Vaccination Side Effects in Pets

Lepto Vaccine
Posted by Sheila (Toronto, Ontario) on 08/03/2012
0 out of 5 stars

End of May 2012 I brought my then 15 month old dog to the vet for the revolution. At that time she was just over 22lbs and was given a higher dose of revolution for dogs over 22lbs to 40lbs. Unfortunately, we didnt notice anything until 3 weeks later when there was blood at the back of her neck. I thought it was the water from the lake or her diet that she started having a skin allergy. After verifying on internet I applied vitamin E oil 3 times everyday. On the 5th day, while cleaning the spot to apply more vit E oil I felt more bumps and her skin was very hard and purplish and it seemed that the affected area was bigger than what I thought. I immediately brought her to a vet nearby who said that she has seen bad reactions to revolution a couple of days after the application. I was in awe when my dog was shaven at that spot. There were more than 2 dozens bumps all scabbed. The next day when I brought my dog to her regular vet, the latter denied vehemently stating that this is the first case she has ever encountered in her practice but took pictures and said she will investigate with the manufacturer.

Today, my dog has totally recovered but I am very skeptical vis a vis any vaccination or drops that the vets recommend. I am educating myself to natural alternatives. I thank "earth clinic" which is very educative.

However, I would like to know if there is any alternative to leptospirosis prevention.


Lepto Vaccine
Posted by Kerri (Dracut, Ma, Usa) on 04/25/2012
0 out of 5 stars

I am writing to you after reading an article on The Problem with the Leptospirosis Vaccine.

I am the proud mom of 2 beautiful Pomeranians. Recently, my 3 year old boy had his annual exam and vaccinations including the lepto vaccine. At the time of the visit, the doctor noticed a small lesion on his lip. Within 2 weeks it had gotten much bigger and they decided to do a punch biopsy. The results of the biopsy came back, as quoted by the doctor, "strongly suggests" discoid lupus. They started treatment on him with 2 prednisone pills a day.

About a week after treatment, we noticed another "sore" behind his nose on his muzzle. In addition he wasn't acting like himself. Tucker is a very active, large (20 lb) Pomeranian. His personality would make anyone fall in love with him! Literally! He was/is sleeping under the kitchen table, not sleeping in bed with us, crying/whining when you picked him up. Just not normal behavior for such a vibrant, young dog.

I made yet, another appointment. At that appointment, the doctor took blood work and noticed his white blood cell count and liver counts were through the roof! We were sent to an emergency animal hospital at that moment. Tucker was admitted and an ultra-sound showed an enlarged, bright liver which prompted an overnight stay w/intravenous fluids and drugs and preparation for a liver biopsy (needle). His diagnosis was leptospirosis.

Tucker came home the next day with prescription dog food (bland, mild), 5 prescriptions-Denosyl, reglan, clavomax, pepcid and prednisone. He was on the Clavomax for about 5 days when they switched him to doxycycline. He has been on the doxycycline for about 2 weeks and they lowered his prednisone to once a day and the denosyl once a day. He seemed to have gotten a little better but I am seeing the original symptoms mentioned earlier in this email reappear. He has a follow-up appointment next week to test his blood work next week.

Here are my concerns:

Can the lepto vaccine cause the virus?

Can the lupus be caused by the virus?

Will he test negative because he is on antibiotics for lepto?

Could it be something entirely different and is he being treated incorrectly?

I know you cannot conclusively answer these questions but I am so worried and he is so young. I don't know which way to turn and the money we have spent (don't get me wrong, we love him like our son) is astronomical and the bank has run dry. I am just looking for some information and a direction to go in for a proper diagnosis. Any insight you can give us would be much appreciated.


Lepto Vaccine
Posted by Judy (Concord, Ca) on 04/12/2012
0 out of 5 stars

My 7 year old Rat Terrier had to be rushed to the emergency room a few hours after she got a lepto vaccine. Two days and two thousand dollars later they said they didn't know what caused her to be in so much pain (she has colitis and I believe the shot exacerbated it. ) They also wouldn't admit it could have been the vaccine. She recovered and is fine but I don't take her to get shots anymore.


Lepto Vaccine
Posted by Sue (Gales Ferry, Ct, Usa) on 12/11/2011
0 out of 5 stars

My Yorkshire terrier gets very lethargic, stops eating/drinking and cries in pain when picked up after vaccinations. The most recent being the Leptovirus vaccine. I give her water through a syringe and keep her comfortable until it passes, usually up to three days. At first I thought she had injured herself on the edge of the storm door when she went out but soon realized she gets a big lump near injection site after the two or three days (this is a week later) which has scabs or abrasions on the skins surface causing a big mat of fur. She licks it and opens it up. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow as I remember this same thing happening before and as I said, I thought it was an injury. She now acts fine but has this wound.