Last Modified on Feb 21, 2014
Treating Fungal Infections of the Skin and Lungs
You can find fungus everywhere in both indoor and outdoor environments, and half of these fungi can threaten our health. If you find yourself dealing with a fungal infection, many complementary and alternative health options exist for fungal infection treatment. These home remedies can kill off the yeast or bacteria causing the fungal infections while reducing symptoms of the infection in the skin, lungs, sinuses, eyes, and other organs.
Exposure to fungus, mold, and other allergens can cause out of control immune system reactions in your body, the symptoms of which can include pain, headache, fevers, mucus production in the sinuses and/or lungs, and may in some cases may lead to death. More common symptoms include a fungal rash on the skin or some mild respiratory distress. More serious fungal infections include fungal pneumonia, fungal sinusitis, aspergillosis, fungal meningitis, and systemic candida albicans infections.
Fungal Treatment Options in Alternative Medicine
Apple cider vinegar is a common skin fungus treatment and may be used for internal treatment as well. Also consider probiotics in the form of pills or regular yogurt consumption, which can help support your immune system. Pair that with eating a couple raw cloves of garlic each day. The sulfur and other compounds in garlic (including ajoene) have powerful antifungal properties, though these are more effective as a fungal infection treatment via topical application than for systemic use through ingestion.
Ghannoum MA. Studies on the anticandidal mode of action of Allium sativum (garlic). J Gen Microbiol. 1988;134:2917-2924.
04/13/2013: Carmel from England: "Would appreciate any insight please.
I have a lot of problems with sinus - headaches - ears - face aches sometimes - brain fog and memory also energy. I am sure I have fungus in my head. have had to take a lot of steroids and anti biotics over years (refuse to take them now). I am desperate for a cure. I feel as though I have no nostrils, can never breath through my nose an often get stuff going down my throat. Yellowy greeny stuff comes out my nose.
I have been reading about oxygen, colloidal silver, biotics, the candida diet (which is so so difficult to stick to and can be very expensive), and just do not know which way to turn. Has anyone here had the same problem and successfully eradicated it?"Replies
04/14/2013: Gino from Phoenix,az, U.s.a. replies: "I have the same symptoms and if you will found solution, please let me know! Thank you."
04/14/2013: Cat from Austin, Tx replies: "If you are not allergic to it, try coconut oil. I take a teaspoon every morning in a 32oz jar of warmed water with 1-2 drops of iodine, 3 times a day. The coconut oil alliviates my brain fog, the idodine helps kill candida, and the jars of water helps flush the candida out of my system. At first, when your body is riddled with candida and the the coconut oil begins rooting it out, my body manifested detox symptoms before I felt better. I also cleaned out with a good paleo/candida diet of no grains, sodas, milk, potatoes (bain of diabetics), and absolutely no sugar. This works for me (unless I backslide, which, being human I occasionally do). Now, when talking about skin rashes, I'm the queen, but, I now clean my face with nothing but a warm, wet cotton round with coconut oil and a dash of cayenne pepper. Occasionally when my rash gets out of control (when I've eaten a candida no-no) I use Balmex (a diaper rash formula) or a yeast/fungus tube on candida's fungus spots on my face. It took soooo many months of experimenting to get what works for me right. When I eat sugars or high carb/grain, milk foods (candida's ambrosias) my problems flare up again, like clockwork. I believe wholeheartedly that if one is serious about getting rid of candida and ALL its symptoms, one must look at the diet that feeds it. I've found, when I flareup, that sticking with veggies and protein the first 2 weeks; then, if I crave something yummy, adding low sugar fruits like frozen, raw blueberries or 1/4 tart apple or 1/4 pear per a day keeps candida in check. Go online and check out the Paleo websites and receipes. A paleo way of eating, along with coconut oil, ACV, and LOTS OF WATER have given me a great boost in my health, particularly with MY candida issues."
04/14/2013: Bill from San Fernando, Philippines replies: "Hi Carmel.... I also had the systemic or disseminated form of candida(both the yeast and fungal forms) and managed to get rid of it completely with no further recurrence of candida in the last 7 years. I also had similar problems to you -- brain fog, lethargy, low energy, low thyroid, skin problems, arryhmias, constipation, etc.
Essentially the Anti-Candida Protocols shown here does much more than just kill candida. The strategy comprises:
Wide Spectrum Anti-Candida and Anti-Pathogen Protocols
Anti-Biofilm Protocols(Lugols Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, Borax, Alkalizing)
Body Alkalizing Protocols
Essential Detox Protocols
Liver Support Protocols
Vitamin and Nutrient Support (Immune System Support)
The Health Defence Diet
I simply used this multi-protocol approach based on Ted from Bangkok's remedies against fungus and a strict diet which is all shown below:
Remedies that Directly Attack Candida(Mandatory)
I must stress here -- to avoid any confusion -- that not all of the attack remedies below need to be used. These are just options for you. Furthermore, if recommendations are needed for clarity's sake -- I have also personally found that using Ted's Alkalizing Remedies, Lugol's Iodine and Borax in combination to be very useful at curing candida problems. But if these nutrients are hard to get -- just use another combination from below of your own choice.
