Last Modified on May 26, 2015
Preventing Toad and Frog Poisoning in Dogs
True toads (known as Bufo in Latin), lack tails and teeth, but behind their eyes are wart-like structures called parotoid glands that secrete a poisonous substance to deter predators. While the ordinary handling of toads is not dangerous and does not cause warts (contrary to enduring popular belief), bufotoxin can have a wide variety of effects and is even used as medicine in some cultures.
Poison toads can easily affect a dog or puppy exploring the yard, going on a walk in the park, or given any opportunity for a dog to lick or mouth at a toad. Bufo marinus or the cane toad of Florida can cause a severe and sudden reaction in dogs. Symptoms of toad toxin poisoning include excessive salivation, pawing at the mouth, vocalization, very red gums, stiff movements or loss of coordination, and difficulty breathing. These symptoms from a poison toad can even progress to seizures or death.
Remedies for Bufo Toad Poisoning
On this page you can find user-submitted remedies and strategies for soothing your dog in the event of a poisoning and preventing them from coming into contact with bufo toads in the first place. Some of our popular remedies include: mothballs, liquid antiseptic, benadryl, or even keeping your dog muzzled. After reading about it on Earth Clinic, let us know what you try in order to keep your dog safe from toads. Know of a remedy not yet listed here? Let us know about it here!
|Flushing Mouth With Water||3|
[YEA] I don't like killing Bufo Toads, but I don't want my curious cat getting them and being poisoned. I created a humane way to get rid of them: go out when it rains & they'll pop out from their holes. Look in corners & against house/fence walls. Ahead of time, put a half inch of ammonia in the bottom of a coffee can. Scoop them up & put in the can for a minute, then dig a hole and dump the can of dead toads into it then bury so another animal can't get them. You don't see them die/suffering and it works quickly. Good riddance & good fertilizer. Please pass it on for dog & cat owners!
Replied by Miz Rose
09/18/2014Posted by Lisa (West Palm Beach, Florida) on 05/12/2009
[YEA] We have alot of Bufo Toads in area. Our dog run is secure with plexi glass to keep critters from getting in however these toads can get through very small cracks. The best way to get rid of them is pour 1/2 to 1 cup of ammonia on them. Amonia is cheap and since they breathe through thier backs the ammonia kills them instantly. I don't like killing anything however I have a few small dogs and can't risk one of my dogs getting a hold of the bufa toad. If I see one in my dog run I have to get rid of the toad before my dog goes after one. Small dogs are at most risk however my friends large dog swallowed a bufa toad and died within 15 minutes.
If your dog gets hold of a bufa immediately take a wet cloth and wipe gums and tongue. Then turn on side and run water through the mouth. Make sure your dog does not drink the water, you must get the poison out of the dogs mouth as quick as possible. Then rush to vet.Replied by Ray
Lehigh Acres, Florida