[YEA] My 9 year old daughter had strep throat last week. We had had houseguests over the weekend when my daughter had a cold. Turns out that a couple of the children (particularly the ones she was playing with) had strep throat. Her cold was starting to get better and then suddenly she was really sick with strep throat symptoms. I came straight to earth clinic for advice. We tried garlic and cayenne and it worked! Here is what we did:
I gave my daughter 4 oz. of water with 1/4 t. cayenne pepper and 1/4 t. clove powder (for its numbing ability) in a mug. She gargled this 4x a day the first day or two and then once or twice a day for a day or two. (We cut back only because she was so much better. I would continue 4x a day for much longer if needed.) The 4 oz. mug lasted for a couple of garglings. She hated it by the way, but knew it beat going to a doctor and getting an antibiotic.
- 4x a day I gave her 1 clove of crushed garlic in honey. I did that for several days then just one dose a day for a day or two.
- She asked to take 1 t. of apple cider vinegar several times a day because she knows it helps a lot. (Hot vinegar tea - 1 T. Vinegar, 1 T. honey and hot water has helped my children with sickness so much and she knows it, but she doesn't like it.)
- I gave her herbal tea to drink. No soda pop or anything. Sugar is not good for getting better. A couple of times she drank echinachea and peppermint tea with honey in it.
- For her fever, I would rub peppermint essential oil and/or lemongrass essential oil on the bottoms of her feet. I also put a cool cloth on her head!
- A wise friend recommended washing toothbrushes as strep can harbor there and reinfect!
Praise the Lord, she showed improvement in 24 hours with this treatment and was about normal after 3 days. I am sure it helped that we caught it early as we had a heads up to expect it.
So grateful for this site and all the good advice. The cure for strep throat cost us less that $2! That is amazing!
Have a great day!
~Mama to Many~