Poisonous Food List for Cats and Dogs: Q&A
12/12/2006: Helen from Tain, Ross-Shire, Scotland: "I am using garlic to treat my dog for yeast infection in the paws. I have since read that Garlic is very bad for dogs and also dangerous. Is this true? Should I be giving my dogs Garlic?"
Ted from Bangkok, Thailand replies: "
Usually if you want to give dogs garlic it is o.k. for most local applications. However don't let the dogs eat garlic. They usually won't unless you mixed it in their food. It can be applied to their paws, etc. for external purposes. That is then ok. Garlic given internally in large amounts can be toxic. If the dog should happen to lick the garlic on his paws, the amount should not be enough to kill him.
Dog's metabolisms are very different to humans and yes garlic is toxic to them if taken in large amounts. However there are other foods that are toxic such as chocolate, grapes, raisins, coffee, nutmegs, bread (yeast!), milk and yes spoiled foods!
Dogs are NOT vegetarians and they can die of a kidney disease by taking foods high in oxalates, where the food comes from the bean family. In humans, kidney stones and disease takes a little while longer if the food were high in oxalates. One interesting thing I found is that dog foods sometimes cause yeast infection especially after eating dog food or certain antibiotics. Many vets med are quite toxic to dogs and I don't know why they give them anyway.
I would like to point out that there is misinformation re multivitamins and vinegar, that they are bad for dogs. In my case, I saved my dog's life twice with multivitamins and I need not give him beyond 2 days. I just gave enough for the dog to recover. The other time was my dog was poisoned from an unknown source, in one case, and in another confirmed insecticidal dog's shampoo poisoned the dog. In both cases the use of vinegar saved the dog's life."
07/31/2006: B from Ojai: "I was just reading your list of poisonous foods & must inquire about your sources. As an animal herbalist in practice since 1992, I have used hops frequently as a medicinal herb in both dogs and cats. Is your inclusion here because of beer, or do you have some research to indicate its ill effects. If so, what side effects are you seeing? Thank you!"
08/02/2006: Dawn from Canada replies: "Here's some info in response to your reader's question... The poisonous agents within the Hops plant have yet to be identified. However, it is known that they can cause serious problems such as panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures and sometimes even death. It seems that certain breeds are especially sensitive to Hops toxicity (such as greyhounds), but they can be dangerous for any dog. My sources for this particular piece of information include first aid for pets books as well as websites such as, Washington Poison Center, Pet Education.com, many breed specific rescue club sites, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, they can be reached at 1-888-426-4435 for more information. Hope that helps!"