My 25# Cocker Spaniel tried to eat a, Arizona Bark Scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) (The worst kind in North America) last night. She and the Scorpion survived the encounter, but the antivenom for these Scorpions is not recommended for dogs. So, rather than wait for her to develop symptoms that may be treated; (seizure, muscle tremors, breathing and digestive difficulties) I gave her Garlic to fight the poison from the Scorpion. It is believed that the thiosulfates that are toxic to dogs (the can cause the red blood cells in the body to burst) also fight the venom itself. My hope is that the thiosulfates will fight the venom before affecting her blood cells. Right now she is unusually sleepy, but otherwise there have not been any other signs of toxins (Garlic or Venom).
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend.