Posted by Crista (Pekin, Illinois) on 10/03/2009
I have been researching the boron/borax issue because I want to use it, but have been quite afraid because of all the talk of it being toxic or poisonous. So I found a sientific article online that states this:
"Borax is necessary in small amounts for plant growth, one of the 16 essential nutrients. In larger amounts it is poisonous to plants, and the range can be small. For peaches, 1 ppm is required, but more than 5 ppm is toxic. If the signs of boron deficiency are noted in plants, a boron supplement can be applied. Borates can be used as non-toxic and non-specific herbicides. Borates are non-toxic to animals. The LD50 (dose at which there is 50% mortality) for humans is about 6 g per kg of body weight. Anything above 2 g is considered non-toxic, and borates are only 2 to 3 times as toxic as aspirin. Therefore, you are pretty safe unless you eat a pound and a half of borax for a snack. Borates are more toxic to insects than to mammals. The boranes and similar gaseous compounds are quite poisonous. As usual, it is not an element that is intrinsically poisonous, but toxicity depends on structure."
J.B. Calvert, (24 November 2002). Boron. Retrieved 03 October 2009, from http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/boron.htm
Sorry I am all about the references, plus this article has several quality references in it.
My husband was worried about me ingesting this so that is why I have done so much reasearch. I really feel it is safe, but even with this I am still a bit slow to try it. I will get up the courage soon. I just wanted to put this fact out there for all the people that argue about it. I think mainly I am afraid of the detox reaction I might have because my face has been pink for quite some time and if I put lotion on it or anything else it become very red till it is dry. I have washed my face twice with it so far though and it has at least dried up my acne. I also just used a bathroom cup to add water to some borax and then poored it on my hair. After rinsing then I shampooed. It did make it soft, although I tried to combine it with my body wash and it created a perm smell so I am going to do it by itself next time. Good luck everyone who tries Borax, but it is safe in small quantities.