I can't say thank you enough for the tip on using the esthetician's loop extractor tool for removing tonsil stones. After trying with my fingers, toothbrush, q-tips, and tongue depressors nothing was working and the loop extractor removed the stone in seconds. I found it in the beauty department near the eyelash curlers for only $2!! Since then I have used it to remove many tonsil stones, as soon as one bothers me I can remove it in seconds.
Tonsil Stone Tools and Tips
Some times/peoples tonsil stones (aka tonsiloths) need to be physically dislodged and extracted. After trying many things, the easiest and safest easiest method (besides gargling & supplementing)is using a an estheticians tool called a "loop extractor" (designed for extracting pimples & blackheads). It's a metal wand 4-6 inches long with a loop at each end; (cost @$4 for the basic model; available at most drug & beauty/cosmetics stores, displayed next to the tweezers).
You'll also need a mirror, small bright flashlight, and a tissue to discard the stones:
1) Look in the mirror, stick out tongue, and say "Ahhh" (a small magnifier mirror stuck onto your mirror at mouth level works best for these procedures).
2) Light up your tonsils with a flashlight (one with a pinpoint focus, or adjustable focus works best). Examine the back of your throat thoroughly, check-out all the nooks and crannies in there (there are lots! )
3) Say "Ahh" until you can see INTO the deep caves behind your tonsils; if they are whitish/yellow you likley have tonsil stones embedded in them. (you'll be very shocked at how mant stinky stones you eventually find hiding out back there! )
3) Hold the wand and use the small smooth loop to GENTLTY move the tissue aside and scoop out any stones hiding in the caves. If the stone falls/slides away, fish for it very gently, patiently (mouth tissue is very tender and bleeds easily so be VERY GENTLE). If you cant catch the stone, simply rinse/gargle with water and spit it out, then keep fishing.
4) Now use the wand to look and scoop behind behind the verticle flap that sheilds your tonsils.
5) Now scoop inside the tonsil gland opening itself if you can see/find it (often the slit faces backwards and is very hard to locate).
6) Place stones on a tissue; fold up the tissure & flush them away when done (you dont want those nasty smelly stones sitting in the bottom of U joint/pluming under your sink)!
*Rinse & Swish your mouth with hydrogen peroxide; then gargle well.
*Wash your hands and tools thoroughly! *Place your tool in a tall shotglass full of Hydrogen peroxide (flip it over after awhile so it is completely disinfected). Store DRY, in a clean/enclosed place, away from bathroom air/toilet spray (inside a medicine cabinet is OK).
NOTE: One CAUSE of stones is lack of digestive enzymes (lactase, Protease, amalase, etc) which is normal after age 40. Many people who have bad breath & tonsil stones also have digestive problems and/or allergies because they 1) lack the specific enzymes to digest these foods (milk/dairy due to lack of lactase; grains/gluten due to lack of protease). And 2) Lack probiotics & pre biotics (acidophillus, bifidus etc). Thus, taking/promoting digestive enzymes and probiotics is necessary to address the ACTUAL cause! As well as adderssing any fungal/bacterial issues of course). Besides supplements, be sure to eat lots of fermented foods: yogurts, kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchee, etc to supply you with missing enzymes & probiotics!