Add New Post

Bee Sting Relief for Pets!

Last Modified on Dec 07, 2012

  User Ratings

Posted by michael (santa rosa, ca) on 07/30/2007

[YEA]  we were running our puppy Buster out in the field, and he stepped on a bee. he was stung on his leg and it swelled up.we ran to the computer and found your website. My wife applied ice while i ran to the store to get benadryl and baking soda. we gave him 8mg of benadryl and applied baking soda paste to his leg, he improved dramatically. thank you so much for your great treatment information.

Posted by Keith (West Richland, Washington) on 07/12/2007

[YEA]  I've got a beekeeping business in WA state, and today my 16 week old bird dog was stung at least 25 times by honey bees.. This isn't my first experience with animals and bee stings, and the best thing that I`ve found yet is the liquid benadryl. The dogs seem to prefer the grape flavor, and will lap it right out of a saucer. It`s also much easier to judge the dosage, and seems to act a little faster than the tablets. Time is very important when dealing with animals, and benadryl has not failed me yet..

Posted by Kathy (Longview, Texas) on 07/07/2007

[YEA]  Our schnauzer was stung this afternoon by a bee on his stomach (the stinger was still protruding) and we had no idea what to do. I tend to google everything, and I frantically ran to my computer, looking for answers. I am SO glad that we found your site. We made the baking soda poultice and gave him 25 mg of the Benadryl. He seems to be doing great now, but I also now know what to do in case he would have had an allergic reaction. We never would have known what to do had we not found your site. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Posted by kim (evansville, indiana) on 06/05/2007

[YEA]  re: benadryl for puppy bee sting -- just wanted to thank you for the dosing info on the benadryl. ive heard it could be used for a puppy bee sting but when my 7 mo old puppy came to me with her nose and eyes swollen i was in a panic not knowing how much to give her thanks for the info!!

Posted by Pam (Port Richey, FL) on 02/25/2007

[YEA]  I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart. From you site I learned that benadryl might help my dog with her struggle to breath and help the swelling after multiple wasp stings was a life saver. Other sites told to use Benadryl, but not how much. The 1 mg per 1 lb was the key to saving my dog's life - thank you!!

Posted by Judy (San Diego, CA) on 02/17/2007

[YEA]  My 14-lb. miniature poodle stepped on a bee today [back foot] and ran into the house holding the "offending" foot high in the air, then repeatedly licking it. I immediately made a baking soda paste in a small dish and immersed his foot it it. After 1/2 or so, I left to run over to the store and when I came back, saw that he had vomited partially digested food he had eaten after I left. He also developed some red patches on his belly that he kept trying to scratch, kept drinking lots of water, and panted loudly and rapidly. I checked online and found this website, administered a finger-tip of benadryl from my 25 mg. capsules, his panting has ceased and he is relaxing. Not a direct weight-dose correlation to a 125-lb. dog but reassuring that benadryl can be used, cautiously. Thanks.

Posted by JD (Mesa, AZ) on 09/13/2006

[YEA]  As a former Firefighter/EMT we used to treat anaphylaxis in the field with epinephrine or Benadryl. I am allergic to bee stings and have had to use this several times. One day my lab/mastiff came into our house and was beginning to show signs of swelling. A few seconds later she began to look like a sharpei. I immediately gave her a dose of 25mg of benadryl and saw most of the swelling go down. Because my dog weighs 125lbs, I gave her a second dose of 25mg of benadryl and saved her life for the second time (once when she had Parvo I kept her alive with antibiotics and IV fluids). Epinephrine is the prefered drug for treating anaphylaxis, however this must be obtained through a prescription, which you can get for dogs, but if you need a great OTC treatment, benadryl works very well. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening problem and if not treated immediately you can loose your pet. Be careful how much of a dose you give your pet as some small animals can OD.

Benadryl and Prednisone
  User Ratings

Posted by Heidi (Vaughn, Washington) on 09/27/2008

[YEA]  I had never had a dog stung by a bee until today, my 10 month puppy got a wasp stuck in her hair! As a nurse I knew about the Benadryl, and Ice, but I also called a friend of mine up who has asthma and got one tablet of Prednisone. I broke it into half and gave a half at the time of the sting and 12 hours later. She did great, we snuggled from the sleepy Benadryl, and the swelling went down with the Prednisone and I didnt have to worry about a relapse in the wheezing I could hear.

