthy immune system. You can buy these for children and adults in chemists, because one of the reasons for getting molluscum is having a low immune system. We also made him shower the area twice a day. And changed his clothes everyday. It is working great and he only has two now.
Replied by Aaronfromnorthgeorgia
Flintstone, Ga Usa
Replied by P
Replied by Tina
Replied by Jen
Bozeman, Mt, Us
Replied by Mc In Pa
Posted by Bess (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) on 10/19/2012
A mother wrote an interesting blog entry using aromatherapy to cure her toddler's molluscum contagiosum. It's very informative and she posts photos of her little boy and his progress. It did take several months but the spots haven't come back. It's posted on a site that sells essential oils but you can buy essential oils just about anywhere these days. It's the information that is useful. For what it's worth:
Lemon myrtle is usually applied to adult skin but the mother found it too harsh on her son so she used Ravensara in Calophyllum.
Hope this helps someone.
Posted by Shanna (Georgia) on 09/15/2015
Baby Powder is amazing for Molluscum Contagiosum. I have treated the bumps with tea tree oil and after it dried, covered the entire area with baby powder. It dries up the bumps and prevents others from spreading. Do not pop them!! The white part is the virus and will spread if popped. For white heads I have treated with peroxide and then covered with a band aid. Then spread baby powder all over affected parts. I hope it works for your family like it has for ours!
Posted by Asila (Amman, Jordan) on 03/17/2015
Thank you to all those who posted here. Your ideas helped my 9 year old son under-arm, spreading infection. Now it is almost gone.
I recall my late father doing this folk medicine trick with barley and squash. The reasoning in brackets is my own:
1- Place two table spoons of barley over low heat in a frying pan for 5 minutes (to disinfect).
2-Prick each bump with one grain. Choose grains that have sharp needles. (barley grains serve as single-use needle).
3- Stick the grain into a squash or cucumber.
4- Bury the squash (medical waste management).
This is done ceremonially to invoke the psychological factor.
I am lucky that the Dead Sea is an hour drive away. So here is what I did:
1- I pricked the bumps and had my son dip in the ultra salty water for a few minutes, then I checked the pumps.
I pricked and repeated until all pumps turned red.
2- At home, I applied Betadine, pricked and applied apple vinegar compresses daily.
3- I repeated the Dead Sea trip a week later.
Finally the infection was under control, from hundreds of bumps of all sizes to a handful.
The followup treatment is this:
1- disinfect the area with Betadine.
2- prick and squeeze yellow bumps to make sure bumps don't accidentally pop and spread the infection. Prick new bumps so they are no longer protected by thick skin. With each prick and squeeze, reapply Betadine.
2- Apply a saturated solution of salt or sodium Bicarbonate with a cotton bud. Apple vinegar also works but please make sure the acidity does not harm the skin.
3- Apply some salicylic acid wart topical treatment. I prefer coal tar ointment because it doesn't scar or hurt, but it stains a lot.
4- Change to fresh clothes often, add an antiseptic to the wash and hang clothes in the sun. Shower often with disinfecting wash. Do not scrub.
5- make sure the infection does not return. For a couple of months after it is gone, wipe daily with betadine.
Balanced food, supplements like vitamins, Echinacea extract and royal Jelly help.
Some recommend banana peel compresses or milky drops from fresh leaves of the fig tree. I haven't tried those myself.
Be consistently aggressive or this battle is lost. Good Luck.
Posted by Charro (Deep South) on 10/18/2015
My son had Molluscum Contagiosum almost 26 years ago. It seemed to appear almost overnight only on his neck. He had over 100 bumps. After a trip to the dermatologist he told us to apply Betadine with a cotton swab daily. The individual bumps became irritated and after he played in the tub (while the lesions were still soft) I would pull out the little core. We worked on it every night and they were gone in no time! Once that core is gone the bump goes away.
Posted by Abby (Denver, CO) on 12/02/2014
Given the amount of research I did online trying to find a solution for our daugher's molluscum, I had to share the medical cure we finally found. Her case was extreme - the worst the pediatric dermatologist had ever seen with hundreds of bump everywhere but her face. We tried everything: vinegar baths, bleach baths, zymaderm, essential oils (clove, lemon myrtle, tea tree, etc. etc.), duck tape, potassium hydrochloride, tagamet, salicylic acid, and on and on. Nothing worked.
The dermatologist recommended immunotherapy since she had too many to freeze or scrape them off. She injected 3-4 of the bumps with the yeast candida in a specific region at a series of 3 appointments 3 weeks apart. First we injected 3 bumps on her back. The next appointment was 4 on her torso and bottom. And finally 4 on her arms and legs. The results were amazing, but mainly kicked in after the second appointment. They just started to disappear, no matter the developmental stage they were in. The ones she had scratched took longer to heal, but also went away. We are now focused on helping her skin be as healthy as possible so the scars can fade.