* Take Ted's Lime/Lemon baking soda water alkalizing remedy at least 2 times a day as recommended. I used mainly the ACV, lemon or lime as well as just the sodium bicarb with water alkalizing remedies which also act to kill candida. These alkalizing remedies create the worst possible environment for the candida while simultaneously creating a healthy body terrain. Also take the Baking Soda with waterremedy on it's own throughout the day and one hour before bed - this will help you get a good nights sleep. If you have problems with this remedy, then use Ted's Carbicarb remedy -- this is more balanced and incorporates potassium to balance any sodium issues. Potassium citrate can be taken to more directly aid intracellular alkalization. See this link for the alkalizing remedies:
* Supplementing with at least 50 mgs to 100 mgs of 5% Lugols Iodine per day - 8 to 16 drops a day(or as much as you can stand without problems) in split doses taken four times a day(not at mealtimes) in a glass of water. Iodine will also help to balance your hormones because it supports the thyroid and is also able to remove dangerous halogens like fluorine and bromine from your body. Lugol's Iodine also chelates heavy metals like aluminium, cadmium, lead and mercury from your body and this is very beneficial. LI also kills 90% -- 95% of all known pathogens including candida. You can also use Kelp as the iodine source but this does not really give sufficiently high amounts of iodine/iodide needed to kill the candida in my opinion.
* Drink 1/4 teaspoon of Tetrasodium Borate or Borax(1/8 tspn for women) in a litre of water throughout the day. Take this protocol for 5 days on then rest for 2 days. So, 5 days on, 2 days off with the Borax. Borax is the ultimate anti-fungal, also good for bones and helps to balance the hormones as well as chelates and removes fluoride from the body. Borax affects your male hormones or androgens in a viagra-like manner, which is why you must rest for 2 days -- to avoid gland over-stimulation.
* Sodium Molybdate or Molybdenum. Take at least 900 mcg Molybdenum a day. Sodium Molybdate kills candida and also removes the debilitating candida alcohol and aldehyde poisons from the body via the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme pathway(needs molybdenum) in the body -- this will help to remove symptoms like nausea, flu-like symptoms, aches and pains, brain fog and lethargy problems. Ted recommends supplementing between 10 mg and 25 mgs sodium molybdate a day taken for only two weeks to quickly kill off the candida -- but I've found Sodium Molybdate or Molybdenum difficult to purchase in amounts greater than 900 mcgs(the highest allowed RDA dosage).
* Hydrogen peroxide (food grade) I just use a capful of 3% HP in one litre of water a day when I need it. HP kills bacteria, viruses and fungi and it also helps greatly to clear and unblock the lymph glands. Sometimes I splash 3% HP all over my body, this kills everything bad topically as well as being absorbed quite well transdermally into my body by this method. Very potent against all forms of bacteria, viruses and fungus. Do not use Lugol's Iodine together with Hydrogen Peroxide in the daily protocol because they tend to neutralize and cancel each other out so just use one or the other in your protocol. See this link:
Caveat: Although Hydrogen Peroxide is highly useful -- it does have its downside. Some people get nausea, migraine headaches etc when they supplement HP. HP also inactivates or neutralizes and depletes antioxidants in the body because of its pro-oxidant effects. I always prefer to use lugol's iodine against candida because it isn't as complicated to use as HP. But if lugol's iodine cannot be found or used -- use HP as recommended and increase anti-oxidant intake at the same time.
* Methylene Blue(MB). You can buy this at any aquatics or fish supply store. It is used to get rid of fungal and bacterial infections on fish. Also used throughout the last century as a successful anti-malarial. Taking MB on its own will turn your urine green and the whites of your eyes blue, but if you take at least 1000 mgs Vitamin C with the MB, these side-effects will not occur. Dosage: 4 - 6 drops of a 0. 1% solution of MB in a full glass of water once or twice a day. Do not take MB after 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon - it gives you alot of energy so you will not be able to sleep, MB is a deep acting anti-fungal that is able to penetrate the blood/brain and blood/bone barriers of the body. MB is also a marvellous mitochondrial super anti-oxidant for your brain -- gives you lots of energy.
* Pau D'Arco(Tabebuia impetiganosa). This is a very effective herb against candida with a solid and useful reputation as an effective anti-fungal. This is best taken as a tea or capsule(1000 mgs twice a day).
* Detox and get rid of heavy metals from your body. Due to diet and if you've taken medicinal drugs for any length of time your body will have an accumulation of heavy metals. To get rid of these problems just drink green tea 2 or 3 times a day and eat Cilantro 3 times a week in salads. You can also use Sodium Thiosulphate to get rid of heavy metals, arsenic, cyanide and chlorine. ST will get rid of heavy metals over time. Use 6-10 drops of 10% ST solution in a full glass of water daily. Heavy metals create an ideal acidic environment for candida as well as for nanobacteria.
* Chlorella - Also for detoxing heavy metals and for mineral support.
* Using Lugol's Iodine in the protocols is also the best way to detox fluoride and bromide from the body and will also help to remove heavy metals like aluminium, lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic from the body.
Additional Support with Vitamin and Mineral Supplements(Optional)
* Vitamin C - Taken in the more alkaline form of Sodium Ascorbate -- at least 1000 mgs three times a day. Vit C is an anti-oxidant and also chelates heavy metals from the body as well.
* Magnesium - Taken as Mag Chloride, Mag Citrate or Mag Gluconate. Dosage: 250 mgs twice a day. Magnesium Oil(40% water 60% magnesium chloride) cab also be used transdermally. Magnesium is involved in over 300 major enzyme and coenzyme body processes and also gets rid of any staph or strep bacteria quite well. Magnesium Chloride is the best form of magnesium to take in my opinion.
* Take at least 2 tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil(VCO) per day with meals to help constipation and intestinal issues. VCO contains mainly medium chain saturated acids, very protective for the intestines, liver and blood. Contains lauric acid, caproic acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and myristic acid -- these act as anti-microbials helping to destroy the candida as well as protecting the intestines from any further external microbial invasion. I don't use vegetable oils anymore, I cook only with VCO now.
