My golden retriever got a small hematoma at the bottom of her ear flap last month. After reading the posts on Earth Clinic about Aural Hematomas, I decided to leave the hematoma alone unless it got too big. That was a wise decision. It didn't get any bigger and disappeared after a few weeks. I had also read that draining it at the vet is not always the best decision as it can make the hematoma bigger.
Leave the Hematoma Alone
Hey EC....How is everybody doing? A few months ago, I had wrote in to EC asking for help when my cockapoo came down with hematoma in one of his ears....well I had promised to let you guys know what worked for me so here I am.....hopefully this can help someone out there. After much research and some wonderful advice from you guys...I decided not to go ahead with the surgery which was costing me $400.00 plus my dog was going to be in a lot of pain as well, and just wait this thing out as was suggested by this one lady whose name I can't remember.....sorry....anyways, after six weeks, my dog's ear is back to normal...can't believe it even now..all I did was just leave it alone although sometimes, I would put some ice on it and rub a little arnica cream on it but other than that I pretty much leave it as is....a lot of people had said that the one ear would be kinda deformed....not this one...I am so grateful, this dog is my big baby...lol....hopefully, this can save someone's dog from surgery, a lot of pain and some money.....thanks for listening...
(New Albany, Indiana)
(Tallahassee Florida 32308)
(Van Buren, Arkansas)
My dog had this so I came here to learn more about it. She didn't appear to be in any pain if not touched. I knew there was no way I could afford the surgery and planned to order the oil (forgot the name of it), but then a week later her ear had gradually gone back down to its original size.
Let It Heal on Its Own
My dog's (aural hematoma) went back to normal in about a week.
Let It Heal on Its Own
My lab cross had 2 aural haematomas the first one occured in April 2008. It was quite large the size of a fat sausage and we were concerned but the more research I did on the internet the more I discovered that the haematomas bother the owner more than the pet and if there is no obvious discomfort just leave it. Early May my dog got a second haematoma closer to her ear canal. I became worried and did more research and tried leeches...yes leeches ordered 8 of them from Niagra Ontario. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined but really wasn't the right treatment as although it caused no harm to my dog it would not and could not resolve the problem as the balloons of blood were not isolated but part of her regular flowing system so as you removed the blood more filled it's place and the leeches really only remove about a tsp each. It is now mid August 2008 and I am happy to report that my dogs ear looks as good as the day before she had the problem. There has been no cauliflowering or mishealing and she is happy not to have had surgery and face further complications that stictches etc. can provide. If she had another one I would leave it to heal again I think sometimes its best not to try and treat everything. Too quickly someone wants to take your money for an unnecessarry procedure. My dogs ear was very swollen and without any surgery is perfectly fine today. That was my experience.
(Mar Del Plata, Arrgentina)
(Grass Valley, Ca, Usa)
(Chicago, Il, Usa)
(San Francisco, CA)
The first line of action once you notice your dog has an aural hematoma: Perform a hypodermic needle aspiration to remove the fresh fluids before a clot is formed.
Second: Use an 'Auralsplint' to correct the broken artery causing the hematoma and keep the ear from shriveling. Do not have the archaic and gruesome surgery which does not attempt to correct the broken artery, but instead allows the continued blood flow into the cavity and out either a drain or an open wound. The cost of surgery is mostly prohibitive and rather not needed now that the Auralsplint is in use.
Until you are able to perform the auralsplint treatment, make sure to aspirate on a four to five day schedule to keep a clot from forming. For more information visit Auralsplint.org.