I hope this helps others fighting this horrible virus. Please ask for a derm referral and that they do the candida antigen injections. It does an amazing job of stimulating the child's immune system to fight it off. Good luck!
Posted by Mom T (Cincinnati, Ohio) on 04/12/2012
Two of my boys had Molluscum Contagiosum, and we have found our own way to get rid of them. It takes consistency, but it works. Every night and Every morning they would rub each bump with a Clearasil pad (the ones with 2% saucilic acid in them). This dries the bumps out and they disappear within a couple weeks. Now, both of my boys also have severe Eczema. So obviously using a drying agent on their skin caused their Eczema to flair (esp. Since it was in their elbow arm pits- a bad eczema spot anyway). We combated their eczema at the same time with their prescription Elocon lotion (being sure not to touch the bumps with the eczema lotation, b/c that would just counteract the molluscum treatment you just did) The bumps will be a little painful and bright red as they are drying out, but I promise they will go away one by one, quickly! Try it and see if it works for you- I hope!!! Molluscum is awful and ugly!
Posted by Nicole (Ma) on 11/14/2013
Clove oil seems to be working for my 7 year old son! It's been only 5 days some have gone away quicker than others! They seem to be coming to a head and easily pulled off! Does burn a bit but not as bad as having them burned off!
Posted by Amandap (Southern California, California) on 09/20/2012
We have been trying the clove oil mixed with wheat germ oil (both are supposed to be good for immunity and antiviral) once a day after a shower for the past week on my three year old. The spots which had been spreading up his side into his armpit are going away, but unfortunately the bumps are still spreading. I would recommend trying the clove oil for the body, however, I would not use this oil on the face near the eyes. The oil is strong and I am still working out if it is too strong to put on the bumps directly. The major plus about it is that it doesn't dry out the skin as badly as the Apple Cider Vinegar applications which we tried for about two weeks with lots of crying because it burned... Even when diluted.
Posted by Godblessedme (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) on 08/31/2012
CLOVE OIL! CLOVE OIL! CLOVE OIL! I caught molluscum from a sauna at the gym, I had a hard time getting rid of most of them. I tried ACV and that just irritated my skin and made things worse. I ordered the strongest Tea Tree oil on the market from Melaleuca, that worked a little better but it took quite a while. After 8 months I thought they had all gone away but apparently I had one little spot that stuck around for another 4-5 months, I didnt realize what it was and scratched it. Well needless to say, it spread to about 7 bumps. I was devistated, then I found this thread and someone had mentioned clove oil. I got 100% pure clove oil, applied it to the spots and within hours the spots were smaller and almost gone. I applied the oil 4 times and over night, they had all disapeared! I was amazed and so relieved! Try clove oil! Just be careful because it seriously burns if you get in the wrong areas by accident. I have a hypothyroidism which causes my immune system to be weaker than normal, so I thought I would never be cured of this. With much praying and much effort of not irritating the spots, and dialy upkeep of oils and cleansing I am happily free of the ailment!!! Good luck to everyone, I hope my advice helped someone. Prayers and Clove oil!
Replied by Reshma
Posted by Clove Oil Works (Orlando, Florida) on 07/24/2012
Clove oil..... Clove oil..... Clove oil..... It works fast.... Clove oil worked in a couple days and doesn't hurt or damage the skin. Did the ACV and it worked okay, but just hurt my 2 yr old too much. Tried zymaderm, didn't work. Tried clove oil applied directly too spots (my bottle was over 8 yrs old so I applied direct, but probably dilute with carrior oil if new(some say their oil is strong enough undiluted to blister. So be careful, don't get it too strong). It should only be a mild tingle if anything when applied. First the spot gets a little raised and inflamed around it. Then the horrible little spots get a dark spot in the center within a couple days of 2 applications per day and fall out. Killed them dead. Finally something that works, if I had only known at the beginning, he would have only had 15 spots to treat not 50. Clove oil, who knew.
Posted by Clove Oil Worked Best (Orlando, Fl) on 07/22/2012
Clove oil worked in a couple days for Molluscam Contagiosum and doesn't hurt or damage the skin. Did the ACV and it worked okay, but just hurt my 2 yr old too much. Tried zymaderm, didn't work. Tried clove oil applied directly too spots (my bottle was over 8 yrs old so I applied direct, but probably dilute with carrior oil if new(some say their oil is strong enough undiluted to blister. So be careful, don't get it too strong). It should only be a mild tingle if anything when applied. First the spot gets a little raised and inflamed around it. Then the horrible little spots get a dark spot in the center within a couple days of 2 applications per day and fall out. Killed them dead. Finally something that works, if I had only known at the beginning, he would have only had 15 spots to treat not 50. Clove oil, who knew.
Replied by Rkainne
Replied by Clove Oil Works