* Zinc gluconate or zinc acetate - Helps to support the immune system. 25mgs 50mgs taken for one week, then take this dose once a week thereafter.
* Natural Sea Salt or Fulvic/Humic Acid. Both of these will act in the same way as absorption synergists as well as helping to create a healthy intestine and help to supply other important and much needed micro-minerals to your body.
* Selenium - 200 mcg twice a day at mealtimes. Selenium helps remove mercury and supports the liver and thyroid. There is no need to take this dose if you are also already tking the recommended liver support(which includes selenium).
* Vitamin B3 - as niacin or niacinamide. Dosage: 500 mgs twice a day. Be aware of the "niacin flush" effect if you take the niacin form. Niacin is anti-candida and supports the liver, digestion and is relaxing for the body.
* Take B50 Complex three times a week - this is beneficial for digestion and will also help fight candida. It also acts synergistically when higher dose B3 is also supplemented.
Liver and Kidney Support(Optional)
* Take herb supplements like Chanca Piedra, Milk Thistle or Dandylion because the candida die-off will create a big strain on both your immune system and the liver/kidneys which will have to clear the dead candida debris and toxins from your blood. Think of this as taking out the candida trash. This die-off will give you flu-like or liverish symptoms and perhaps some diarrhea. You will probably feel much worse before you feel better. Accept this and work your way through it as this should disappear once your body gains control again. If you have actual liver damage then taking Milk Thistle(1000 mgs twice a day at lunch and dinner) in combination with Alpha Lipoic Acid(300 mgs twice a day at lunch and dinner) and Selenium(200 micrograms twice a day at lunch and dinner) will help to support the liver and kidneys. See this research here - http://www.askdrdesilva.com/hepatitis.html
Candida Protocol Guidelines
At the barest minimum, candida sufferers should essentially use the following strategies in their protocols:
* Use at least two or three of the remedies that directly attack and kill the candida if you can. Alkalizing, Lugol's Iodine and borax in combination are my own unquestioned favourites for killing off candida because this combo has worked so well for me in the past.
* Always use the alkalizing remedies.
* Use protocols that remove and detox all heavy metals, halogens (fluoride, bromide, chorine) and other chemical poisons from the body. Poisons drag down the body's immune system, they acidify the body and create the perfect environment for candida.
* It is also strongly advised that all the vitamin and mineral support nutrients be taken in their proper orthomolecular dosages as stated above. These nutrients help to address other metabolic issues that may also contribute to and exacerbate candida problems. I also tend, whenever possible, to buy the pure powder forms of vitamins and minerals because these forms are pure and contain no fillers, additives or caking agents.
* Liver and kidney anti-oxidant support is also advised in cases where there is a heavy or severe die-off or detox effect, which tends to stress the liver and kidneys thus causing nausea and flu-like symptoms.
* Stop taking antibiotics!! Antibiotics will kill all the beneficial bacteria in the gut and helps to create acid intestines and dysbiosis via a condition called the Antibiotic Syndrome. This is highly beneficial to the spread of candida.
* The Anti-Candida Diet is a no-brainer when you ask yourself, "How did I get candida in the first place?"
Understanding Detox or Die-off Reactions(The Jarisch-Herxheimer Effect)
It has been my own experience that people will always get an initial die-off reaction when moving onto an anti-candida protocol such as this one. A die-off or a detox reaction is due to either large amounts of candida debris or mycotoxins and/or heavy metals or halogens being released into the blood which will cause particular stress on the immune system, liver and kidneys. So liver/kidney and immune support may well be necessary to help reduce or alleviate the die-off/detox symptoms(which is included in the protocol). A reduction in anti-candida dosages may also be required for a while to make the die-off or detox bearable for the user during the healing crisis as well. When people are infected with systemic candida and attempt a cure they should always expect an initial period of time during which they may feel considerably worse due to these die-off and detox reactions. This die-off reaction is actually a good sign and proves that the protocol is working against the candida. This die-off or Herx reaction will vary from person to person and its duration will completely depend on the extent of the candida infection and will also depend on the current health state of each individual at the time. This detox or Herx reaction is completely normal and is medically recognized and will last until the candida debris and poisons are reduced and removed from the body and will also depend on when the immune system once more is able to dominate and control the body's health again.
Essential Anti-Candida Diet(Mandatory)
1. NO SUGAR. No means NONE -- no ifs or buts!! Candida, viruses, bacteria and all pathogens all feed off sugar, which promotes their rapid growth and spread. When too much sugar is eaten constantly everyday, this habit also works to greatly lower the immune system's capability to fight disease. Cancers grow in the presence of fructose found it fruits and to survive they need glucose.
2. Greatly reduced Carbohydrate intake. The Western diet is effectively an energy dense but nutrient deficient diet in terms of minerals and vitamins. Therefore for sugar-loving diseases like cancer and candida, carbohydrates are banned because they so easily convert to sugar in the body. If you can, eat carbohydrates that have a low glycaemic index, which are digested and absorbed slowly in the body and which do not cause high sugar spikes in the body which tends to brings down the immune system and feed the invading pathogens as well. Also beware that Glycemic Index doesn't measure the type of sugar so is not a perfect measure or guide to go by.
