Found anywhere in the world, gnats are actually tiny flies. Small, long-legged, flying insects, gnats are often so miniscule they are difficult to detect. As they feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals to survive, gnats frequently bite unsuspecting individuals. As gnats are so small and hard to detect, these insects often bite individuals without them even knowing; however following the bite, a noticeable mark will appear.
Gnat bites generally swell at least slightly. Bites and the surround area are also typically itchy and sometimes even painful. The initial bite area often even has a small bit of blood coming from the bite where a gnat has been feeding. In extreme cases, individuals experience a slight heat or feverish feeling in bitten areas. While not common, some individuals are allergic to gnat bites and have an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction includes additional symptoms as a typical bite such as a general sick feeling, difficulty breathing and hives.
Gnat bites are a result of the insect’s natural feeding habits. A gnat bites a warm-blooded animal to drink the blood. When done feeding, the gnat spits an anticoagulant into the bite, which is actually what causes the associated stinging and itching.