Dear EC, I wanted to post a warning to those who use wood stoves about the importance of using a Creosote Sweeping Log. I usually burn one about every couple of months and at the end of the season. Last year the weather got so nice so fast I failed to do that.
When we first started using the wood stove again I knew I needed to use the CSL early this year but I kept putting it off until I just forgot. Yesterday I started getting this headache and had a hard time keeping the fire going in the wood stove. It just never dawned on me about the chimney clogging and carbon monoxide until last night. Then I remembered I neglected the CSL.
I slept with my window cracked and and told my husband to do the same thing. This morning when I went downstairs the fire he had started was burning at a slow pace so I advised him to let it burn down to coals as I needed to burn the CSL and turned our thermostat back so it would stop circulating the toxic air. I cracked our kitchen window, which is on the second floor after I stood outside taking some deep breaths. It seems better in the house now but cold. We have some small heaters to use in each room.
We clean our stove every year and our chimney has a liner due to a previous chimney fire. Burning the CSL logs have worked fine every year since our fire. I just neglected to do that at the end of last season and wanted to give a "heads-up" about it.