2. No junk food allowed. Contains way too much refined salt, MSG, vegetable oils and other additives. All bad.
3. No vegetable oils in the diet. Vegetable oil oxidizes fairly quickly on the shelf from sunlight and very rapidly at high heat because they are polyunsaturated (weak chemical bonds) fats. Most RBD vegetable oils nowadays are also now made from an unnatural chemical process. As far back as 1962, Dr Denham Harman, a Nobel Prize winner who discovered the anti-oxidant nature of vitamins, proved and concluded in his famous experiments feeding mice vegetable oils with their food, that chemically processed vegetable oils or polyunsaturated oils significantly contribute to causing cancer. So, better to use a saturated fat like virgin coconut oil(VCO) or even grass-fed lard for cooking -- saturated fats are more stable oils that do not oxidize easily and are also good for you. Many vegetarian websites quote The Okinawan Diet as their reason for just vegetables being good for you -- which is inaccurate. If you read the book, The Okinawan Diet -- which carefully defines this diet through their research -- the Okinawans generally used pork offal and pork fat in all their healthy cooking -- and, in their pre-WW2 diet they never used whole grain bread, olive oil, soy milk, apples, and yogurt as many articles suggest. When I had systemic candida and started taking coconut oil, my bad constipation and bloating issues disappeared in about two weeks and my bowels became regular again. VCO is very healthy for your body and intestines. I only ever cook with VCO now and VCO has actually helped me to lose weight. Since the 1960s, baby-foods have been using only coconut oil in their cooked products and those in hospital with intestinal trauma are usually always fed with food cooked in coconut oil now. VCO helps to protect the intestines and the body and is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. The reason for avoiding vegetable oils is because most contain hydrogenated fats or trans fatty acids and these should instead be replaced and supplemented in the form of Omega 3 fish oil or hemp oil which is not chemically processed or heated.
4. No soda pop. Apart from containing sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) fructose and aspartame, sweet soda drinks also contain carbonic and phosphoric acids as well as halogens like fluorides in their mix -- all of which only works to greatly acidify your body. HFCS also contains mercury and also contains poisonous chemicals like glutaraldehyde -- which is normally used as a poisonous industrial cleaner.
5. No Sweeteners allowed -- no aspartame, sucralose or saccharine. These are excitotoxins (aspartame) which helps to destroy your CNS. In our bodies, aspartame metabolizes to formaldehyde and methanol which is also a poison. In the old days people used stills to make their own illicit distilled alcoholic beverages and if they were not careful in their process methanol would form. It is also well known that wood alcohol or methanol is poisonous and that as little as 10 ml would be enough to cause permanent blindness in humans. Aspartame is also acidifying. Sucralose is chlorinated hydrocarbons and, in tests, it causes shrunken thymus, enlarged kidneys, abortion, low fetal weights, as these areas are all sensitive to chlorine compounds in hydrocarbon forms. Saccharine, even a moderate dose, can increase significant incidence of tumors in people with cancer.
6. Eat chicken, fish and meat in small amounts. Proteins -- meats -- eaten in excessive quantities are acidifying and, as we get older, our body has difficulty digesting them. It should preferably be partially cooked to ease the breaking down of proteins.
7. No baking products like bread, cakes, pastries, etc. In the 70s the FDA, in their wisdom, allowed the use of bromide and bromates in bread-making instead of iodine. Bromine weakens the immune system and encourages acid body. Wheat also contains alloxan, a poison which can help to destroy the pancreas and cause diabetes over time. Wheat also contains gluten.
8. In your diet, include using a handful of raw, chopped coriander leaf or cilantro in a salad three times a week and drink green tea 2-3 times a day. Maintaining this regimen for a month will remove most heavy metals successfully from your body.
9. No canned products in the diet. Bisphenol A -- or BPA -- is contained in all plastic linings of canned products and is very bad for you. It acts as a psuedo-estrogen -- a female hormone -- and upsets hormone balance, therefore weakening the immune system.
10. No Calcium which means no dairy products -- no milk, no cheese, no yoghurt etc. Avoid all calcium fortified foods. Excess calcium encourages acidity throughout the body and particularly in the tissue cells where it tends to cause myalgia pain. In 1970 the recommended calcium to magnesium ratio was 4:1. Then it became 2:1 in the 1990s. I'm guessing that, probably in another 10 years, these same RDA experts will recommend a calcium to magnesium ratio of 1:1. Ted recommends taking no Calcium supplementation in your diet because western foods are all over-fortified with calcium now. Calcium causes acidity inside the cells when taken in excess and when magnesium is lacking in the diet. Magnesium regulates Calcium in the body.
11. No Fruits. In general most fruits contain citric acid and sugar -- especially the citrus fruits. In a healthy body that can cope with the acid and sugars from fruits it is fine to eat fruits in moderation. But if you are ill with an acid-loving and sugar-loving disease like candida or cancer then any acid or sugar food like fruits will actually promote spread because eating fruits uses up your alkaline body bicarbonates during digestion. This further weakens the immune system, increases blood acidity and helps diseases like cancer to dominate the body. You can eat fruit extracts that don't contain fructose, such as red wine extract, grape seed extract, etc.
12. No Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) allowed for the same reasons as aspartame. The antidote to MSG is taurine amino acid which is mainly found in fish. See this link on MSG.
13. Avoid GMO foods. The most common GMO food is actually wheat. But there is also soy GMO. All soy products which are made from a chemical process -- including soy sauce, tofu etc. Are not allowed. But any soy products made from a natural and organic fermentation process are allowed. If you buy soya products like soya milk, make sure it is organic and contains soya flour. But if it contains soya protein then it has been made from a chemical process and also might be GMO (especially in the US).
