Question by Lorraine (glasgow, uk) on 10/13/2007
Replied by Ted (Bangkok, Thailand)
Both herbs maybe toxic for internal use and at least what I know is used for external purposes applied to the dog. Some historians believed that Alexandar the Great died from hellebore overdose. Hence, I think such use is best confined to an experience herbalist, as certain hellebore species can also be not safe and there is a distinction for each of the species.
Symphytum is generally safer to use, although long term use is not recommended, but I also doubt its insecticidal abilities, neem oil would be a more ideal substitute. But my own experience with both of these were of limited in killing ability on the insects, and hence, borax seem to be much better in my own use.
The use of borax the toxicity on the dog is very difficult to achieve if the use is in a manner of washing the dog however and with no rinsing, as the toxicity of the borax is about equal (LD50) to the toxicity of salt, or a least close enough.
Whenever the solution, hellebores or symphytum (usually prepared as a poultrice), the dog has a bad habit of licking whatever is on its body, hence, a cone is placed on the head to prevent that.
However, my own uses and successes I used a much less toxic mineral, such as oversaturated borax dissolved in 1% H2O2 which comes from the 3% H2O2, diluted.
This is then applied throughout the dog's body, and done on a daily basis, no rinsing. The remedy has a lot of successes with mange, although I am finding this to be quite good in getting other problems of the dogs, including, mites, fleas, and walking dandruff. Again after the solution is applied to the dogs entire body, no rinsing or drying.
The dog is left to soak the solution, and once applied, stay away from the dog immediately as he will try to shake off the solution.
The key appears to be that their eggs, especially during rainy season causes reinfection of them. Hence, the solution can be sprinkled, heavily in the area where the dogs resides.
A modified more stronger application is to put 1% H2O2
in a liter of water, and then add several teaspoon (say 5-7) borax and stir it. It would seem more borax undissolved is desireable, then use this as a daily bath. In my own experience, this is the solution that I used with a lot of successes, and not just for mange. Most insects of mites, fleas, and walking dandruff take more time because of the eggs that is scattered around the house, and sometimes the rainy season has a major factor on reinfection on the dog, a daily application of about month, will usually get rid of the infestation.
Walking dandruff is somewhat infectious, so the area should be applied of the solution.
P.S.' In case a natural material plant material is desired, orange oil 5% diluted in 30% alcohol, plus borax saturated might be better subsitute, and the orange oil are easily found. The orange oil is a powerful insecticide, while it has minimum toxicity on animals.
Replied by Lynn Paul (Mississippi ) on 03/20/2018