I am a healthy and fit 56 year old. As I've aged, I have learned to avoid eating later at night and to choose my foods wisely, selectively avoiding foods that cause heartburn. Both efforts have helped control GERD, which I ocassionally experience at night while horizontally resting or sleeping. When I do eat the wrong foods or eat late at night, I'll take OTC medication to prevent GERD. Late last night I ate several slices of pizza, a notoriously avoidable food for me, but I followed that with three garlic kosher dill pickle spears. Not an inkling of indigestion! Truly remarkable!
(Novato, California, Usa)
(San Fernando, Philippines)
My girlfriend was having horrible stomach pains and was feeling really sick. She had eaten a lot of foods that were bad for her GERD all day long. I finally, after reading the site, talked her into drinking some pickle juice... It really helped... It started instantly and was kind of a slow process but is feeling better now... Thank You..!!!!!!
Here it is at 2:55 AM and I have been up for over 2 hours now pacing with my GERD. I am a pretty healthy person and I am also a Chiropractor. I was recently diagnosed when I went to the ER because I thought I was having a Heart Attack. I am 42 years old, eat pretty healthy, get adjusted regularly, and do moderate physical activity. Even as healthy and holisitic as I am, I succumbed to omeprezole because the pain was so severe. I had such a bad reaction to it. I was severely nauseous and dizzy. I went back to the GI Dr. (trying to be a good patient) and he gave me aciphex. I am refusing to take it. GI Doc says that it will allow the acid to subside and let the esophagus heal. I think that is a load of bunk and based on what I have been reading on this site, many of you feel the same. I have not taken perscription meds since I was a kid, why was I going to do so now? Here I am at 3:00AM, with severe pain, so I went to the web and came across your website. I did not have any Apple Cider Vinegar, so I turned to the pickle juice idea. I was in doubt that it would work but at 3 AM, I was feeling desperate. I love pickles and have stayed away because I thought it would make my GERD worse. I took a shot (about 1/2 cup) and now I feel much better. I started taking digestive enzymes today (Alka Pan and Alka Green) suggested by another Chiropractor. They are not working yet. I am hopeful that they will. I also like the apple idea. I usually have them around and will be buying more tomorrow. Thank you all for your suggestions and Thank you Earth Clinic for having this awesome website. I have added it to my favorites. Sweet dreams all.
Thank you so much for this site. I have been suffering for years but more since I was dropped from medicaid and could not get any of my medications. I love pickle juice but never drank it thinking it would make the GERD worse. BOY WAS I WRONG! It does help and for the first time in months I am acid free and out of pain.
I have been suffering from Gerd for years. There are some foods that really irritate it the most. I find that by leaving the caffeine (anything chocolatey!), and tomatoes(the red ones as the yellow ones seem ok and aren't that bothersome) alone, I am fine for the most part and seem to suffer less. But, oh how I love to eat them both! Thank goodness I have discovered (because of your website) pickles/pickle juice and anything pickled! When I feel the Gerd coming on (because I am only human and vulnerable to these temptations,I have slipped and eaten those things to which I shouldn't have and thus pay the price),and... that is when I will grab a pickle slice or two. I also like pickled asparagus spears/pickled cauliflower, pickled beets, etc.(most of these are found at our local health food store. These things seem to really do the trick and with-in seconds after gobbling a few of these up, wa-la the Gerd has disappeared! I also drink a tab bit of the juice as well. Maybe a couple tablespoons full. Anways, thank you for your website and for everyone who contributes.
hi my name is sharon have been diagnosed with the medical condition gerd really couldnt understand it until tonite...starting feeling the systoms coming on about an hour ago and nothing at home to take so went to the internet and typed in gerd and found this website...wow read the section on pickle juice and tried about half of cup and starting feeling relief in just a few minutes...will be a full time drinker of pickle juice thanks..im 43 years old
Wow, the pickle juice actually worked! I have had acid reflux since i was born and finally got put on meds when i was 12 (now 20). i was on nexium 40 mg and it really seemed to work, enough that i took myself off it about two years ago because i thought it was gone. i had no more problem until about a month ago, ive been getting gerd attacks again. i really didnt want to get more meds since i'm in between doctors but the pain is killing me. then i found this website at 1:30 in the morning trying to make the pain stop. thank you so much cause i took a few gulps of the pickle juice and about 5 minutes later i think i can finally go to bed!
I just had 0100 am GERD attack while sleeping. For the first time ever I went to your web site and found people suggesting pickles. All I had in the house was Sweet pickles and IT WORKED.
1/2 cup of sweet pickle juice and two (2) sweet pickles (medium) and pain is gone within 15 minutes and I am ready to go back to bed - pain free.
No Way!!!! This was unbelievable!! It's 11:00 at night and my girlfriend was in tears from her GERD pain. I read the pickle juice comments and as a last resort prior to the ER had her try the pick juice remedy. IT WORKED IMMEDIATLY!!!!! totally recommend this to everyone.