14. Avoid distilled water and tap-water. Distilled water is "dead water" -- it completely lacks any important body minerals that natural spring-water contains. If you drink distilled water, this will actually act to pull important minerals out of your body during digestion. Tap-water nowadays -- due to water shortages -- is now re-cycled and chemically processed from sewage (especially in cities) and stored in reservoirs that are fed with water tables polluted with agricultural fertilizers and pesticides, so goodness knows what evil goodies tap-water contains. Enough said I think. Drink fresh mineral or spring water or create your own mineral water instead. You should always drink 1 -- 2 glasses of water at mealtimes. This helps digestion and will improve your urine conductivity reading, provided your body minerals are in balance.
15. Use Sea Salt rather than refined table salt for all your cooking and eating needs. Sea salt contains many beneficial natural minerals, is alkaline, and also aids nutrient absorption and acts like a protective anti-biotic in the body which helps to protect the intestines and liver. Sea salt is also far more alkaline than refined table salt which is normally acid.
16. Try and avoid all (chemically) processed food if you can. Try and eat foods that are made from natural processes without excess heating or use of chemicals. Read food labels carefully before you buy.
17. Whenever you eat your meals, it is always best to eat bigger meals at breakfast and lunch. Your evening dinner should be eaten early at about 5:00 pm because shortly after this time, your body goes into another mode. This mode slows down digestion, making it inefficient, which actually impairs digestion, such that large amounts of food can end up sitting and stagnating in your intestines for anything up to twelve12 hours. This encourages and results in acidity, pathogen growth and poisons being absorbed into the body from the intestines. So, better as a habit, to eat a much smaller quantity of food at dinner in the evening to ensure healthy and complete digestion of food before sleep."
04/14/2013: Mmsg from Somewhere, Europe replies: "Carmel, read up on breathing H2O2 right here on EC."
06/04/2013: Anrea C from Cardiff, Wales replies: "I was treated for Eczema. It was a stress fungus that is not catching, but inturned stress. Nizorol shampoo was the only thing that helped........ It's a commercial fungicide. Follow the instructions to a Tee. Also, there is a book called The Mind Body prescription by John sarno, MD. Stress will beat you up, go look at the free page's on Amazon."
01/19/2014: Jim from Madrid replies: "Hi there, I'm new to all this. I am writing to mainly ask Bill from San Fernando in the Phillipines about his post on this page, and of course I welcome help from all.
Well, I have had a severe problem with my scalp for years. Having had private testing I have become aware that I have candida and also klebsiella. My naturapath put me on various things to kill off both over a long period of time but nothing she tried got rid of the scalp problem. I have a long history of poor digestion, I don't assimilate my food and so am very thin and have chronic diarrhea. I use kefir as a means to slow my digestion and keep intestinal flora up and I use wild oregano oil to keep my bacteria/yeast problems down. The oregano oil doesn't help with my scalp though. One problem I gain from the oregano oil is that is causes me hip pain.
I have read Bill's suggestions and have bought Bicarb of soda (one with no aluminium), borax, lugols iodine and also essential oil of turpentine.
Well, I started on the bicarb as it was the first to arrive. What happened was that it immediately caused me to have diarrhea. This may be fine in a relatively health individual but not in me.
It is obvious to me that I have a very severe case of candida that is probably causing me to have leaky gut syndrome. It requires a hardcore approach. I know that as a child I had an enormous amount of antibiotics as a result of various health issues. I know to keep the probiotics up and I have got the anti-candida diet sorted too. What I want to know is what should I take to kill the candida (and anything else that I didn't kill yet! ) without causing my weakened body more problems?
Bill, you mention Ted's alkalizing remedies but you don't say what they actually are. You mention also Ted's Carbibarb remedy, what is that? I'm scoured the whole of the listing and can't find it. I can't cope with bicarb so how can I alkalize? To me lemon/lime alone is childsplay and alkalizing water doesn't work either.
I'm a bit worried about taking borax and the turp oil but I have to end my problems with candid asap. Having read alot about the biofilm theory of candida I see that I have much work to do. I have tried using the enzyme approach to remove the biofilm but it didn't produce results. When I was on the kill off I took great care of my liver for processing and my digestion was pretty normal, as soon as I stop the problems recur.
I will try with the borax, lugol's and turp oil, and anti-candida diet I shall continue. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.
I appreciate your help in advance.
01/20/2014: Bill from San Fernando, Philippines replies: "Hi Jim...The alkalizing protocols can be found here on EC:
Several versions of the Carbicarb remedy are described here by Ted:
Here is another very powerful alkalizing drink that you could use:
What would also help you is if you had a hair analysis. This will tell you exactly what heavy metals and other poisons(like fluorine and bromine) you have in your body in excess. Similarly, a hair analysis will also tell you what essential minerals and nutrients you are lacking in your diet. Once you have this information -- then you can act on it to regain the health of you immune system.
The at-a-glance activity of the full anti-candida protocol is shown in tabulated format here:
Your reaction to just bicarb was unusual but could have been due to a die-off. Have you been checked for parasites? There are many bacteria as well as parasites that can also be associated with candida infections. If you have parasites, then Turpentine will also get rid of parasites efficiently or, if you prefer, you can use Hulda Clark's Parasite Cleanse(best to Google it).
The MSDS(Material safety Data Sheet), which is the bible for chemical toxicity and handling, in a comparison, shows that borax has about the same toxicity level as common table salt. However, borax is an efficient and renowned fungal killer.
Turpentine has a toxicity(LD50) of about 5000 mgs/kg as explained in this link. Therefore, to kill a man weighing 100 kgs would take about 500 mls -- that's approx 2 glassfuls of turpentine -- to kill him. I'm asking you to take just a one teaspoon dose a day.