General Feedback
  User Ratings

Posted by Dee Dee (Orange, Ca) on 12/07/2012

A week ago my Maltese got stung by a bee. Took him to emergency vet who removed the stinger and administered 2 injections. One was epinephrin. Later he started to cry in pain. He had to stay with them overnight and be sedated. He said something may be wrong with his back. Took him home the next day with perscription of Temaril p. He said pup will be okay.

BUT 2 days later Puppy has developed a bald spot above his tail and it is warm to the touch and causes him pain if touched.

Took him to our Vet - Blood Tests are elevated due to inflammation - X-Rays don't show anything bad. He cannot determine the cause, no evidence of bug bite, however, I think it could be the result of the emergency vets care.

My Vet prescribed Clavamox for inflammation and Tramadol for pain and hot compresses also no playing with others, he has to remain on leash and semi-confinement for 2 weeks. We are on day 3. He called yesterday said we could add another perscription if there is no improvement.

He is not itching the area but the hair is falling out and it's very sensitive. I am worried and love my little 6 month old puppy.

Any suggestions... Please Could Apple Cider Work?

Ice Cubes
  User Ratings

Posted by Natalie (Lakewood, CA) on 07/17/2009

[YEA]  My 5 year old pit got stung today (from a hive we just discovered yesterday in an orange tree and had not previously called attention to itself!) I suddenly noticed his right lip was swollen! I located the stinger and verified what it was by looking up images online. I didn't have any Benadryl or baking soda, and he's not a dog you can hold an ice pack on. So in the end I put some ice cubes in his bowl. He was quite happy to eat them, which he usually isn't, so I figured it was providing some relief. I then kept feeling the swollen lip and it went down after about 2 hours. All is well, and the beehive has been removed, thank goodness!

Lavender Essential Oil
  User Ratings

Posted by Georgia (Irons, Mi) on 04/26/2010

[YEA]  HUGE black Ground hornets & lavender essential oil:

My cat of 3 years old had a near death experience and although it took 2 days to figure out what had really happened I immediately had given an application of lavender oil (3 drops pure on my hand) and lightly brushed his arm and underside of paw with it as soon as I saw there was a problem. He definitely does not like the smell, but I insisted he get the treatment. He was incoherent, stumbling, all in 5 minutes & swelled to the size of golf balls where he was stung (6x) but in 12 hours was alive & well! He doesn't remember his brush with death, just loves me more! I thanked all above who stayed at his side, tho my vet did not believe in Mother Nature's cures, I'm blessed She once again saved another of my pet's lives. I was also stung by these bees 2 yrs. ago and their stings instantly attack your motor skills, altho I 'could not think' to use the oil on me. Hoping this story helps

  User Ratings

Posted by Lin (Yellow Springs, Ohio) on 08/26/2008

[YEA]  Mud has cured my family's external bee stings for over 35 years. Wherever you are, there is mud, all you need is a little water. Just make a paste and slap it on. I've used it for a one year old baby whose piercing screams stopped within seconds, for a panic d customer in a store to our dog's paw just yesterday. The mud does it all, draws out the stinger and the poison - fast. Leave on from 2-20 min. Rinse off, then wash with soap and water. Relax and have a glass of water.

Reader Feedback
  User Ratings

Posted by Steve (San Francisco, CA) on 08/09/2008

[YEA]  Good advice on bee stings. I got my dog to the emergency room right away, they administered a shot of antihistimine, and said to follow the advice you have given. His lip is about five times normal size. The idea of putting ice on it is good, but it's not an easy thing to do. A bag of frozen peas is working well.

Posted by Brandi (Orange County, California) on 08/14/2007

[YEA]  My dachshund was stung by a bee over the weekend. She was limping, wouldn't eat, vomited a lot of yellow liquid, and had a rash on her belly and chest. We didn't know what was wrong so we took her to the hospital. They diagnosed her immediately with anaphylactic shock and began treatment with an IV. She needed to be kept overnight for observation and for a plasma transfusion because she her blood was not clotting. $1,400 later she is back to normal. We are so glad that we took her to the hospital as soon as we did.

Posted by cathy (scotch plains, new jersey) on 06/26/2007

[YEA]  Thank you for your great informatin on how to treat your dog if he should have a bee sting. We had no idea what to do and your article was so helpful! Thank you so much!!!!