Unbelievable!! I am 2 days away from an endoscopy which is the first step in surgical correction for GERD. I have suffered from GERD for over 12 years and in preparation for my next pregnancy, have decided to have the issue corrected. Mine became so bad after my first pregnancy that for the last 5 years, I have been taking double dose OTC Prilosec with only partial relief. To prepare for the procedure, I have to be off of Prilosec for 5 days prior and 2 days post. This scared the tar out of me since I am usually in burning pain if I am even 2 hours late with my pills. I am now 3 days off of the pills and have been, so far successfully, fighting the urge to call and cancel the whole thing just so I can get back on some Prilosec ASAP. With my doctors ok, I have been taking above the max dose of Tums but when I hit about 30 for today, I figured that couldn't be too good. Looking for alternatives, I found this website and read about the pickles. Ironically, I had a pickle from lunch that I had not eaten for fear that it would make me worse. I went and got it and decided, at this point, nothing could be worse. Right after eating it, I noticed a difference. More than I had gotten with all the Tums all day long. Unfortunately, I only had one spear and will have to stop and get more on my way home but this really was amazing. Absolutely worth a try.
GERD: Things that I tried that didn't work for me:
1: remedies 2: surgery (actually it got worse!! ) 3: Betaine Hcl 4: probiotics 5: ACV 6: Almonds 7: Lemons 8: Apples 9: Kale 10: Gluten-free, Dairy-free diet
Things that works for me, but didn't cure:
1: Raw potato juice 2: Baking Soda
(Fountan Inn, Sc)
I found myself very sick at the beginning of this year. Ended up in the hospital twice in one week because I was so sick, could not eat, could not drink.
I went to the GI and they did an Endoscopy but found only inflammation in the LES, no Pyloria and no ulcers. I was diagnosed with GERD, and the doctor put me on Nexium for 3 months. During those 3 months I didn't feel 100% but I felt ok enough to continue my regular life.
I just came off the meds about 3 weeks ago. I lost about 1lb a day. I couldn't even go to work. I had a host of symptoms: weakness, head pressure, stomach pain all the time. I don't even remember the last time I felt hungry because all I felt was pain. I had gas, bloating and pain, not to mention just wanted to get in bed, which is now super uncomfortable because I raised it 6 inches like they recommend. I tracked my calories and at some point I was eating less than 500calories because eating was so painful.
What I've done to help me:
1. Checked for Candida - according to saliva test I was positive: I bought probiotics and stomach enzymes. Not to mention started drinking Kefir and Kombucha.
2. I started a paleo diet. This has been quite hard since I'm barely able to eat period, and restricting what I eat has made even finding what to eat quite hard. But I heard it was good, so I've done it. I eat veggies and meats/protein.
3. I did the HCL test - both the 6oz of protein, and the baking soda test (2 days). It seemed positive, it took me well over 5 minutes to burp. So I started to supplement with HCL. I felt something after the first pill, but ok so continued. I still couldn't eat really. On the 2nd day's dinner I didn't really feel great, but thought maybe I needed more HCL. I took 2 HCL pills on the 3rd day's breakfast/lunch meal and felt so sick I had to drink a glass with a tsp of baking soda, this helped but I wasn't feeling great. Obviously low stomach acid wasn't my problem.
4. Back to square 1. Most sites now, including this one only discuss the need for HCL supplementation. I felt very depressed, but during one small blog line somewhere mentioned that if the HCL test fails, then you should try taking: Alkabase, Gastric Complex-HP and/or Mastica.
5. I bought Similase, which is suppose to be like Gastric Complex-HP, and some Mastica.
6. I started taking DGL Licorice and Similase, along with the probiotics and the enzymes. This seemed to help but not that great.
7. I was afraid of Alkabase because of the high sodium, so I looked for something else that could act like an "alkaline. " I then heard from a friend of the family that raw potato juice is good for stomach ulcers and GERD. I then read that the raw potato juice acts as an alkaline, so I figured this could work instead of the Alkabase. I just peel the potato, chop it, put it in the blender with some water, puree, then pour it into a strainer and get the juice. I drink that, keeping away from the potato bits because I read those are bad.
For 3 days now I'm doing this: fresh raw potato juice 30 minutes before every meal (empty stomach), 2 DGL licorice chewables 10 minutes later, and 1 Similase and 1 probiotic just before I eat my meal.
I have to tell you, it almost brings tears to my eyes to think of how much better I've been feeling. I finally stopped my weight loss, I was down 13 lbs in 20 days. Every day I feel stronger, and like I can eat. I read this potato juice thing should be done for about 10 days. I will check in then. Good luck to you all.
Hi there! For those who are suffering from Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) I also suffered for more than 5years and underwent with hi-tech laboratories and spend thousands of money, time and effort but noting seems to no avail. I was having reflux, feeling of bloated; vomiting from time to time especially when my stomach was full, back pain, chest pain, pain on shoulders and heart burning and what is worse is halitosis. Most of the doctors prescribe medicines to cure the acid reflux without even caring for other possible causes of it. I asked and consulted few doctors who examined me for another opinions but I was so disappointed that they just copied what the other doctor said. Without further explanation of possible immune deficiency or vitamins, they just prescribed antibiotics and high dosage of medicines which I eventually had skin inflammation just last year. It is the reaction of my body due to taking strong and excessive antibiotics. I FELT SO HOPELESS so I studied the reasons why I had reflux everyday.