For the turpentine, start out with 1/4 tspn dose taken twice a week. Increase the dosage to one teaspoon using drop increments. Then increase the the frequency to once every day if you can. Take this for about one month then stop the turps for about a week. Then restart the turps protocol again. You will have to find the dose and frequency that suits you best.
Also be aware that the most likely reasons for heavy die-off or a healing crisis will come from either the candida-kill remedies(ie Iodine, borax, turpentine, alkalizing) and detox remedies eg sodium thiosulphate, chlorella etc. If this happens then either reduce the dosage or frequency of these particular remedies accordingly.
Unfortunately, in the more serious cases of systemic candida, these Herx or Detox -- healing crisis reactions -- are fairly typical and unavoidable. If nothing happens when you first start taking an anti-candida protocol -- then its probably not working very well."
01/21/2014: Jim from Madrid, Spain replies: "Amazing, Thank you so much Bill!!!"
05/17/2012: Tahir from Khartoum, Sudan Khartoum : "I have fungals in my head and face. Since I am black it appears white knots. May you please advise me for effective anti fungal to be used. Really I AM SUFFERING SO MUCH MANY PEOPLE CALL ME UGLY."Replies
05/19/2012: Debbie from Melbourne, Australia replies: "If you have a fungal infection on your face, it stands to reason that it will be internal too. Just fixing the problem externally will not alleviate your internal problems. You need to do a detox. Can I suggest reading books by Dr. Norman Walker on juice therapy or researching body detoxes.
ACV internally will help kill off fungus issues internally. That should clear up the skin as well."
05/19/2012: Doddie from Lawrenceville, Georgia, Usa replies: "Put straight vinegar on you face. It will burn but leave it on a few minutes. Rinse your face and that should do it. I use to get this from couch pillows, the telephone. I also had to rinse my pillow cases twice to make sure I got all the detergent out. I do not use soap on my face. I use a cleanser cream. You can also use Bonner's soap, half soap and half alovera juice on your hair face and body."
05/22/2012: Had from White River Jct, Vermont replies: "ACV w/B soda and water in morning, borax in water to 'clean' face, and EVCO to moisturize (all are anit-fungals)"
Apple Cider Vinegar
[BETTER BUT NOT CURED] 06/06/2011: Shelby from Evansville, Indiana: "18 months ago, I contracted what I assumed what was MRSA or an STD from a dionysian splurge. It was on the left labia major and was quite painful. I went to the doctor and pointed it out to her, managing to get it on my hands and then brushing the skin near my right eye. The primary infection eventually went deep under my skin so I was not able to see it, but I could still feel it there. My attention was constantly on the infection near my eye, I was not interested in it spreading and causing blindness. Antibiotic creams and pills were ineffective. Eventually I got it under control with stabilized allicin and a few times I even assumed it was gone completely, although it flared up every now and again.
The primary infection bothered me a great deal as well, and I attempted GSE on it, with limited success. I had the eye area tested for MRSA, but it was negative. It was also negative for being a viral infection and I was at a total loss. The things I used supposingly hit all three, virual, bacterial and fungal, so I assumed I had all bases covered. The doctors continued to insist nothing was there, but I felt it pulling at my eye and down below, constantly aching.
A few weeks ago, my eye was itching a great deal, and I put some vaseline on it. Immediately it spread like crazy, all over my face, down my cheek and began to burn. I began to seriously doubt a bacterial infection is supposed to do that, and a new thought entered my head. Perhaps it was a fungus. It was a long shot, but I researched fungus remedies and took a few baths with ACV and began to regularly apply it and am still doing so. It is a thousand times better now, the ACV seemingly the only thing in 18 months to do anything to this monster. Though the ACV is rough on my skin and I do have to moisturize with olive oil.
As I began to think about the infection being a fungus, it began to make much more sense to me, rather than a bacterial infection. I'm not ruling out a bacterial infection, but a fungus one seems to be more accurate.
Please do not rule out a potential fungus infection when approaching your doctor about possible STD issues or suspicious infections in the nether regions. I believe a dropped condom on a sock or shoe was the cause of mine, and I can finally sense the end of this frustrating journey. It never occured to me, as women do not tend to deal with jock itch or things of that nature. "
[YEA] 01/06/2006: John from Los Angeles: "I spent 100 of dollars on creams to cure a fungal infection I caught at the gym...nothing worked. I read about apple cider vinegar, and let me tell you..it works. The vinegar cleared away the dead skin and exposed the fungus. Now let me tell you it stings like hell!!, But I rather take the pain than to have this infection."
Balsam of Peru
[YEA] 02/05/2013: Aurora from Palo Alto, Ca: "Hi, I happened to have infection of eye-lid awhile back, took me a lot of trials to find that any creme that has Balsam of Peru as main ingredient takes care of it almost instantly. B. o Peru is made from a tree, and is a great fungicide for a sensitive area like the eye. They caution not to use it continually, as one can develop allergic reactions over long time, but as a short treatment it is unequalled. I've also used it on other areas of my body with rashes that are wet, infected. Dries it up within an hour or so. No irritation. Great.
Hopes this helps someone."
[YEA] 02/05/2013: Mary from Toronto, On, Canada: "Use chamomile tea to wash your eyes from time to time, I got an eye infection, and I remember when I was a child, I had eye surgery to corect vision and the doctor recommended at that time to wash my eyes with chamomile tea in between other treatment with medication; in two days the pink eye infection was gone just by using the chamomile tea two- three times a day."
