Good afternoon! I just wanted to find out if the Poinsettia is really poisonous to animals. According to the paperwork that has come with our plants, it says that even though the plant can make them sick, they are not poisonous. However, your site says the opposite. Please advise. Thank you
(Gold Coast, Australia)
We have poison ivy in our backyard, which my husband & I know to avoid. We have both had poison ivy more times than I'd like to mention. This summer, our 2 yr old Bull Terrier began getting red spots under her fur and on her stomach. She was itching and nibbling at her skin constantly. She is already treated with an internal & external flea medication, so we couldn't figure out what it was. She was completely miserable - always scratching, itching, and biting herself. She was even losing hair in those itchy areas. I tried a variety of pet products for skin issues, but nothing was working.
One day I was bathing her & I noticed that I had a small patch of poison ivy on my arm. Then it hit me - - she had poison ivy. We have always been told that dogs cannot get poison ivy, but I decided to do a little more research. Almost every site out there will tell you that dogs cannot get it; therefore, there are no remedies for it. I finally found one site that said, "yes, dogs can get poison ivy if the oils get past the fur. " This is why she had most of it on her stomach, where there is little hair. When she scratched, it moved the oils to other parts of her body. My husband & I swear by Burt's Bees Poison Ivy soap(you can find it at WFM). I immediately washed her with this soap, and you can tell she felt better. I washed the affected areas once or twice a day, and her poison ivy went away. Now, it has recently come back because we still have poison ivy in our yard, but now I can nip it in the bud before it gets bad. YES, your dog CAN get poison ivy!
(Bay Area, Ca)
Poison plants for dogs: I do not know the proper name for umbrella plant but my puppy is eating the leaves; will she get sick? It is a very large house plant. Thanks.
EC: Is it a Cyperus alternifolius (aka Umbrella Palm)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyperus_alternifolius
Please use botanical names for plants, as well as the very changeable common names. Is your "Bird of Paradise" a Ceasalpinia or a Strelitzia for example. As a Landscape Designer this is invaluable information. Mistaken common names could be deadly! Thank You for your consideration.
EC: Good point. Unfortunately, that list was compiled a few years ago by a writer in Canada. We'll try to find out Dawn's resources.
Please add to your list of poisonous plants the following: Ferns, Asparagus Fern, Austalia Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern. I am a veterinary technician in Mohave Valley, Arizona. We recently had a 4 month old puppy in that had ingested Asparagus Fern from the family indoor garden. This puppy became quite ill. These are listed as toxic plants at: housepetmagazine.com/poisonous_plants_dogs.htm. This puppy was presented to us with vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. a blood chemistry profile indicated an elevated ALT. The puppy is still recovering. It is still unknown if there will be lasting damage to the liver. Sincerely
Hydrogen peroxide. For a dog that has ingested a poisonous substance where vomiting will be the solution to expel the toxin, put 1 tsp' [3%] HP in the mouth. Take the dog OUTSIDE and throw a pinch of salt in its mouth. The entire contents of the stomach will be immediately expelled.
Remedies to Cure Poisoning in Dogs
re: curing poisioning and stomach toxins: I had a full size male doberman pinscher, was poisoned with antifreeze. Tried to take him to the vet, and would not take him said there was nothing they could do. Well being he was my baby i didn't give up. Someone told me to cook bacon, take the grease, a raw egg, and a lemon lime soda, mix it together and force him to eat it, granted he threw up alot, it was bright neon green, but i kept feeding it to him until it was no longer green, then feed him pedialight for dehydration, he lived and is fine today, it seems to force any toxin that is in their system out.
On the topic of tea tree oil. It is a deadly poison for cats, which are drawn to the taste/smell. They will even lick residue off pillows. Everyone please be careful. If your cat comes into contact with it you will want to get to a vet pronto.
Tea Tree Oil
Ditto the comment on tea tree oil for dogs. In frustration I used a direct tea tree oil on my pyrenees for fleas. It actually paralyzed his motor functions. I thought he might die before I got him to the vet.
EC: Odd, we have used Tea Tree oil on our dogs for minor skin irritations many times for years without any issues or side effects.
(Lake Panasoffkee, Florida)
Tea Tree Oil
RE: Tea tree oil Tea tree oil is toxic to cats! Cats have died just from being bathed with it.
(Indianapolis, In Indiana)
I have never seen the trumpet vine listed as a poisonous plant. My 9 week old pup ate leaves and chewed on a stem of this plant while in the playyard and may not live. She salivated extremely and is hypersensitive. She also had a seizure, maybe more, since I immediately got her to the vet. What does one do for this plant poisoning? She has been given a steriod shot and benadryl shot upon arrival, and when seizured, was given valium. Also, fluids have been given. What else can be done?
(Northern Calif, Usa)