At first I just ignored these symptoms because I thought I was just gaining weight from petite to chubby one. What I remember was I drink sterilized milk everyday and eat foods that contain milk and dairy products. I also had yogurt in my daily diet. Indeed, I am very cautious with myself so finding cure was my greatest battle. I drink and smoke frequently for years and quit for good. Here are the solutions and explanation I made for myself and hope will help you too.
1. The reason why people felt starving just an hour ago after meal is they go to bed when their stomach is full, and in the next morning they felt their stomach much empty, so much hungry that about to lose their consciousness, is the long habit of going to bed with full stomach. Another pain is they got stomach cramp. IT SHOULD BE ATLEAST 2 TO 3 HOURS before going to bed AFTER MEAL.
2. Dyspepsia is nearly the same to bloated, burping and feeling of heavy stomach that is full of air. There are many medicines over the counter to take before each meal. Another option I took was to eat plenty of vegetables which are rich in fiber to digest the food easily. Drinking water while eating will lessen the ability of the stomach to dissolve food but of course excessive acid will tend to acidity which is another story. Drink water only after meal. Another reason for dyspepsia is the slow moving of our intestines which we could get from the fried items and other dairy products.
3. The acid comes from the stomach when it goes up to the esophagus is cancerous because it damages the tissues. The only cure I have done and worked for me till now is to drink half glass of dissolve instant oatmeal without flavor with small amount of sugar; I do it everyday before taking my breakfast. I honestly cannot avoid fried chicken so I maintained eating it but the acid in my stomach had gone because of the oatmeal. Soft drinks and other juice drink can trigger the stomach cramp which is the cause of the air trap in the stomach. Also avoid sour food and unripe mango. Orange is ok.
4. Another reason for acid reflux is the inability of the stomach track to close (like anus) on the time it has to be that is why the acid spill out to the esophagus. In addition to heart burn will appear when the stomach was full with air (like the feeling of bloated), our diaphragm cannot function well especially if we lay down in bed in this condition. If you suffer from heartburn, lay on bed not leveling your whole boy, it should be in the upward position or put many pillows at the back of your head up to your chest.
Now, I was able to solve my GERD, halitosis is my big problem. I read on this site that our saliva should have maintained its PH level. I have in mind the possible cure. I'll give it a try. By the way, Hydrogen peroxide might increase the hairy tongue problem. HP really works instantly just for few minutes after rinse but not for long hours and the bad odor comes back after a while.
I have suffered from GERDs since my first pregnancy. Yet, within the last 15 years it has gotten much worse which has coincided with a heavier use of ibuprofen. For the last 15 years, I had noticed I never got better when, I contracted flu, bacterial infections, etc. So I began my own investigation and after many hours of research, the conclusion was, every time I got sick and was given any medication with any food dye (red dye #40 absolute worst) I did not get well and usually got worse. I now use a natural yogurt daily for my GERDs, NO OTC's or prescribed meds unless I can get natural compounded with NO dye. So, if you still have any problems you might try eliminating all dyes from your diet. Trust me, it is not easy and remember your soaps, shampoos, etc. For the last few months, I have been doing very well.
I have found nothing that "cures" my GERDS. I have found many temporary remedies. It doesn't matter rather you're taking ACV, DGL, yoghurt, mint, honey, chamomile, six small meals per day, lo-carb ...whatever! It is really no different than taking PPI's/H2's/antacids. If your're getting up everyday and taking ACV twice aday you still have GERDS. I have tried them all (with the exception of the mint and yoghurt). DGL is an H2 blocker for instance. It's just more empowering because you are taking control of your medical problem instead of leaving it up to the doctor and you don't have to purchase or bother with those demon pharmaceuticals. My main concern is has anyone ever had their acid tested to determine if it is too high/too low? How can doctors in good conscience arbitrarily prescribe PPI/H2 blockers without first testing. Why I have GERD and you have GERDs might be totally different. Doctors say smoking relaxes the LES, and pregnant women get hiatal hernias and that contributes to it. But everyone doesn't smoke and men get hiatal hernias. Children get this disease for Gods sake! What is going on! And incidently the gastrointestinal tract doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's not like the LES valve or stomach has a mind of it's own. What about the pancreas? The autonomic nervous system a great deal to do with it. Read about the ANS and sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. So different remedies and different diets may work for some and not for others depending and your "type". I have tried whey protein drinks for instance that helps, because my doctor gave me six small meals aday diet where you eat protein with each meal then I decided to substitute whey protein for meat. I also tried platinumplus amino acids. And last year homemade bean soup made with beef and bones stopped my symptoms completely for several days, where now it doesn't. Whether yeast/fungi is the cause, or a major contributor why don't the geniuses of medical community recognize this fact? Cancer/AIDS patients are loaded with the mess. I saw my doctor in May, had endoscopy & have Grade 1 Barretts. I was to supposed to go back in six mos. but I cancelled. When I told my primary care physician that I purchased an alternative remedy because Nexium cost $160 . She said, "but you have money to buy amino acids". Is she kidding me? Good luck too everyone and Good health.