Grapefruit Seed Extract
[YEA] 08/08/2008: Zanz from Nelson, New Zealand: "i have recently stumbled apon the most fantastic cure all!!!!!! grapefruit seed extract has served as a mirical cure for my double whammy fungal infection which then spawned impetigo! i had been back to the quack 3 times prescribed antibiotics which 1/2 worked but then the sores spread! i was devistated as they were set to take over my whole face! then fate stepped in and handed me a little bottle of GSE whithin 3 days the impetigo was peeling away to reveal beautifull healthy skin underneath and after just 8 days my face was compltetly clear and even the annoying hormonal breakouts i get on the sides of my chin have shown dramatic healing and i mean dramatic! I took GSE internally and i wash my face with it morning and night and put a couple of drops in almond oil as a moisteriser."
07/27/2011: Kristy from London, Uk: "A few months ago I scratched my inside vaginal opening with period pad which I was wearing. Next 2 days I saw orangish red blood spots but I ignored it that it will be healed by itself. But as the time passed I found out that particular area getting bumpy, itchy and inflammed. I went to the GP. Fungal infection was diagnosed & hence I was given Diflucan. Ater the completion I was again tested and slight bacterial infection was diagnosed but the doc said it's alright. A month later I had to take metronidazole and I started getting the same fungal symptoms hence I went to a doctor and bacterial infection was diagnosed. I inserted canesten (broad-spectrum antimycotic with fungal action and trichomonacide) 1 vaginal suppository 2 times for 3 days. When my periods date approached (same day when last period started in the previous month) the pad was stained then no periods again for full day. Next day it happened again. Today is 3rd day. I am having period pain. But the periods are still stuck.
Please help with your good suggestion what is it and what should I do in the longer run as well? Thanks."
[YEA] 07/31/2011: Mark from Portland, Or replies: "Hi, I've had good luck so far with iodine, I would try an iodine/water mix doushe. After the infection is under control I would put yogurt in your vagina to replant with healthy bacteria. You'll have to do some experimentation."
Lavender and Eucalyptus Oil
[YEA] 02/04/2013: Shelby from Evansville, Indiana: "For the past three years I have been suffering from an unknown infection in the corner of my eye. It took a long time to finally figure out it was (as far as I can tell) a fungal infection. I used ACV on it and IT SPREAD EVERYWHERE. I had to be careful because it is very close to my eyeball, but finally found lavender oil and eucalyptus oil. I dilute and wash my face with one drop eucalyptus, 2 drops lavender oil to 1 teaspoon of water a few times a day. So far so good! I will continue until the bottles are empty, probably a few months or so."
08/25/2012: Kate48 from Houlton, Maine Usa: "I am new here. Neat stuff!! I have had a serious fungal over growth and been helped with Riff techology but still have some resistant yeast or fungus in sinuses and lungs. I have leg muscle and hip, knee and ankle joint pains. Walking is sometimes very painful. I want to get rid of the rest of this. I started taking baking soda in water after getting some info off of YouTube. I was doing it before meals which I am now corrected on. I got a headache with this and I had hoped was die off but probably not. I will follow Ted's formula with lemon or lime juice with water and bs. I want to add borax. Do I add this to the same mix and take after eating?
Also I am getting some relief from transdermal magnesium but would like to take epsom salts and baking soda baths but I have city water which is chlorinated. I saw on one of Ted's replys were he said he added sodium trisulphate to de-chlorinate his drinking water. Does anyone know how much I might need for a bath and what kind of proceedure to use if I find out, so I can soak for an hour with out chlorinating myself?
Also I have had my gallbladder removed and what to know of any precautions I should take with any of the formulas mentioned which I plan to use.
Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me figure this out."Replies
08/27/2012: Citygirl27 from Richardson, Tx, Usa replies: "Hi from another Maine girl (I'm from Bangor, but live in the lone star state). Coconut oil is perfect for people who have had their gallbladder out, because it doesn't try to initiate a bile response like other fats. It is great for tons of other reasons, but just wanted to give a heads up for coconut oil."
08/08/2013: Misty from Usa replies: "I have been reading messages on/about fungal virus, I need to correct a comment if it's acceptable, it seems like people are consuming borax? I read the instructions and it states: Do not take internally. Does anyone read the most important information on the box? Good luck."
08/08/2013: Om from H replies: "Misty from Usa: please read www.health-science-spirit.com-borax.html. It helps doing research as in the times we live in dis-information is rampant for reasons of predation on the populace. Om"
08/08/2013: Scared from Mo., Usa replies: "I have been drinking 1/4 tsp. Borax with 1 litre water for the last 6 months. After about 2 weeks I felt really bad for a few days but continued drinking it. Those symtoms went away and I feel better than I have in years. I talked to my Doctor and he said it is fine to drink. Borax is a mineral and healthier than using salt. I have what I assume to be morgellons (no Doctor will diagnose it). Borax was the only thing that took away the bugs. My environment still has them, I have found nothing that got rid of them. I now have bug zappers in my home and am making some progress. Sometimes the government while trying to keep us safe overstates the side effects. In the 1800's people drank borax water for a multitude of health issues. Sometimes there is truth to Old Wive's Tales."
