Last Modified on Feb 04, 2014
In addition to being our best home remedy to relieve severe vomiting, onions are revered as a natural cure for a wide variety of disorders and as a general antibiotic that can back up the body's own immune system.
The onion, like all members of the allium family, is rich in sulfur. That sulfur content can lend the onion antibiotic and antiseptic qualities that are often put to good use by the naturopath or home remedy practitioner for both internal and external use. For centuries, onions have been touted as the one thing that might be able to kill a flu infection, and many families have passed that remedy through the generations!
Natural Cures: In particular, onions are recommended for respiratory conditions, including coughs and colds. Taken raw it can be a good expectorant. Onion juice mixed equally with honey is a popular cough syrup. Their flavonoids and sulfur compounds make onions beneficial for the heart, cholesterol levels, diabetes, arthritis, and generally as an antioxidant.
Table of Contents
- QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Best Remedy to Stop Throwing Up
- Body Odor Side Effect
- Coughs and Congestion
- Ear Ache
- High Blood Pressure
- Multiple Cures
- Multiple Remedies
- Staph Infections, Cellulitis on Scalp
- Upper Respiratory Infection
- Weak Digestion
Our friend Gail from Santa Monica, CA gave us this recipe a few years ago. It's an old Yogi remedy that will stop severe vomiting within minutes.
1. Prepare peppermint tea and allow to cool.
2. Grate an onion and squeeze the pulp through a cheese cloth (if desperate, just use a paper towel). Make 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Onion Juice.
3. Hold your nose and swallow the onion juice.
4. Follow with just 1 Tablespoon of peppermint tea. Wait ten minutes. Take another Tablespoon of peppermint tea. Wait 15 minutes.
This remedy should stop vomiting within 15 minutes, according to Gail. The peppermint tea helps to rehydrate you.