Last Modified on Jun 18, 2014
Arachnoid Cyst on Brain
Arachnoid cysts are found between the arachnoid membrane and the brain or spinal cord; they are sacs filled with cerebrospinal fluid. Babies are born with primary (intracranial) arachnoid cysts. Secondary (spinal) arachnoid cysts are a result of tumors, a head injury, meningitis or brain surgery. Symptoms depend on the size and location of the cyst and usually develop in children or teens. Boys are four times more like to have arachnoid cyst on brain.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Nausea, headache, vomiting, seizures, vision, hearing, balance and walking problems.
- Spinal cord cysts cause tingling, pain or numbness in back or legs.
- There may be no symptoms or symptoms may develop if the cyst grows.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain or spine scans are used for diagnosis.
- A surgeon may surgically remove the cyst membranes.
- The cyst may be opened and drained.
- A shunt may be installed.
This would address treating symptoms such as headache or nausea.
- ACV, cayenne pepper and turmeric help many with headaches. Aroma therapy and massage, biofeedback, relaxation techniques, feverfew or rubbing on oils (lavender).
- Drink up to 8 glasses of water daily. Do not drink any caffeine.
- Put a cold, moist cloth where it hurts. Do not use a warm or hot cloth; it will make it worse.
- Nausea may be helped by charcoal, baking soda or sniffing alcohol swabs.
My son is having since 4 months some discomfort over his left eye (he was 2 and half y/o)and saying he has headache. MRI showed 2 infratemporal Arachnoid cysts (5 & 6 mm) in the back pf his head but doctors insist that it has nothing to do with his complaint from headache. His complaining on a daily basis and I can say discomfort more that pain but sometimes it gets really bad and hurt for like 20 minutes or more and I use to massage his front head with a little of essential oil of lavander and later he's OK.
The compaints maybe is more when he is sleepy. I don't know if it's not ocular migraine?
I need to know "PLEASE" if ther is any treatment for the cysts as I want to do something rather to wait and see if it's growing! is there anything for this age to dry-up the cysts?
also any recommendation for his aches, mind you that it doesn't last long but it's painful so I need something works quickly..maybe also essential oil but better than lavander?
I do appreciate you input and HELP my little baby please...