Swollen Hock Syndrome Remedies

Last Modified on Sep 24, 2009

"Swollen hock syndrome is most common in the Shar Pei breed and goes by many different names, depending on where you are and what the local breeders are referring to the condition as. In some areas it is called Familial Shar Pei Fever, Hock Fever or Systemic Amyloidosis. Not a true fever as such, swollen hock syndrome is caused by an inability of the body, namely the kidneys and liver, to correctly break down and remove amyloidal proteins from the body. These amyloids can collect in the joints, bones and muscles resulting in the swelling and tenderness in the legs, muzzle and other muscles of the body." http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/Swollen-Hock-Syndrome.asp

Print Print

User Reviews

Low Protein Diet   1  0   

Posted by Msandello (Hesperia, Ca) on 09/24/2009

[YEA]  I started both of my peis on a low protein diet with no more 16% crude protein and since then, neither have exhibited the symptoms again. I will also try the recommendation of Colchicine 0.6mg twice a day as you suggested. Thank you.

Remedies Needed   0  0   

Posted by Margie (Hesperia, CA) on 02/22/2009

I need help with curing/helping my two female shar-peis who are exhibiting signs of swollen hock syndrome which is a result of a Shar Pei's inability to break down and get rid of amyloidal protein. I rely on many cures found here on Earthclinic.com and hope I can get some answers for my beloved pets.

Posted by Gina
Weatherford, TX
I have two Peibies that have this problem. My vet started them on Colchicine 0.6mg twice a day. It is ment to stop the progression of Amyloidosis, stopping further damage and in most dogs it helps to stop or lessen the episodes of pain. It has worked for both of mine and we haven't had any episodes for years. Dr. Vidt's website is also a great source of information on the breed. Best Wishes!


DISCLAIMER: Our readers offer information and opinions on Earth Clinic, not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.

Copyright © 2014 | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact Us | Search