Over the Counter
[YEA] 06/28/2012: Theresa from Indianapolis, Indiana: "On June 20, 2012 I started searching on the internet for an alternative treatment for a recurring fungal infection which has appeared on my right hand 3 years in a row. For 3 solid years, this fungus has appeared, lock clockwork, in early summer. I have seen a dermatologist, been prescribed multiple creams and even had a very expensive biopsy done in 2011. Nothing seems to work but time. Meanwhile, I was in misery trying to reapply creams & lotions after every hand washing and wrap my hand up at night so the ointments would stay put long enough to work. It was futile. So last week after reading several posts here about the efficacy of Absorbine Jr. On ring worm, I thought, "why not"? Thank goodness that others took the time to post their results! After a week of use (4-8) times/ day, the fungus is nearly gone. I am going to continue use of Absorbine Jr. For at least another week because I know it will come back due to the nature of fungal infections. Normally it would have taken 3 months and lots of battling to get rid of this stuff. Today, I am itch free and 90% cured! Perhaps it is the fact that Absorbine Jr. is a liquid and can dry on your skin instead of coming off constantly requiring re-application. Or, perhaps it is the ingedients that really work or some combination thereof. Frankly, it doesn't matter. It works.
P. S... When you go to purchase this stuff at your local drugstore, be mindful that it is currently marketed as an arthritis and sore muscle treatment. You will have to read the side of the box to see that it can also treat athlete's foot (fungus) to be assured you're buying the right thing."
02/21/2014: Irishpixie from Australia: "Tropical skin fungus:
Hi all, my boyfriend is using Pevaryl for a rash for over 10yrs but it only goes away for a short time and then comes back. He says that the doc says he got it from swimming in the river or it's something to do with his nervous system. Can anyone enlighten us to other alternatives please?"Replies
02/21/2014: Mike62 from Denver replies: "Irishpixie: The fungus goes dormant when the medicine is applied and eventually develops defenses. Cells make electricity that zaps all diseases when nourished properly. Carnivores thrived during a long drought while eating the carcasses of herbivores who had died from anthrax even when the deadly pathogen was in their food. You can search raw food videos. The 80/10/10ers enjoy great success."
02/21/2014: Mr. Ree from Usa replies: "Put either Lugols iodine or regular iodine twice a day on the rash..It should subside considerably in less than a week."
04/13/2013: Kater from Ashland, Mo, Usa: "My son works on the grounds of his college. Got pricked by a rosebush on left ring finger and it swelled and stiffened to the point of not being able to use it last night. Is better today but in reading, he believes he may have a slight case of sporotrichosis, which is a fungal disease. Since there is no real opening, wondering what would be good to treat internally to make sure to keep the fungus at bay. Any ideas would be helpful."Replies
04/14/2013: Mmsg from Somewhere, Europe replies: "Kater, he can dunk his wet finger into green clay or any kind of clay or activated charcoal. These things "pull out" junk. Just don't leave it on for too long at a time as it will be too strong for the finger."
09/21/2011: Linda from Dublin, Ireland: "I hope this doesn't sound mad but the other day I stubbed my finger and straight away stuck it in my mouth but weirdly it tasted of mold. Since then I've noticed it again but it seems to be gone now. I'm madly curious as to why your finger would taste of mold. I dont think I have candida but maybe I do!! . I would love to know-am I alone or does this suggest that I have a fungus or mold problem. Any feedback back would be great. Thanks."Replies
09/23/2011: Sara from The Beach, Canada replies: "I have been doing a candida clean up for the last few weeks, and I am just starting to introduce acidophyllis back to my body plus enzymes, the last few days I have noticed a taste of mold occationally. I too found that weird, but assumed it was part of the prossess because it can take a very long time to be rid of candida. I went the coconut oil and creme of tarter route to cause the die off, lots of skin rashes, but they are calming down now."
10/26/2012: Irene from Sandvika, Norway: "Hello Ted: I have written you a mail, but I got no reply which I understand, but please tell me if my treatment plan sounds OK to you, or have I misunderstood anything?
I have gathered information however, that I think is suitable for my treatment (hair loss and fungus (after a trip to India, I slept in a room with mold everywhere for one month):
Iron, even though its low, I should stay away from it because it feeds fungus (actually I get small rash on my hands everytime I ingest iron)
Low copper--> I will take sodium copper chlorophyllin 200-300 mg a day! (everyday for 2-3 weeks) and 2mg normal copper 4 days a week
Zinc: I have sufficient zinc in my hair analysis, but I will take 10mg a day nontheness (3 days a week)
Manganese- I have taken manganese for some time now, off and on, but I will take 15 mg 4 days a day
The B3(bedtime), MSM, BORAX, baking soda with lemon taken internally and b3, msm, borax applied topically also. 1/2 teaspoon of each with 1 tablespoon of water applied throughout the scalp. Overnight. (borax 1/8 in 1 liter of drinking water, and adding a large pinch of borax to the mix of topical application overnight. MSM taken internally around 1000 mg x 4 or x 5 to help kill the fungus)
Vitamin C sodium ascorbate 1000 mg everyday for 2-3 weeks, then reduce it to 500 mg
Molybdenum- Cannot find sodium molydate, and I have very low levels of that, but I found ammonium molybdate which I will take 1, 2 mg every day for 2-3 weeks, one day of per week)
Magnesium citrate 500-600 mg 5 days a week, I have very low levels of that as well!
I will try to find cooked liver found in chickens and pork, to get some iron.
Meanwhile, stay away from everything unhealthy! After these weeks, 2-3 weeks, I will only take some molybdenum (400mcg), some manganese (7, 5 mg), magnesium (300 mg), and borax 1 or 2 times a week.
Additionaly I will take some fulvic acid, biotin, PABA and amino acids to help the hair growth. Iam waiting for some of supplements so we will see! I will post the results here after 3 weeks!
What do you think?"