Jan 20, 2015
Laryngitis can benefit from natural cures that support easing inflammation, supporting immune health and fighting infection. Herbal teas help soothe inflammation while home remedies like apple cider vinegar can help heal the condition.
Overuse, irritation and infection of the larynx and vocal cords can cause inflammation and prevent an individual from speaking. This inflammation is called laryngitis. Most cases of laryngitis last a couple of weeks or less, but some cases are considered chronic and may continue throughout an individual’s life. Most cases can be effectively treated using natural remedies for laryngitis; however, paying close attention to the additional symptoms and time frame of the condition is important to prevent permanent damage.
Based on feedback from our contributors, the top home remedies for Laryngitis are the following.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cayenne Pepper
Apple cider vinegar balances pH and kills bacteria, making it an effective remedy for laryngitis while cayenne pepper is traditionally used to treat sore throats, colds and coughs.
- Treatment 1: Add 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass, add 8 oz of hot tap water along with 1/2 tsp of cayenne. Add honey to taste (optional). Gargle with it morning and evening, prior to going to bed.
- Treatment 2: Mix a tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cayenne. Add a few drops of water to thin it just slightly. Eat the mixture off the spoon, slowly letting it settle on the back of your throat. It may burn slightly for about one minute, but then feel better afterwards.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Put 2 tablespoons of ACV, 1 tablespoon of Honey into a glass containing 4-6 oz HOT water. Mix and stir till the honey is completely dissolved/mixed in. Drink in fast sips. Or you can try drinking 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water 3x a day.
3. Green Tea with Baking Soda
According to one of our readers, adding a quarter teaspoon baking soda to a cup of green tea healed her laryngitis in 2 days.
4. Hot Peppers
People traditionally use cayenne pepper to treat sore throats, but other peppers are just as effective.
One reader ate 2 habanero stuffed olives and cured his laryngitis overnight. Other people used whatever hot sauce they had on hand (like Tobasco sauce) and either gargled with it in a bit of water or added it on top of food.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
Gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide is said to help cure laryngitis. One reader reports that the peroxide, "bubbling breaks up the crud immediately which I'm able to cough up."
6. Fresh Ginger
Fresh ginger is very soothing to the mucous membranes surrounding the voice box and can provide fast relief from inflammation.
- Eat thin slices of ginger. According to one EC contributor: "It's spicy but your voice will come back very quick; it brings down swelling and if you can't stand to eat it, make a tea from fresh ginger root."
- Another reader suggests peeling and slicing fresh ginger root, adding a dash of salt and fresh lemon juice until the pieces immerse. Keep in the fridge and take 1 or 2 pieces every day, both morning and afternoon.
7. Salt Water
Salt water can help kill bacteria and promote healing of a sore throat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to a glass of warm filtered water and gargle with it for as long as you can. Spit it out and repeat 3 more times. Do this 3 times a day, making sure you do it just before bed.
8. Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm is a wonderful herb that coats all of your mucus membranes. It also helps with digestion issues and is extremely nourishing. One contributor reported that she added 1 heaping teaspoon of slippery elm to yogurt twice a day (morning and evening) and it healed her laryngitis quickly.
Continue reading below for more detailed posts from EC readers and let us know what worked for you!
eat thin slices of raw ginger .
It's spicy but your voice will come back very quick it brings down swelling and if you can't stand to eat it, make a tea from fresh ginger root.- See more at: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/laryngitis.html#acv
I lost my voice and need to get on a legal call tomorrow - googled and found ceyenne recipe - had homemade chicken soup on the stove - scooped a bowl and put 1/8 tsp. in my bowl. Took one bite, throat on fire, coughed wildly, spit up green junk for a few minutes - went back and ate the whole bowl without even flinching - I can talk now! I am of Italian descent - maybe I can tolerate the pepper better - but it got the bug - I guess I'll be having chicken soup for a midnight snack, breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow!! Thanks!!
Remedies for Laryngitis
|Apple Cider Vinegar||2||2012-11-03|
|Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne||15||2014-05-17|
|Black Bean Soup||2||2009-06-16|
|Green Tea With Baking Soda||1||2007-11-20|
|Thyme Essential Oil Steam||1||2011-06-23|
|Unusual Laryngitis Remedies||2||2010-11-07|